U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Jlawrence, "Bob & Tom" are a syndicated radio show out of Indianapolis that usually airs during morning drive time. (92.5 in Cincinnati, 104.7 in Dayton) Among their many "characters" is a traveling sales guy who 'calls" the show just after he lands at an airport. I forget the characters' name, but he goes thru these hilarious scenarios where he's delayed at ORD, loses his baggage at BWI, or has some other bizarre incident as he's deplaning at LAX and so on, rattling off the airport codes like rapid-fire exclaimations. Guess you'd have to hear it to believe it...
Back in the "old days", I was a moderator on the OLD CompuServe Travel Forums. At $12.95 per HOUR access, you would use a lot more shorthand than you do now. Noone would use anything BUT the three digit airport identifiers and the two digit airline codes.

I am going to google that show. If it is half as funny as Gry burbank, it will be a blast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 04:29 PM

3,278 posts, read 2,320,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rambler View Post
I actually came thiiiiiiiiiis close to going skydiving a few years ago but we were going for a group rate and two people backed out and then I moved so I never got to. Is it as fun as it looks?
Fun might not be a good word. Thrilling maybe. When I was young, I was never the one to climb to the top of a tree. I dont like to go to the top of tall buildings. I dont even like most of these thrill rides at amusements parks, or would I bunge jump. But jumping out of a plane is different. Actually there is no jumping, so to speak. Well depending on what type you do. I did 8 jumps, but it was 25 years ago that I did it. I had to take a class for a week, go to the airport and do some ground work practicing with a mock up of a plane to practice stepping out of. Practice jumping off of a 4 ft. table onto the ground with my feet together, facing foreward, and backwards as you look straight out, as to not anticipate the landing, so you can land and roll as to not hurt yourself, then get up and collapse the canopy so it doesn`t drag you off. Most of the training is precautions to dangers and what to do to remedy them, hopefully in time, LOL. Now days you can go out and within a few hours, do a tandem jump, your harnessed to another jumper, you just go along for the ride. Not what I call skydiving. The airport I was jumping at, was 150 miles round trip. For years we would go to the airport, to the drag races. There a lot of drag races held at side runways of old airports still today. For years during the drag races, I watched the sky divers coming down, 4 and 5 at the time spaced out, some landing the woods, or drag race officials stopped the races when one came too close to the races. Most when that far off course went completely over the race track and into the woods, great fun. Thats when the training comes in, get out of a tree while hanging 40 feet up. I just lost interest, if I was going to drive that far I wanted to go to the drag races, which I raced my bike a few times.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,150 times
I am 26 years old and i have never been on a plane...and i never will. i am scared to death and i wont take my daughters on 1 either. I dont do trains, boats or buses either (i have been on them, even drove boats) lol i stick to the road.

Last edited by wildflowerpretti; 05-25-2010 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: left out t

Old 05-26-2010, 08:56 AM

702 posts, read 2,796,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowerpretti View Post
I am 26 years old and i have never been on a plane...and i never will. i am scared to death and i wont take my daughters on 1 either. I dont do trains, boats or buses either (i have been on them, even drove boats) lol i stick to the road.
Statistically, it is much likelier to have a car accident than the other modes of transportation you mentioned. Although people are afraid to leave their lives to other people's hands, driving does the same thing, as you can't control the other cars on the road.

I think flying enables one to see other parts of the world and to learn what's out there and to grow mentally and intellectually. Nowadays, many professional jobs require flying for training, client meetings, etc.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:27 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,473,882 times
My first time on a plane was at 21 so that's covered and my hubby was until he was 28 and we went on our honeymoon. He never would have thought of taking a flight because he grew up constantly worried about the electricity being turned off or where his next meal would come from. Now he looks forward to it.

But I do know of plenty of people (more like students between 16-18) who have never been on a airplane. I work with low income, first generation college students so for them to be on an airplane is a big deal. I'm glad I have been there to witness that experience and see their reactions to flying, it never gets old.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:47 AM

6,153 posts, read 6,322,548 times
There are a lot of people who are afraid to fly because of all the horror stories regarding flying they have heard. While I will be the first to admit airlines take a cattle car approach to packing in as many passengers on a flight as they can, most of the horror stories you hear rarely happen. Futhermore, there are things you can do to reduce the chances of these problems occurring even more.

Most of the problems at the TSA screening checkpoint are brought on by the passengers themselves. The regulations regarding liquids, gels, and other items are quite clear. Yet passengers continuely try to slip excessive amounts of these items past screening. Then when the items are discovered the passenger either tries to play stupid or goes off on a rampage. Many passengers choose not to check any bags, which is fine until they arrive at the screening point with 2 rollerboard suitcases and an oversized backpack all crammed to capacity. If you follow the regulations and place items you need to remove from your bag for visual inspections in an easy to get location, chances are very good you will not have any problems. I go thru screening checkpoints 100's of times a year and have never had a problem.

I strongly suggest one check in on-line as close to 24 hours as possible before the departure. Your chances of getting the seat you want are much better. If you can not get the seat you want, don't give up. Get to the airport at least 90 minutes before the flight and ask the check in counter agent if they can get you a better seat. If that does not work then show up at the boarding gate at least 60 minutes before the flight. As soon as the gate agent shows up ask them if they can switch your seat. I often travel on short notice and have always been able to get an asile seat.

If you have a carry-on item that you want to put in the overhead bin, do not wait till the last minute to board. If the flight is full overhead bin space will run out before the last passenger boards. Wait near the gate and as soon as they call your group get on. If by the time you are boarding the plane is getting full, do not wait til you get to your row to see if there is space to stow your carry-on. Stow it in the first open spot you find. If you wait til you get to your row and do not find any space, chances are the open spot you passed up will be filled before you get back to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel