U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 01:11 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,992,435 times

Advertisements

We are helping put a 19 year old Ugandan girl through university. She's living in a city now but grew up in a village with no power or running water. So modern conveniences are still new and confusing to her.

We have invited her to spend a month with us but she'll need to fly alone to get here. I'm afraid she is going to be overwhelmed trying to get through the airports as this will all be so totally foreign to her. She simply doesn't have the experience to know how things work in a very modern world...things as simple as using the bathroom on the plane, or the fact that the meals and drinks are free, or automatic soap and water dispensers. She speaks good English but is soft-spoken and has some trouble understanding English when spoken too quickly, or the different accents.

I fear she'll get panicky and won't want to ask anyone for help. I've travelled extensively and still feel a bit disoriented in airports I've never been to.

I'm wondering if there's a better solution than me just emailing her an FYI list?

We will fly her direct to London and pick her up there so she won't have to transfer to get to Scotland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 03:47 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,691,862 times
I have a feeling that your "mama bear" is kicking in and she's a lot more self-sufficient than you give her credit for.

I'd suggest that you tell her to approach anyone in uniform for help if she needs anything.

As far as automatic soap and water dispensers, she'll see others use them and catch on, or she'll see the little pictograms and figure it out--if she's smart enough to get into a university she'll be fine. Same with the toilets on the plane.

I'd let her know that the drinks and snacks on the plane are free (double check that with the airline--they aren't on some flights anymore).

I'm sure she'll do just fine. :-)

Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 PM

28,293 posts, read 39,992,092 times
I would contact the airports she is passing through to see if they have people who job is to help those new to airports.

You might also find that a message can be left for the specific flight letting the attendants know she may need extra help or advice. The majority of flight attendants are more than willing to help out.

It never hurts to ask.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:45 PM

2,412 posts, read 6,475,881 times
Does she now have internet access? Would it be possible for you to make a Flying 101 tutorial video and post it on YouTube for her to see? If so, she could watch it over and over again to understand it clearly. Perhaps you could include some photos of airplane cabin, lavatory, etc. for her to see. (there are lots of airplane pictires, including cabin views, at airliners.net)

Also, be sure she has your mobile phone number written on a piece of paper -- or better yet, write a letter out explaining her situation and have your name and address and phone number on it, tell her to show it to the airline staff for help. If she has a number for you and she has problems then she could give it to someone who could call you for assistance.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:21 PM

125 posts, read 444,247 times
You could either purchase her something like this or alternatively, make up one of your own for her with items you think she might need.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:43 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,992,435 times
Thanks for your tips.

Aye, mama bear is kicking in. This girl is very intelligent but simply unexposed and inexperienced. We had to teach her how to put a seat belt on.

She has access to the internet but it is dead slow so videos are impossible. I think her major problem will be that she's been taught that speaking quietly is respectful. So she can be very hard to hear. She'll also have trouble understanding some people's accents.

Only US owned airlines ever charge for food, except for the cheapie short flight European ones like Ryanair. We'll have her fly British Airways as it's the only one she can fly direct to London. Transferring would be a nightmare for her and us. So she'll just have to find her way through immigration, then baggage pick up. I'll explain security to her and what she can and can't bring.

It's hard to imagine for those of us in the modern world, but this girl has never used an elevator, escalator, drinking fountain, or even been able to drink water from a tap w/o boiling it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or