U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 PM

712 posts, read 1,816,049 times

Advertisements

I am currently in Houston waiting for my plane to Honolulu that was suppose to leave at 2:25pm, but has been delayed to a "mechanical difficulties."

NOW they are saying they will have more information at 9pm.

It is a direct flight to Honolulu and they are saying that "this flight MUST go out tonight because there are passengers in Honolulu waiting."

They have provided food vouchers ($8)... that should get me a bag of chips...

This flight will be delayed over 5 hours... what kind of compensation do you think I am entitled to? And what is the process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:52 PM

867 posts, read 1,841,329 times
I don't think there is a process just yet to my understanding thier required to give you another ticket that's it the food voucher things are just complimentary and obviously if you stay overnight thier supposed to provide a hotel/motel BUT this is what I think I'm ~70% sure this is pretty much all your entitled too and I pray I am wrong because it's pretty bogus if it's true What airline just out of curiousity?

Old 01-04-2010, 06:54 PM

867 posts, read 1,841,329 times
And they should offer insurance you can buy so you can get more than 8 freaking bucks

Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,657,961 times
Last year out of Kona to Seattle I was delayed for 5 hours. They gave food voucher and I believe a $50 refund. I was on Alaska.

Then it turned into overnight. They put us up at a good hotel. With a dinner and breakfast voucher. Bused people back to hotel. I was compensated air miles but don't remember how many and free upgrade to first class on another trip during the year.

Years ago I was delayed to Honolulu for 7 hours leaving Seattle. A electrical fire started on the plan. They dumped our gas and took us back to Seattle. I think I was on Hawaiian. They gave us food vouchers and 20,000 air miles.

Aloha and have a great time! The weather has been amazing!!!

Old 01-04-2010, 07:42 PM

2,412 posts, read 6,466,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
This flight will be delayed over 5 hours... what kind of compensation do you think I am entitled to? And what is the process?
There is no federal law or regulation mandating any compensation for a delayed flight. The fine print in the Contract of Carriage only requires that the airline get you to your destination at some point, or it may refund you your money (at their discretion).

Bottom line: you are completely at their mercy. Whatever they provide to you is at the airline's discretion.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:03 PM

Continental airlines.

But what do you think I can get off of it based on previous experiences...

It has been delayed over 7 hours!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:05 PM

AND do I talk to someone NOW before our flight goes out... or do I wait until I ARRIVE... or do I wait until I get BACK?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,857,173 times
Are you a FF of the airline?Did you book and buy with them?Do you fly with them often?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:20 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,657,961 times
Try all. I would talk to the people at the gate. Their hands are tied to what is allowed but they maybe able to give you a process. We didn't get anything for compensation (other than the room, vouchers) until on the flight. Given a form to mail in when we landed. The upgrade I was given was at the end of December. When I was back in Seattle called Alaska and they changed the upgrade until the following year.

I don't think you will be compensated greatly. The true experience of flying.. you just get used to it, when it happens. Although it is easier to be stuck in Honolulu than it is Houston. At least your not trapped like people last year for 4 days in Seattle last year with no de-icer, sleeping in the airport, with only $8 vouchers.

Listen to Pacific - expert in flying information.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Are you a FF of the airline?Did you book and buy with them?Do you fly with them often?
I booked the cheapest flight I could find to Honolulu ($650) expecting to be there at 6:50pm... now it looks like we won't arrive until after 2am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or