U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:05 PM

150 posts, read 413,826 times

Advertisements

I'm almost 30 and have never traveled by plane. I just haven't had the opportunity. This came up in conversation and the three other people involved were totally astounded. Is this common or am I part of a small statistical minority? Just curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:44 PM

13,160 posts, read 20,776,233 times
The only people I ever met who had never flown were my in-laws. They have both died, so that won't change. I have been thinking about this for a few minutes, and can't think of a single other person I know of.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:04 AM

5,677 posts, read 8,590,315 times
I don't know any 30 year old who has never been on a plane, I think it's time to buy a ticket and get on a flight Although I must warn you that traveling by plane these days is quite an ordeal and not at all enjoyable as it once used to be.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:38 AM

150 posts, read 413,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I think it's time to buy a ticket and get on a flight
Oh believe me, I would if I could. I'm more concerned with coming up with the money for stuff like food and electricity at this point...

Surely I'm not the only one?!

Old 01-16-2010, 11:10 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
I suggest volunteering for the Civil Air Patrol The Civil Air Patrol and then you will be able to get ride a plane for free at some point most likely.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:57 PM

111 posts, read 399,279 times
3 of my friends have never flown. One is a good friend of mine that is going on a trip with me later this year, so he will finally fly. He's 32. Then there's another buddy and his wife, who are 31 and 33. My buddy wants to fly somewhere, but his wife is scared to death at just the thought of it.

Another buddy flew for the first time a couple years ago and he was 32 at the time.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:04 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,345,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rambler View Post
I'm almost 30 and have never traveled by plane. I just haven't had the opportunity. This came up in conversation and the three other people involved were totally astounded. Is this common or am I part of a small statistical minority? Just curious...
I have been on exactly three planes in my lifetime and in all three cases, I was in the military. If I had not been in a position where I did not have a choice in the matter, I would have never flown on a plane in my life. I have not flown since and I never intend to again.

It's perfectly sensible if you ask me. If I can't drive there, or take a bus or a train or a boat. I don't really need to go. One day I want to go to Australia, but hopefully, I will find a ship to take me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-17-2010, 06:40 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,183,245 times
I do not know of anyone over the age of 14 that has never been on a plane. Try to save up some money and just travel somewhere. It is a fantastic experience even if it is just a 50min $49 flight on Southwest Airlines go somewhere. To be up in the air at 500mph at 34,000ft its great!
In the US you are a large minority in the world you are the majority but every year more and more people fly.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:03 PM

127 posts, read 271,489 times
My grandfather took his first flight when he was 80! He wasn't even scared, just said it was interesting. My cousin has never flown, she is 38. She is scared to fly. Flying is amazing and so convenient, you can fly across the entire country in 5 or 6 hours. Get a window seat if you go, not over the wing, so that you can check out the sights!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:48 PM

14,257 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I do not know of anyone over the age of 14 that has never been on a plane.
You are in the industry. I know HUNDREDS of people OVER 14 who have never been on a plane. Now I will admit that I have converted at least a dozen of these "flying virgins" over the years.

My father flew with me to LAS one year. I had assumed that since he was in the Austrian occupation forces in the 50's that he had flown. He planted himself in the window seat and had his nose pressed against the windoe for over three hours.

As for me, I was a reluctant flyer. I only flew CVG-DCA as I had a job interview. I was scared to death until the flight attendants started passing out omelettes at which point it wasn't all that bad.

I still hate to fly although for over a year, I commuted weekly between STL and YUM (while my wife commuted between STL and BOS). So, I sit in the aisle and read pretending that I am on the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel