U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:01 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,362,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post

I have heard a few. Lets hear some of them.
+1

I had only flown on a plane once up until I was 24, and it was my 8th grade trip to DC. Now in the last 2-3 years I have flown about 5 times and I have gotten used to it more and more. But I do feel like its a bit like swimming, if you don't get used to it young, you will never be proficient at it. I am never just fully relaxed on a flight.

I actually would like to see the %s though as far as what percentage of the US population has flown in a plane, I am guessing it is around, what 75 percent? Is that way to high? There is no way its over 90. I would also like to see the comparison of that stat from country to country, and then lastly worldwide (I am guessing worldwide is well under 30%). Those stats have to exist somewhere, I'll google and report back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 03:26 PM

150 posts, read 413,906 times
I wouldn't consider myself provincial but I guess others would because of my life circumstances. I grew up in a very poor family in an extremely small rural southern town. We never took vacations and I didn't really have any associations with groups or organizations in school that would involve distant travel.

I did eventually move away to a large metro area, but I've pretty much been working my fingers to the bone just trying to scrape by ever since and the opportunity to hop on a plane just hasn't come up.

Believe me, I'd live right in the middle of NYC or LA and fly on a regular basis if I could.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
+1
my 8th grade trip to DC.
Our school system did away with field trips entirely when I was a student

Old 01-18-2010, 03:34 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,486,400 times
There are plenty of people in the country that have never flown. Who cares if someone has flown or not. Flying has become such a miserable experience that I don't care to fly again. I'm hoping that at some point High Speed Rail will become an option for many of us. Spend your money on other things rather than a plane ticket, unless you absolutely want to travel by plane.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:47 PM

12,284 posts, read 18,405,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I was married to a pilot for 10 years and I could tell you stories that would make your hair stand on end. Just because someone has a pilot's license does not make him/her infallible. I would never fly with my husband nor anyone else. The only way I would get into an airplane is if I were the pilot, *and* the mechanic *and* the air traffic controller, etc. LOL In other words, I will not allow another human being make the decisions about whether I live or die. No way.

20yrsinBranson
I think others have responded to your illogical post in the correct manner, I think you might be having an issue that goes beyond pilots and flying (divorce/ex husband issues), but anyways...

My father was a pilot and, in contrast, I can tell you stories about pilots that would put anyones mind totally at ease. There are a few bad apples, but the for the majority of pilots, flying is there life. My father wouldn't change oil in his car. But flying - he was out there with the mechanic personally inspecting everything before takeoff. From me being around the flying/pilot world from a very young age I can tell you that ALL pilots I have met have the same philosophy and due dillegence towards their craft. Almost all are ex-military and have been flying since they could drive.

Yeah I have stories too, many many. None that I have however disparage the occupation of pilots.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:59 PM

2,412 posts, read 6,466,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
There are plenty of people in the country that have never flown.
Yes, there are millions of them. Extrapolating from the Gallup data that found that 83% of people in the U.S. have flown, 17% of c. 300 million people = 51 million have not flown. Compared to the 249 million folks have been on an airplane at least once, 51 million is a distinct minority (but hardly a negligible one).

Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah I have stories too, many many. None that I have however disparage the occupation of pilots.
I look at it this way. When a plane goes down, the pilot and crew usually perish. Therefore, they have a strong self-interest to make decisions that are sound.

As one Continental captain once told me, "If I decide I am not taking a plane up, it is NOT going up. I dont give a d*** what the CEO says, what the stockholders say, or that you miss that critical business meeting. The ONLY thing that I care about is that I get back in one piece to spend tiem with my wife and kids."

Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 PM

335 posts, read 1,142,941 times
40+ years and I never have flown. No desire to do so today with the way people are treated, even US citizens.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:43 PM

I actually came thiiiiiiiiiis close to going skydiving a few years ago but we were going for a group rate and two people backed out and then I moved so I never got to. Is it as fun as it looks?

Old 01-19-2010, 04:39 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,348,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Who are Bob and Tom?

I am used to using all the city codes for one reason. When you are traveling 200+ days per year as I was, you want to make SURE that your bags come along for the ride. When you check your bag, you want to make sure that the skycap puts the right tag on your bag.

I guess that nowadays, everything is off the computer and that no longer happens.
Jlawrence, "Bob & Tom" are a syndicated radio show out of Indianapolis that usually airs during morning drive time. (92.5 in Cincinnati, 104.7 in Dayton) Among their many "characters" is a traveling sales guy who 'calls" the show just after he lands at an airport. I forget the characters' name, but he goes thru these hilarious scenarios where he's delayed at ORD, loses his baggage at BWI, or has some other bizarre incident as he's deplaning at LAX and so on, rattling off the airport codes like rapid-fire exclaimations. Guess you'd have to hear it to believe it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel