Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 02:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times

Advertisements

French police are investigating whether a pickpocket stole thousands of euros from passengers as they slept on an Air France flight from Tokyo to Paris.
This is simultaneously slick and stupid.
The thief, after doing the deed, can't exactly disappear into a crowded street.
Poor timing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
How is it stupid? I would think airline passengers make great targets for theives. Generally they don't secure their carry-on or check their cash before they deplane. Even if they did, the crew isn't prepared to search 200+ people for the stolen goods.

If they get caught in the act, they might be able to pretend it was just a luggage mix-up, since people don't expect pickpockets on airlines.

I always keep any cash reserves, cards, and important documents hidden on my person in a hard location to reach in any travel situation, never in carry-on or out of direct contact with me. I tend to sleep through any train, bus, or aircraft journey, so I've learned how to secure essential items (and to leave expensive stuff at home or ship it securely with insurance if necessary).

Old 01-08-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Even if they did, the crew isn't prepared to search 200+ people for the stolen goods.
Of course--it is not the crew's job.
But you would think the police might be interested in catching the thief, and would persist until he/she is caught.
As rare as this crime is, it is still terrible publicity.
Apparently it happened in the business class section, and maybe the thief has indeed evaporated, at least for awhile.
A passenger raised the alarm after she discovered about 3,000 euros ($4,300) in cash were missing from her handbag, according to Le Figaro newspaper. The five passengers say they were robbed of a total of 4,000 euros, and police spent half an hour on the plane questioning the victims before releasing the passengers and crew, the newspaper reported.
Quote:
I tend to sleep through any train, bus, or aircraft journey
I tend to conk out, too, and like you, I keep my stuff close or in direct contact.
Certainly my money is.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:36 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
I really don't understand how such things can happen. You never have 100% people sleeping soundly at the same time, whether in business class or other. There are always people moving around, and someone going into the 1st class area cannot stay unnoticed. Unless the 1st class people all managed to sleep anyway and the thief was one of them? or a crew member, who knows?
Moreover, if I traveled with a lot of money, I would find a way to keep it in a pocket or something close to my body! (well, I don't sleep in planes, so it's very unlikely to happen to me anyway...)

Old 01-08-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
There are always people moving around, and someone going into the 1st class area cannot stay unnoticed. Unless the 1st class people all managed to sleep anyway and the thief was one of them? or a crew member, who knows?
Yes, I agree, it is somewhat of a mystery and you do kind of wonder about an inside job. I dunno, it's interesting and I am curious to know what the investigation reveals, if anything.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
Here's another one. This time it was Cybill Shepard's son. Is money getting that tight for washed up stars?

Cybill Shepherd's son arrested - WKBN - 27 First News - Local News - Youngstown, Warren, Columbiana, Ohio - Sharon, Pennsylvania
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel