Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:23 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of them that I love, but here are the ones I can think of:

Newark Liberty (but perhaps I'm biased towards my home airport)
Las Vegas MacCarran
Tampa Int'l
Palm Beach International
Orlando
Ft. Lauderdale
LAX
San Francisco
Charleston, WV (tiny but it's neat, atop the mountains)
Columbus (an amazingly nice airport for a smaller city)
White Plains, NY
SeaTac
Austin
Phoenix SkyHarbor (I love the name "sky harbor", too)
Detroit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 02:25 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,099 times
Beckley WV was kind of fun. In the waiting area they have Bibles at the end of each row of seats! And the passenger planes are basic and extremely noisy inside. I flew from Beckley to Washington Dulles, there wasn't half a bit of difference between the two airports!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:39 PM

402 posts, read 853,119 times
Detroit- Only stopped there once, but it was really nice. Love that train that runs against the wall.

Huntsville- Gotta vote for my home airport. Small, but still a good number of flights, very quick, well kept.

Washington Dulles- Gotta love the main terminal. Gonna be even better when they finish the inter-terminal train system.

Memphis- Good airport, but where else can you get Memphis southern pit barbeque while you change planes?

Worst

Kansas City- It was built before security so you could drive up to your gate, but now you can only get to 5 gates per checkpoint. Behind that there's only 1 bathroom (mens, womans) and one snack stand. very cramped.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:47 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post

Worst

Kansas City- It was built before security so you could drive up to your gate, but now you can only get to 5 gates per checkpoint. Behind that there's only 1 bathroom (mens, womans) and one snack stand. very cramped.
Had to kill about 4 hours at the Kansas City airport once. To make matters worse I made the mistake of buying a stale dried out sandwich from the snack stand.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:16 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
I have to vote for my home airport, Nashville. Where else can you be entertained in the airport? They have all Types of music, with live singers.

I like Sea-Tac for the Seafood restaurants, and nice shops.

Tpa-Tampa, for the nice Monorail.
Fll-Fort Lauderdale

Charlotte, lots of eateries

I dislike EWR-newark, their international travel terminal is a joke. I had to Drag my own luggage all the way over to another gate, not close by. In Charlotte, I took it off one Terminal, and put it on another, no dragging.
At Newark coming from Barcelona, with a change in Newark, then on to Nashville, I actually had to take the Monorail, and then go thru security again, carring all my carry-on luggage. Lets say it would bot be possible for a Handicapped person to do. In Charlotte, you did not have to go thru security again, and passengers with continuing flights went on a separate line. Not so in Newark where you were on the same customs line as the people that reached home. This caused many to miss their flights or run to the next one, because the customs line was long with both continuing and passengers that were already home.
Next time I travel abroad and have to use a NY airport it will be Philly, where you don't have to go thru security a 2nd time.
This was last May, and it was a horrible experience.

Diane G

Old 08-15-2009, 09:48 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
Favorite for what? JFK is great for airline and plane spotting (though nothing in the world beats LHR for that); NW's terminal in DTW is a breeze for making connections.

I especially dislike DFW and ATL for connections. And EWR??? Ugh! The rudest airline staff in the country, delays are commonplace (and brutal), and just pray that you don't have to go out of security to make your connection. EWR stinks.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:49 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Philadelphia and Newark Liberty

Old 08-16-2009, 01:47 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Both the big California airports (LAX, SFO)are big and cumbersome to get around in. Sacramento is a jewel. Only two terminals,lots of amenities,good connections, especially to Mexico. Midway is user-friendly and the best way to Chicagoland. The best FOOD I've had was ,unexpectedly, in Orlando. Concur with whoever mentioned Detroit.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:13 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
I love SAN. Now that I live in San Diego, I'm astounded that I can show up for a flight 45 minutes before departure, get through security, and make it on the plane on time. We moved here from the NYC area, where JFK, EWR, and LGA were our most used airports and had to show up hours before just to get through the horrific security lines, not to mention the # of flight cancellations there. It's no wonder all 3 made the top 5 worst airport list. While San Diego doesn't offer as many flight options as some others, it's by far my favorite because of the convenience it offers travelers.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:48 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Had to kill about 4 hours at the Kansas City airport once. To make matters worse I made the mistake of buying a stale dried out sandwich from the snack stand.
You have my sympathies. KCI is a good place to go in and out of because it's never far from the door to the gate, but it's a rotten place to be delayed. Just rotten.

I can think of many worsts, but the only ones that made me honestly, seriously consider deliberately jamming a finger down my throat to induce vomiting were Vegas and Reno. Rather than listen to slot machine racket, could I please have some sounds that are less irritating, like dentist's drill or screaming baby yammers? I wanted to scrub my body with Granny's lye soap and a wire brush after I left. (And no, neither was my destination. Just transit points to other places.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel