U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,007,750 times

Advertisements

Have you ever taken a Day Trip? If so, where did you go, how far was your destination from home? Do you often take day trips? We just took one on Saturday so I was curious to hear about my fellow CDers experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 11:41 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,455,819 times
Quite often now that we live in South Carolina...from mid-May to early-October, we often take beach trips to either Charleston beaches (~ 2 hours) or Hilton Head (~ 2 1/2 hours). We also go to Charlotte a number of times a year which is about an hour & 20 minutes from us.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 PM

32,338 posts, read 33,235,306 times
When I was a child, my parents often took our family on day trips to various places. We lived in different locations/countries and my parents wanted us to get the most of our stay in different areas.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:30 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,474,834 times
We do all the time. We take day trips to Orange County (Laguna Beach, Newport Beach) and LA beaches all the time. Before here, we lived in NJ and went into NYC pretty much weekly, since it was only 15 minutes away. We also went to Philly and parts of PA for the day. And as a kid, my mom would take us on day trips around my hometown in Europe on a very frequent basis.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:38 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,861,588 times
Love day trips. Try to take one a week.

This week was Helsingør Denmark and a visit to Kronborg Castle-site of Shakespeare's Hamlet

http://www.city-data.com/forum/12278200-post61.html

Old 01-04-2010, 07:18 PM

25,314 posts, read 24,221,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
When I was a child, my parents often took our family on day trips to various places. We lived in different locations/countries and my parents wanted us to get the most of our stay in different areas.
My parents frequently took us on day trips. We would go to amusement parks, zoos, state parks, historic sites. Sometimes Dad would just want to explore and we would go for a 'ride in the country'. I remember when the car would slow approaching a rural intersection, come to a stop, and Dad would say, "I've always wondered what's down this road". Mom would roll her eyes, sigh, but off we'd go! I loved those days. I remember visiting trout hatcheries, "Indian" villages, wading in a creek and being hopelessly lost.

My son is a Day Trip victim. Dad and I, often just me, have taken him on many day trips. I just asked; he said that his favorite destination was Knoebels Grove Amusement Park in PA.

I've taken my Mom on many day trips. Sometimes they were a birthday, holiday gift. Her favorite was the trip to NYC to see the Radio City Christmas Show, a bite to eat across the street at Morrell's Wine Bar.

I currently live in southern New Jersey and often day trip. The beaches are my favorite destination, but I visit Philadelphia often. NYC is a bit further, a long day, thought I still manage to get there once in a while. In PA, the Brandywine Valley, Valley Forge, and New Hope/Lambertville, NJ are favorite destinations. There are many things to see in each area.

Great topic lilred!

Old 01-04-2010, 07:23 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,530,360 times
Southern Wisconsin, typically Madison and surrounding areas. I can be in Wisconsin in about 45 minutes but it takes an additional hour and a half to get to the parts that interest me.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,479,669 times
I've taken many day trips in my lifetime. Some were just to go shopping for things for the house, while others were more recreational in nature. Most of my visits to museums and theme parks have been day trips, unless visiting museums while on a road trip counts. I've also taken day trips to visit landmarks such as state and county parks, as well as places of historical significance. I've taken many day trips to attend stock car races in places up to three or four hours away, but usually if it's that far, I'll stay the night.

The longest day trip I can remember taking recently was to Sacramento (~340 miles each way) to attend a log home show, about three years ago. I was worn out after that trip, and don't think I will do another the same way. Of course I say that now, but don't be surprised if I do another trip like that at any time. I've been known to do something like that just on the power of suggestion!

My most recent day trip (besides the one I do everyday for work), was to Rancho Cucamonga, CA (~130 miles each way), to get together with some other City-Data Forum members this past Saturday. That was fun, and is something I hope to do again soon.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:43 PM

111 posts, read 401,443 times
About once a month, my friends and I try to go someplace different that's not too far away, which has taken us to many places in Indiana that none of us have really seen before. Honestly though, the best one we've had in awhile was when we went to Indianapolis around Thanksgiving. Indy is nothing new for any of us, but that day we went there with the intention of just seeing some of the sights that we wouldn't see on a normal trip there. Indy is only an hour south of us, but that trip made it seem like we'd never even been there before.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,050,743 times
We daytrip all the time. Sometimes we load up the kayaks and hit a river, sometimes hiking in a state park. Last Sat. we drove to Branson (MO) to go fleamarkets, outlet mall and the wax museum-mirror maze-zombie ride combo. Then we ate at a favorite restaurant and headed home. In the summer, we take a daytrip to an orchard for tree-grown peaches. Sometimes we invite friends along. We are planning a trip to Tulsa to the Jenks Aquarium soon, good to do in cold weather. We are fortunate to be just a few hours drive from many cities, state parks, rivers, small towns, just about anything you like. Of course, I have learned to pack an overnite bag just in case we decide to spend the night. Several friends have house keys and are used to getting a call to please let the dog in and feed the cat!
Some favorite places:
Eureka Springs, ARK
Fayetteville, ARK
Branson,MO
Tulsa,OK
Kansas City, MO
anywhere in the Ozarks
Gentry, ARK
James River, Galena, MO
Beaver Lake, ARK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel