U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:40 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,075,301 times

Advertisements

Living in Denver, we take day trips to the mountains. We have gone off-roading, driven up to Mt Evans a couple times. We did a day trip to Pike's Peak and Garden of the Gods. We normally pack a lunch, eat at the top of a mountain, or somewhere with a great view, then drive back down. When we lived in CA, we were 3 hours from the beach, so we could do a day trip there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 PM

8,516 posts, read 3,950,819 times
Go on day trips during the summer and fall, weather in Upstate NY is too unpredictable to travel too much for pleasure in winter and spring.

Usually go to Adirondacks or Finger Lakes regions. Did go to Cooperstown this fall (wonderful little town). Haven't been to the Thousand Islands or Niagara Falls lately. Maybe when the weather is better. Definitely not going in the cold and snow.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:13 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,342,344 times
I told myself during my vacation (which is over Monday so sad) I would go somewhere nearby, but never did. Typically from Los Angeles I have gone to Orange County (beaches and Disneyland), San Diego (just walk around and the beaches), Santa Barbara, Solvang, Ventura, and Tijuana. It usually just involves the beach for me and walking around places. Not really that exciting lol.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,445,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I told myself during my vacation (which is over Monday so sad) I would go somewhere nearby, but never did. Typically from Los Angeles I have gone to Orange County (beaches and Disneyland), San Diego (just walk around and the beaches), Santa Barbara, Solvang, Ventura, and Tijuana. It usually just involves the beach for me and walking around places. Not really that exciting lol.
It sounds like you've missed a lot of what SoCal has to offer! There are plenty of beautiful mountains in and around the L.A. region. Topanga and Malibu Canyons are very close. The San Gabriel Mountains are a little further, but are still relatively close. There are also others within a few hours of L.A. Big Bear is a neat place to visit, and it has a beautiful lake, too!

There are also some beautiful deserts not far away, but it's best to plan your trips for the prettiest time of the year (spring IMO). The California Poppy Preserve near Lancaster has a wonderful showing of wildflowers most years. The nearby mountains near Gorman offer some spectacular color when the flowers are blooming. From some of the higher points, on the years when lots of flowers are blooming, it looks like the whole valley is on fire.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,445,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Some favorite places:
Eureka Springs, ARK
Fayetteville, ARK
Branson,MO
Tulsa,OK
Kansas City, MO
anywhere in the Ozarks
Gentry, ARK
James River, Galena, MO
Beaver Lake, ARK
When I was still fairly young (3 or 4), I used to live in Galena. I wish I remembered more about it. I do remember the kid that lived across the street from me was named Jimmy Patterson! I also remember the time when the gas station in town caught fire (sometime around 1971 or 1972). It was about 1/4 mile from my front porch, and the heat was intense! There are a few other memories I have of Galena, but most of them involved me getting injured. I sure had a lot of mishaps back then!

I also remember going to Silver Dollar City, which would be another option for a day trip for you. I guess it's just part of the whole Branson experience now, though, right?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,878,713 times
We sometimes go to Myrtle Beach for lunch.
We once went to Carolina Beach after a hurricane to see how they came through it and what had changed.
We go to Blowing Rock, Boone, and then on to the Doughton Park Bluffs Coffee House for lunch.
We have taken Fall trips to Lake Lure to see the area leaves and usually eat a meal before we come home.
We go see our son and his family in the Raleigh area and come home again.
North Carolina Zoo.
Andrew Jackson Memorial in South Carolina.
James K. Polk birthplace near Pineville, N. C.
We are planning on visiting many small towns around us this next year. Just go to the town, park and walk the streets in downtown Matthews, Rock Hill, Fort Mill, Kannapolis, Hickory, Statesville, Mooresville, Davidson, etc. I like to find unique purchases.

We don't usually travel in one direction more than 4 hours. Spend a couple of hours and then drive back home. We are retired and the drive is part of the interest for us.

In reading through this thread, it is amazing how many of the places mentioned we have been. We lived in Denver for about a year. We have been to Branson for a week and Southern California, also spent a week in Arkansas.

There are also many presidental homes in Virginia and the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway and of course D. C. is about a day from our daughters home in Virginia. We go up I-77 and catch the Blue Ridge Parkway and use it to travel to her home.

I also like Swans Lake in Sumpter, South Carolina. We sometimes stop off there on our way to or from another location to have a picnic lunch and watch all the goldfish and ducks and other pond life.

Last edited by NCN; 01-07-2010 at 11:46 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 02:36 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,342,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
It sounds like you've missed a lot of what SoCal has to offer! There are plenty of beautiful mountains in and around the L.A. region. Topanga and Malibu Canyons are very close. The San Gabriel Mountains are a little further, but are still relatively close. There are also others within a few hours of L.A. Big Bear is a neat place to visit, and it has a beautiful lake, too!

There are also some beautiful deserts not far away, but it's best to plan your trips for the prettiest time of the year (spring IMO). The California Poppy Preserve near Lancaster has a wonderful showing of wildflowers most years. The nearby mountains near Gorman offer some spectacular color when the flowers are blooming. From some of the higher points, on the years when lots of flowers are blooming, it looks like the whole valley is on fire.
i went hiking a lot in the santa monica and san gabriel mountains growing up. im not that into hiking which is why i dont go anymore. yes they are pretty, but i dont really enjoy walking in the mountains. i think most landscapes in southern california look the same. my father goes hiking every weekend and is a sierra club member. as much as he loves hiking, he is in agreement. most of the landscapes look identical.

i actually wouldnt consider big bear a day trip. it is so far from where i live that i would rather spend a night or 2 there.

any drive more than 3.5 hours each way is too tiring for me to have to sit in the car 7 or more hours. i would rather just get a hotel for the night and make something out of it more than a day trip.

i think this thread has a lot to do with hobbies too. like i said, im not into hiking or trails. i have the mountains in my own backyard and go up a trail often for exercise. yeah its pretty, but im not like in love with mountains or anything. id much rather go to the beach for a little bit, walk around a boardwalk, hear music, eat, shop, and thats it.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 PM

4,471 posts, read 7,287,827 times
I used to take many day trips. I think the way my work schedule has been lately is why I haven't done so much of that recently. I've taken day trips as far as Montgomery, AL, New Smyrna Beach, FL, Atlanta, and Columbia, S.C. I also love going to Charleston for the day.

I actually took a quick drive to Hilton Head last night, though I don't really consider that a "trip" since it's only 45 minutes to an hour away. There is a hotel on the beach there where I like to relax in their many hot tubs underneath the spanish moss and palmettos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel