U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 02:49 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusParent View Post
To get a copy of the rental agreement, I have to request it from Alamo in writing and wait "about 21 days". So how can Alamo charge your credit card without a requirement to prove that you owe the money?
They have your credit card number, they can charge whatever they want. It's up to you to dispute it with the CC company.
I will say it again one last time - screw them and call your CC company, dispute it, and have them remove it. Then the CC company does the work for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 04:07 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,862,681 times
Ha, happened to me once.
This is what i went through. Got the notice from rental company. rental agreement said I am responsible for any tickets. They charged my credit card. rental companies pay the charge and bill you so no late fees or scofflaw is attached to the rental car.
I called company and they said they will send me a copy of the notice. Called credit card company and they will place a hold on the extra charge. They asked me if i contacted the rental company. If you have not discussed this with the rental company first, the credit card company will give you a set number of days to do so, send them a copy of your communication, or they will remove the hold.
When i got the copy from the rental company, it was not me and even though the plate seem to matched my car, it did not match the car type and description. I called the rental companya nd they said they will check further. I had to send all this to the credit card company right away. If you do not send them everything as it happens, they will remove the hold.
I had called the credit card company a week later and they said that a credit was processed the day before by the rental company. I got a letter from the rental company a few days later that they contested the violation (the number 1 was really a L) and have refunded my credit card the extra charge. they also threw in a voucher for a free days rental or one class upgrade.
-
You have to show the credit card company that you are working with the merchant on the issue and you have to keep them informed. Just contesting it will only place a temporary hold on the charges. If you cant prove the charges are not valid, your rental agreement takes priority and it says you will pay all tickets against the car when you have it.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:49 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,334,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
They have your credit card number, they can charge whatever they want. It's up to you to dispute it with the CC company.
I will say it again one last time - screw them and call your CC company, dispute it, and have them remove it. Then the CC company does the work for you.
What he/she said

Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 PM

316 posts, read 712,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Long live credit card protection!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or