U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:44 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,349,725 times

Advertisements

jlawrence01, are you the dude that calls into Bob & Tom and uses all those ICAO airport identifiers??? Seriously, I've met a few folks over the years that have never flown. Many of my wife's relatives, who live in a small German village, have never flown. My MIL had never flown until four years ago when she finally got up the courage to come see us.

As a fomer maintainer, I don't get people that jump out of perfectly functioning aircraft, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 09:32 PM

9,420 posts, read 17,394,763 times
Once you have your electricity and heat paid and decide you want to try flying... look into taking a flying lesson. Some flight schools have introductory flight lessons at bargain prices, and you'll not only get to fly, you'll get to learn a little about the plane and how the controls work. Don't expect it to be under $50, but you might find something for $100-$200 that will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:45 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
jlawrence01, are you the dude that calls into Bob & Tom and uses all those ICAO airport identifiers???
Who are Bob and Tom?

I am used to using all the city codes for one reason. When you are traveling 200+ days per year as I was, you want to make SURE that your bags come along for the ride. When you check your bag, you want to make sure that the skycap puts the right tag on your bag.

I guess that nowadays, everything is off the computer and that no longer happens.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:58 PM

3,290 posts, read 2,323,409 times
About 8 years ago, I had just started a new job and I was told I had to fly down to Florida, to company headquarters for some training. When the plant manager told me this, I said, I had never flown before, he said, oh is that right, I said yea. Then I said, well I had taken off 8 times but I have never landed. He looked at me like I was a nut. Then I explained, I used to skydive. This was my first time flying in a commercial jet. A few years later I had to fly again. I dont really like it. I felt unsafe, like if something happens, I will die because of someone elses mistake, or by some idiot, or a drunken pilot that I keep hearing about. I heard about another one last week. I always felt safe with my parachute on, and my reserve as a second chance. Just my thoughts.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:27 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,360,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I dont really like it. I felt unsafe, like if something happens, I will die because of someone elses mistake, or by some idiot, or a drunken pilot that I keep hearing about. I heard about another one last week. I always felt safe with my parachute on, and my reserve as a second chance. Just my thoughts.
I was married to a pilot for 10 years and I could tell you stories that would make your hair stand on end. Just because someone has a pilot's license does not make him/her infallible. I would never fly with my husband nor anyone else. The only way I would get into an airplane is if I were the pilot, *and* the mechanic *and* the air traffic controller, etc. LOL In other words, I will not allow another human being make the decisions about whether I live or die. No way.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-18-2010, 11:38 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
I know very few people who haven't been on a plane who are over the age of 14. The ones I do know seem rather provincial.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:30 PM

3,290 posts, read 2,323,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I was married to a pilot for 10 years and I could tell you stories that would make your hair stand on end. Just because someone has a pilot's license does not make him/her infallible. I would never fly with my husband nor anyone else. The only way I would get into an airplane is if I were the pilot, *and* the mechanic *and* the air traffic controller, etc. LOL In other words, I will not allow another human being make the decisions about whether I live or die. No way.

20yrsinBranson

I have heard a few. Lets hear some of them.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:55 PM

2,412 posts, read 6,467,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I know very few people who haven't been on a plane who are over the age of 14. The ones I do know seem rather provincial.
According to this 2000 report by Gallup, 83% of Americans have flown on a commercial airline. Thus, the percentage of people who have NEVER flown is pretty small -- fewer than one in five. So, yes, The_Rambler, you're among a relatively small statistical minority.

Though Gallup doesn't break out the data, my guess is that the people who have never flown probably tend to have lower education and income levels, and are likely concentrated in rural areas and urban ghettos. Almost by definition, those who do not travel would be considered provincial.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:21 PM

2,412 posts, read 6,467,408 times
Quote:
In other words, I will not allow another human being make the decisions about whether I live or die. No way.
Using this same (laughably flawed and deeply stunted) controlling logic, you would never ride in a bus or train. Nor ride in an automobile driven by someone other than you. Nor be subject to the care of a medical doctor for a serious illness. Nor undergo surgery under general anesthesia.

Sounds like a heckuva life. Hope it all works out for you.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:32 PM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Actually by getting into a car, you are letting others make such decisions as accidents can happen due to other drivers or pedestrians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel