U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:01 PM

5,677 posts, read 8,590,315 times

Advertisements

I thought we are in a recession? no? I just got back from a 5 day trip to Cabo and was astonished to see how expensive the restaurants are there...about 20-30% more expensive than here in the US. Eating breakfast/lunch/dinner/a few drinks out can easily top $100/day! Seems overpriced for what is essentially a 2nd world country. The Dominican Republic was a hell of a lot cheaper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 08:44 AM

4,919 posts, read 19,847,461 times
There are enough american tourist who will pay those prices. Until people start saying its too expensive to go to cabo, the business have no reason to lower prices.
You should look at Hawaii, many resorts are hurting and have some sweet deals, but there are those where it is still the place to go for those with money so their rates are still sky high.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:52 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
The DR is viewed as more of a budget destination - Cabo is viewed as more of a higher end destination

Usually the people who can afford to spend 5 nights in cabo aren't the ones who are struggling to put food on the table due to the recession - as such the restaurants and services will continue to charge their normal prices ..... even if the resorts offer lower pricing and more incentives than they normally would to get you there

Old 01-22-2010, 03:29 PM

10 posts, read 27,831 times
I am trying to plan a trip to Cabo in April! Did u stay at a resort?

Old 01-22-2010, 05:53 PM

5,677 posts, read 8,590,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbeats View Post
I am trying to plan a trip to Cabo in April! Did u stay at a resort?
I stayed at the Solmar Suites, it's on a drop dead gorgeous beach but I don't recommend it...the staff is not too friendly once they realize you are not interested in their stupid timeshare Half the beach is also populated by cranes since they are building a new extension which is an eyesore and the existing hotel rooms are extremely dated. I didn't go all inclusive since I wanted to try different restaurants in the city and do my own thing...of course that came at a steep cost but the all inclusive option at this place was an additional $90/day... that seemed very pricey to me, I don't think I am going to eat $90 of food and drinks and if it's no good then you're locked in. All-inclusive food is usually crap and the drinks are watered down anyway.

I found that alcohol is fairly inexpensive (Solomon's landing at the marina has bar specials $2 beers and $3.50 cocktails, otherwise usually the standard $5-6/drink), seafood is expensive... shrimp burrito $15, pescado del dia (fish of the day) $25 or so Lobster $30+... too much. I saw one place advertising "surf and turf" for $75, a rip off! Other stuff like burritos are more reasonable in price which is odd considering that is a huge fishing area!

Cabo itself is an absolutely beautiful place! If you're into diving then it's pretty awesome, I did 2 wall dives (North Wall and Pelican Rock) and the marine life was fabulous and the water temp was 73F. Snorkeling is also very good at Pelican Rock.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:28 PM

39,527 posts, read 47,687,050 times
In Cabo you're a captive audience. They know Americans, and other foreigners, can afford and will pay higher prices. Cuz if you complain and make a fuss about it with them, adios to the jailhouse where it will cost you a lot more.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:42 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,408,296 times
We live in San Diego and the fares to Cabo are more than half of what it costs to go to Australia. Celebrities from LA flock to Cabos, and as long as they do, the prices there will be high. It's a known celebrity winter destination and if you want to mingle among the stars, be prepared to pay. We decided that we'd rather go to Australia or Tokyo instead.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 12,667 times
So over priced. RIDICULOUS !!!! Bought my daughter an ice cream cone at the Marina Mall in Cabo. It was ten dollars. Hawaii prices in Mexico? What are they thinking? I don't have to fear for my safety in Hawaii. I'll never be back.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,764,328 times
it's a resort town. resort towns are expensive everywhere in the world.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:08 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,149,308 times
MMMM...Phuket where I was last week is also a resort town (albeit probably less pleasant than Cabo I guess..) where I had free servings- thought I was going to burst, but the food was so yummi- in a fine restaurant for 2 a few nights ago for the unbelievable sum of 720 Bahts = 23 $(service included) !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel