U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:38 PM

12,275 posts, read 18,401,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]Dd714, you raise good point but lost so much with the constant "Obama" thing. TSA came from prior president along with all the problems.
That's true. I made it more political then it needs to be. I am upset however that this last terrorist has been treated as a civilian suspect, subject to all the "innocent until proven guilty" privledges given to our citizens and thus very quickly "lawyered up" rather than being handed over to our military interogattors (no not waterboarding, but, geez, our intelligence can't event talk to the guy now). And that's all thanks to the homeland security policies of the current administartion. But, I know, I'm getting even more off topic and soon I am going to get that crazy mod after me that banned me for mentioning Dutch weed prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 04:21 PM

32,063 posts, read 32,968,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I'm a baby boomer and I remember when flying was a fairly easy affair. You checked in at the counter, got your ticket, family walked you to the gate and you chatted with them until they called your flight.

Once on the flight, you had a decent snack and then grabbed a pillow and a blanket, turned on your walkman and had a little nap to pass the time.

I know half a dozen people who've told me - since this latest incident on Christmas Day, "I hope I never have to set foot on an airplane again." I've had one person tell me that they flew a few days ago and were forced to stow their carry-ons and leave all electronic devices turned off and stowed *throughout* the flight! Now that sounds miserable!!

I'm traveling to Illinois in less than 30 days. A year ago, I would have booked a flight on American Airlines. Not now. I've had it. I've really had it. In my job, I had to fly a lot from 2002 - 2006, but no more. Thank goodness for that.

For this trip to Illinois, I booked a roomette on an Amtrak for a price that's about $100 more than the airline's fee. When the Amtrak rolls up to the station, I'll grab my bags, kiss the hubby good-bye, step up on the train and I'll be on my way. This is my 15th train trip. It's so easy and pleasant to travel by train.

And an interesting aside: When I booked my roomette on the Amtrak, I was told there were only two seats left on the long train to Chicago.

My point is, *everyone* hates flying these and lots of people - like me - are voting with their wallets. I've read that Amtrak is adding trains and cars and routes. And I wonder what's going to happen to the airlines? Are they making flying *SO* awful that they're going to go out of business?

I kinda hope so. Then we can divert that $13 billion annual subsidy (currently paid out to the airlines) to the rail system and make it a shining example of mass transit.

How about you? Have you given up on flying the not-so-friendly skies?

Rose
Not every place can be reached conveniently by rail within the USA and if you are talking about most international destinations the only way to get there is to fly. So people will not stop flying when their destinations are far away!

Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
Just hand out a complete weapons kit to everyone boarding a plane.

I still laugh at this and the idea that everyone should fly naked!

We do a lot of unnecessary things. I still remember a very old woman in tears. She was going to see a dying friend for probably the last time. She was in a wheelchair and at least 85 years old. Well, the TSA was feeling very powerful that day. They picked through her HAIR and ruined the set she had gone to the beauty parlor to have done. And it's not easy for an old woman in a wheelchair to get to the beauty parlor. At least that's what she told me in between sobs. And of course, she had the dreaded SS(special security) printed on her boarding pass. She'd had a complete body search INCLUDING having to explain her mastectomy to those people.

Honestly and logically, every last person at that airport was a bigger security threat than this old woman.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:16 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,635,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Just hand out a complete weapons kit to everyone boarding a plane.
Once upon a time, there was a storyline in All in the Family involving Archie demanding equal time to rebut a television editorial in favour of gun control. When he was granted the time to rebut, his comments included a suggestion that the airlines be allowed to pass out the pistols to the passengers as they boarded and collect the pistols when they landed and deplaned. (Of course, Archie wouldn't have known the meaning of the word "deplaned," bless his heart.)

And that was at a time when the worst known airline threat was hijackings to Cuba.

They all screamed bloody murder at Archie's suggestion but for once in his life he may have been right!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:20 PM

13,161 posts, read 20,783,837 times
My 83 yr old mother flew home last week. We had arranged a wheelchair for her, and as she went through security, she beeped. They allowed her to stay seated while they wanded her, then, when they couldn't find the source of the beep, they waved her through anyway. Since she is my mother, I appreciate the way she was treated, but amazingly, this was out of Newark, not some small off-the- radar type airport.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 AM

42,837 posts, read 79,053,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
And I wonder what's going to happen to the airlines? Are they making flying *SO* awful that they're going to go out of business?

I kinda hope so. Then we can divert that $13 billion annual subsidy (currently paid out to the airlines) to the rail system and make it a shining example of mass transit.

How about you? Have you given up on flying the not-so-friendly skies?

Rose
Hypothetically, I'd LOVE to see this! I've had it with this BS for years! Unfortunately, in reality it's not feasible even within such a big country and it's totally impossible if you ever want to go abroad.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:37 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,166,099 times
Default Are airlines (and the TSA)...

Thanks for the many replies. The fact is, I have *had* it with the TSA. Speaking as someone who has flown a lot, I do not feel very safe with these folks at the helm of our little ship o'safety.

In 2007, I flew from Denver to a little tiny town in Kansas. I didn't even know that such little tiny towns had little tiny airports, but they do. This little tiny airport had one little tiny gate and one little tiny employee for its two flights per day.

And FOUR TSA Agents!!!

True story. But that's not the best part. The best part was, we flew a 12-seater commuter plane and on the return trip out of the tiny town, the four TSA Agents checked the nine passengers before we could get on our plane.

And then we walked out to the cement pad and got on our tiny plane. I looked around at the airplane and realized, it basically sat in the middle of a 50,000 acre corn field over night. No fence. No protection. No security. No nothing.

Now color me crazy, but if someone wanted to do harm to the plane, wouldn't it be easier to "tamper with" that little plane sitting out in the field -unattended and unprotected - for the last 15 hours?????

It's all such nonsense.

Rose

Old 01-13-2010, 04:55 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,546,639 times
I don't get all the bruhahaha about going thru security. You look at the TSA website the day of or the day before your flight, you follow the rules and trust me you don't have a problem with security.

The problems are with the people that think they don't have to follow them. They try to get away with things of what usually happens is they are so damn lazy to actually look and learn.

I recently flew while in a bootcast. Of course they had to check it!!! I'd be worried if they didn't! I treated them with respect and in return I was treated respectfully and quickly.

I've never been delayed because of TSA. I've been delayed by other passengers ignorance or ego trips.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:46 PM

2,369 posts, read 3,058,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Hypothetically, I'd LOVE to see this! I've had it with this BS for years! Unfortunately, in reality it's not feasible even within such a big country and it's totally impossible if you ever want to go abroad.

now there's that american spirit and ingenuity that I just love.

america is the greatest country in the world until it comes time to do something about our problems.

might as well just call us american'ts.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:53 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Last week’s TSA incidents par for the course

In the last three weeks, TSA has stopped 24 firearms ON AVERAGE PER WEEK.

Source: Wall Street Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel