U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:39 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,911,600 times

Advertisements

Well, I am thinking that inasmuch as I am fairly north in Maine that I might drive up to Montreal and Quebec City. It appears to be just under 400 miles.

Anyone been to either city recently? Any suggestions about traveling in Canada these days?

I do have a valid passport, always do, and a car filled with my clothes and personal belongings.

Just some petrol and the motivation!

Love to hear some thoughts! Recommendations for places to stay and things to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 02:41 PM

2,178 posts, read 6,447,083 times
Don't forget to check out the Canada forum too. Probably lots of good ideas there.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Don't forget to check out the Canada forum too. Probably lots of good ideas there.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:13 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,323,692 times
I went to Montreal once! It is a wonderful city. You must go to mount royal to get a view of the city and definetly check out the old part of it. It's a great city!

Old 05-25-2007, 09:43 PM

2,375 posts, read 7,763,353 times
Hey ontheroad, I think you live in one of the best towns on the Maine coast. But since everyone needs a change of scenery once in awhile, Quebec is a great road trip from Maine.

In addition to Montreal and Quebec City, check out the Laurentian Mountains about an hour north of Montreal. Many beautiful towns and lakes. Also the "Eastern Townships" just north of Newport, VT are nice. Magog and Mt. Orford are very nice areas. Bon Voyage!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:11 PM

414 posts, read 2,416,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Well, I am thinking that inasmuch as I am fairly north in Maine that I might drive up to Montreal and Quebec City. It appears to be just under 400 miles.

Anyone been to either city recently? Any suggestions about traveling in Canada these days?

I do have a valid passport, always do, and a car filled with my clothes and personal belongings.

Just some petrol and the motivation!

Love to hear some thoughts! Recommendations for places to stay and things to do!
I went to Quebec City last fall and had a great time. I recommend Quebec City much more strongly, there is a lot of history, restaurants and shops, and an abundance of outdoor things very close by. It is the true Quebec. Montreal can be nice but it is more isolated from other things in Canada. The Quebec City area is also beautiful.

Hmm you can find some nice places to stay in the lower town area of Quebec City or you can choose to leave it. We stayed at Auberge Le Petit Sejour in Chateau-Richer about a 20-25 min drive along the St Lawrence from the city. Nearby they have Montmorency Falls, a great breakfast every morning with views of the St Lawrence from the dining room!, and views of the St Lawrence from some of the rooms. http://www.quebecweb.com/petitsejour/introang.html (broken link)

You can go up to Mont Saint Anne after 10 am and take the lift to the top for scenic views of the entire Charlevoix region. There is very nice horse farms and places in the Charlevoix region, the cathedral of St Anne de Beaupre, the Cap Tourmente, La Malbaie, great hiking and things to explore. And for your highlight dinner, nothing could be finer and more traditional than the Auberge Baker also in the area: http://www.quebecweb.com/aubergebaker/restoa.htm

Driving in Quebec City you need to keep your eyes out, parking is harder to find but there are garages here and there. I like the outdoors myself so I was much more interested in visiting the mountains, cathedrals and towns then the city itself, although it is recommended to do the 1 or 2 hour bus tour to see the sights if you have time. Its a hilly city so make sure when you walk down that you are going to walk back up as much. Have fun!

Old 05-26-2007, 06:43 AM

wallstreet1986 and recycled,

Many thanks for your recommendations. I don't permanently live in Belfast (just a long sojourn) but yes, it is very beautiful, recycled.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:37 AM

469 posts, read 2,556,483 times
I visited Montreal back in 2004. I stayed at the Auberge Maeva hostel, and was very pleased with the service at that time. I liked Le Biodome and le basilique de Notre Dame de Montreal. I mostly just wandered around the city and had a wonderful time. Very safe, clean city. Lots of people smoke marijuana, maybe that's why they're all so chill. Please note that everything closes by 10pm, which was a real hardship for me when I needed some feminine products at 1am and couldn't find a store open anywhere!!

Old 05-27-2007, 06:35 AM

Thanks for this info. Was this hostel an international affiliate or is this just as in France the word for housing? Curious!

And, like you, I love to wander, but I don't do weed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
I visited Montreal back in 2004. I stayed at the Auberge Maeva hostel, and was very pleased with the service at that time. I liked Le Biodome and le basilique de Notre Dame de Montreal. I mostly just wandered around the city and had a wonderful time. Very safe, clean city. Lots of people smoke marijuana, maybe that's why they're all so chill. Please note that everything closes by 10pm, which was a real hardship for me when I needed some feminine products at 1am and couldn't find a store open anywhere!!

Old 05-28-2007, 09:25 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,380,968 times
It's true - Quebec City is astonishingly beautiful, and a terrific place to visit. The naval battles that settled (perhaps that's not the word I want to use, actually...) the political fortunes of the continent were fought there, and the sites are absolutely gorgeous. I've spent a bit of time in Europe over the decades, but I've never been anyplace more beautiful than Quebec City. And I speak about a dozen words of French.

Still, Montreal is my favorite city in the world. Montrealers take culture and the arts very seriously, and watching the world go by from a sidewalk cafe is something of a civic religion. Montreal knocks itself out to show the word a good time in a particularly Montreal way. It's a city of festivals. The Jazz Festival, The International fireworks festival, the Montreal highlights festival, the Just for Laughs Festival, The International film festival, The Franco Follies, the Grand Prix, The Nuits De Africain, The Carrefiesta, and several dozen more. It's also a very affordable city, even with the dollar at par. This is partly due to the verdant farmland just to the South of the city. That makes food inexpensive, and as you can imagine, Montrealers take food very seriously. And while it's true that in some parts of town, a Depanieur (French for corner store, only misspelled!) can be hard to find open late, in several parts of town the festive spirit lasts well into the night. Montreal is also a fabulous city for bicycling. There are bike paths in all the most scenic and advantageous spots it seems, and they are well used.

Have a ball!

David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel