U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 AM

4,966 posts, read 7,905,457 times

Advertisements

I am looking into taking a guided tour from Charlotte to the New England states this year.

I am 49 and will be most likely be traveling alone. I'm a loner at heart, and like being unemcumbered and able to do what I want to do, browse without being rushed, etc., and I really need to just get away to explore and relax. That's why the thought of having someone else do the "driving" and planning appeals to me. However, from what I'm seeing online, the cost of these tours is pretty high. I don't mind traveling alone, but on the other hand, I don't want to feel uncomfortably out of place either

I'm wondering if anyone has taken one of these tours, and what your experience was. Are they worth the money? Are they as good as they sound in their "brochures?". I'm actually surprised that they are charging as much as they are, considering the recession and everything. They must not be hurting for travelers.

Someone mentioned there are tours of this kind that cater specifically to women traveling alone? I know of some of these cater to Senior Citizens. I don't have a problem with that, I'd jsut be the "youngster" on board.

Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM

32,207 posts, read 33,112,696 times
I was on guided bus tours when I was younger with my parents and as a teenager alone (age 18). When I was alone, I had to share a room with another young woman alone, but luckily for us we got along well. I believe that if you want a room alone you will have to add a single supplement to the tour price.
Otherwise, it is great to have someone else show you around. But you will have to conform to the tour's schedule so you might feel rushed in places that you might want to linger whereas the tour's schedule's doesn't permit spending more time in that particular location.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:49 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,764,331 times
A lot depends on the company and the particular tour guide. As my traveling friends and relatives started to shrink and personal schedules became harder to coordinate, I tried some short trips. One company I love. They always have several "alone" traverlers and everyone makes friends quickly. The guides have lots of activites that encourage people to meet each other. This company schedules ample blocks of "on your own time" in each trip. Depending on the guide and group, they often make unscheduled stops. I don't care for the other company. It's cheaper, but they are more of the "zip there and back" mentality. I'm right around your age (53) and am usually the youngest in the group, although these tours aren't specifically for seniors. Check around and ask questions. I love leaving the driving to someone else. When you are looking at the price, consider the total package. Are meals included? Are admissions to special events, museums, etc. covered? Some trips, even with the same company, provide more value for the dollar than others. Good luck and let us know about your trip!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:00 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,134,699 times
If you like to do waht you want to do;not be rushed then tpours are not for you. you get to save alot of money on things with them;see alot of things but they are on a schedule and its often very tight. The main advantage is cost foer what you get in the best tours;great eating;best places to stay.The minus is much of the time is scheduled tightly.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:19 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,353,387 times
I am like you. I am a very introverted person, but I love traveling alone. I have gone alone on 3 bus tours but they were all geared towards my age. I HATE, HATE, HATE taking tours if it is more than a day. I did those because I was very short on time, and the other was free (Birthright Israel trip).
To my surprise 2 were great and most people actually went alone. Thing about those tours were that they were catered to Australians, Kiwis, and South Africans. Most people went alone and it was nice because you don't just stick to your friends from back home. The other one was for all Americans (the Israel tour one). Very few people came alone. Most came with at least 1-3 friends or family members. You were seen as weird by coming alone. The only solo travelers that I guess had fun with everyone were the ones that would basically do anything to get "accepted".

That being said, it really depends on the age group, the tour provider itself, and typically what nationality is the majority. People may really disagree with me on that though! I just found with people in their 20s-30s that are American, are much less likely than people from Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa to travel alone. I think people saw me as being snobby and having no friends lol.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:42 AM

22,819 posts, read 28,954,113 times
I haven't been on that tour, but I have been on a couple of bus tours. It's a good way to travel. Someone else does the driving. The bus is very clean and comfortable.

There is a bathroom on board, which can be very convenient. I never took a tour that included a dirty smell drunk on the bus, like you can get on the public bus lines. You can also leave the driving to Greyhound, but you might not enjoy whom you are sitting with, or the dirty conditions.

No risk of getting lost. The tours I was on always provided very nice clean lodging and very good meals.

For one person, it was a lot cheaper. For more than one person, then "frugal" might indicate that driving is a better value.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:50 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,945,519 times
It's a good way to see an area that you don't know. I did a tour bus trip in Ireland & England for 10 days.You are on a tight schedule, the biggest downfall is getting stuck somewhere for a few hours that holds no interest for you and then only getting a small amout of time in a place that really holds interest for you.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:46 AM

72,203 posts, read 83,916,460 times
for what you want, it sounds like it will work. No, you may not have as much time to explore but you will have someone else doing the driving and mostly the company you pick has done the research and will choose the best sights to see. Being an introvert might be a little problem but you might meet a lot of others who are traveling alone and build friendships you didn't expect to build.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:20 PM

401 posts, read 411,417 times
I've done 8 or 9 Globus land tours. I've had a great time on every one. They have very good itineraries, usually very good hotels, excellent tour guides, good to outstanding meals (breakfast included every morning) and are good value. I remember looking into what it would cost to stay at the hotels they had on their Scandanavian tour and, it would've cost you the cost of the tour just to stay at the hotels for the number of nights they tour did. You do have to travel by a set schedule though they do try to give you free time to do your own thing. On the Israel tour I did with them, they gave us at least 1 free day in Jerusalem. One down side if you travel by yourself is you will have to pay a single supplement with them and, the supplement isn't cheap. They say its for the cost of you having your own room. I found the saddest part of the tours was having to say good-bye to everyone at the end. You may not have known anyone at the beginning of the tour but odds are you will by the time its over. Globus tours run any where between 7 days and 3 weeks. The shortest one I've done with them was their Historic U.S. East tour which was 7 or 8 days long. Let me know if you have any questions about them and, I'll try to answer. FYI, I'm not affiliated with Globus in any way. I just like their land tours. For cruises, I use Royal Caribbean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or