U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:01 PM

11 posts, read 43,871 times

Advertisements

We are planning a short family vaction from FL in late February and would LOVE to see snow and go snow tubing (for the 1st time ever for my family). Can you tell me the best place to give us the best chance to see a real good snow to tube and play in for a few days?

We are leaning towards Gatlinburg but I cannot find a place to go tubing in the Smokies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 08:01 PM

1,765 posts, read 3,752,527 times
You might want to put your post in the Tennessee and/or North Carolina forums.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 15,687 times
Good chance to see snow in Boone, NC. You can go tubing at Hawksnest.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:01 AM

22,554 posts, read 47,345,603 times
Rarely do they have snow in TN and if they do it is too little. But there is one snow-making place.

Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort & Amusement Park Snow Tubing

Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,260,732 times
How about that place in beautiful Maggie Valley? Is it Cataloochee or something like that? I think that's where some of my friends go.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:48 PM

42 posts, read 201,542 times
Boone should have snow. So should places near the Smokies like Newfound Gap and Maggie Valley.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:03 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,050,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
How about that place in beautiful Maggie Valley? Is it Cataloochee or something like that? I think that's where some of my friends go.
NO WAY!!! We just got back from a vacation in Bryson City, NC (20 minutes from Maggie Valley). All they have there is Tony's Tube World. It was a big disappointment. Yes, it is beautiful, but don't go there to expect skiing or great snow tubing. You are better off driving further north like Beech, NC. Maggie Valley is about 2 1/2 hours from Beech, NC. I hear that if you can drive further north to Virginia, it is even better skiing and snow tubing.

We took a trip to Gatlinburg. We weren't looking for snow at the time, but it was EXTREMELY touristy. CROWDS were unbelievable! You couldn't find parking. When you did, it cost $8 to park. Then you walk around, fighting the crowds and all the touristy things were way overpriced. You end up only drive 5 mph because you are deal with people crossing the streets at any moment. We went to Newfound Gap area to hopefully see snow, but the snow was hard as a rock. You couldn't play in it. Newfound Gap is NOT a place to go skiing or snow tubing. We barely found any snow. The views were spectalur. The roads are very twisty turny. This plus the high altitude gave my daughter a splitting headache. If you do go to the Smoky Mountains, I was advised to go in the early afternoon. They tend to close the roads from the evening to morning because of ice on the roads.

I would say Gatlinburg is not going to be any better than Maggie Valley, though like I said, we weren't there to ski or go snow tubing. This is what I found during my research phase before our trip.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:45 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,260,732 times
I used to live in Asheville and Maggie Valley was like 45 minutes or so away. My friends used to go there a little bit, but I hear Boone is far better. That's where everyone goes and wants to be!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 9,767 times
That's a great idea! Going for snow tubing. Do not know when will I get a chance to go for snow tubing. Anyways, you enjoy and have fun!
--------------------------
Luxury Ski Chalets
( scottdunn.com )

Old 01-15-2010, 07:34 AM

12,290 posts, read 18,405,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Rarely do they have snow in TN and if they do it is too little. But there is one snow-making place.

Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort & Amusement Park Snow Tubing
I used to live in extreme east TN. The higher elevations get about as much snow as upstate New York for a given season, sometimes meaasured in feet, although it melts fast given the latitude. The problem is getting there. Many of the mountain roads and passes close when it snows. Small tourist towns like Gatlinburg, which are actually in the relatively low elevation valley, get some but not alot of natural snow. The ski resorts have natural and manmade snow. High elevation ski towns like Boone are your best best for natural snow, and have plenty of tubing runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel