U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 06:57 PM

316 posts, read 712,632 times

Advertisements

We took DD to Disneyworld in October for good grades. We just got a bill from the rental car agency claiming we ran a toll. We just don't do that. So we're not sure how to handle this - especially since we don't live in Florida. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? Pay it anyway??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 10:20 PM

21,367 posts, read 24,109,773 times
You may have passed under an EZ-Pass bar that runs across the entire highway. Sometimes the signs to warn you one is coming up are rather small. You can request the photo proof and compare its time stamp to the in/out/in time stamps on your contract. Most likely you will need to pay it. FYI - the longer you wait the higher it gets (late fees).

Old 01-23-2010, 04:50 AM

6,157 posts, read 6,325,516 times
This happens all the time. It has happened to me. Contact the rental company and challenge it. Chances are very good they have made a mistake. If they do not fold on the spot, then request proof of the violation. Again, chances are very good that either you will get a photo of a car that looks nothing like the car you had, or the timestamp will be for a time other than when you had the car.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 AM

OK, we will request more information. The only thing I can even remotel consider is that we dispensed the money into the change hopper and the light wouldn't turn green. That has happened to us in the past but we have never gotten a ticket for driving on. After all, there isn't much else a driver can do. But we definitely payed money everytime we passed through a toll booth. And they are not possible to miss. And we know about the line of tolls between the Orlando airport and I-4 and always have change ready. One of us drives and one of us dolls out the money.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:29 AM

OK, here's what I've learned - hope it helps someone else.

There are several ways that we could have gotten a bogus toll bill:

1. We could have left the toll booth before the light turned green. So if the light is stuck on red, you will probably get a ticket.

2. The rental car agency could have mis-transcribed the license plate or the date of the citation. Given the overall terrible customer service that I received from Alamo this morning and the fact that they transposed the phone number for their own Citation department in their email to me makes me very suspicious.

The bottom line is that it is very difficult to reconcile your rental record with the ticket. You will spend hours on the phone and get non-information. You will probably wind up paying the fine.

So here what we are going to do for toll booths from now on: go through a manned booth and get a receipt. It stinks for us and the toll booth department but so be it.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:00 AM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Screw contacting the rental car agency, don't waste your time. Don't forget the power you have using a credit card!
Assuming that they added the charge to your credit card, charge them back - this involved contacting your credit card company and simply saying it's an invalid charge (amex is good about that and will charge the vendor back so fast their head will spin).
If nothing else, it puts the burden of proof on the rental car agency and they may figure out it's easier to simply write off the charge rather then go through the work of supporing the charge.
If you are one of those idiots that use a debit card, of course, they already have your money, and you are screwed.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:51 AM

6,157 posts, read 6,325,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Screw contacting the rental car agency, don't waste your time. Don't forget the power you have using a credit card!
Assuming that they added the charge to your credit card, charge them back - this involved contacting your credit card company and simply saying it's an invalid charge (amex is good about that and will charge the vendor back so fast their head will spin).
If nothing else, it puts the burden of proof on the rental car agency and they may figure out it's easier to simply write off the charge rather then go through the work of supporing the charge.
If you are one of those idiots that use a debit card, of course, they already have your money, and you are screwed.
This approach could go another direction besides the car agency just writing it off. Included in the rental contract is a statement saying the renter is responsible for any fines or tickets. If you simply tell your credit card company the charge is not valid and do not dispute it with the rental company, the rental company may turn the ticket over to a collection agency who has nothing better to do besides harass you for the next several years.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:02 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
This approach could go another direction besides the car agency just writing it off. Included in the rental contract is a statement saying the renter is responsible for any fines or tickets. If you simply tell your credit card company the charge is not valid and do not dispute it with the rental company, the rental company may turn the ticket over to a collection agency who has nothing better to do besides harass you for the next several years.
That is incorrect information, and a consumer really needs to understand the consumer protection that credit cards give you. At the point you used the charge card the contract for payment is between you and the credit card company, and seperately between the credit card company and the rental car agency. You are telling the credit card company that it is an invalid charge. The credit card company tells the rental car company that it is an invalid charge and will charge them back. At that point the rental car company has two choices - tell the credit card company that it has proof that it is a legitimate charge, or disregard it. If they disregard it it remains as an open issue between the credit card company and the rental car agency, you are free and clear provided the credit card company says that you indeed owe nothing (due to lack of response from the rental agency).

Collection agency cannot go after you since, from a legal view, it was the credit card company that did not pay them.

Similiarly, if the OP short pays the credit card bill for the amount of the ticket without disputing the charge - the rental car agency does not care because Visa, amex, etc, has already payed them. But indeed you will get a collector calling you - from the credit card company.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:02 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,334,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That is incorrect information, and a consumer really needs to understand the consumer protection that credit cards give you. At the point you used the charge card the contract for payment is between you and the credit card company, and seperately between the credit card company and the rental car agency. You are telling the credit card company that it is an invalid charge. The credit card company tells the rental car company that it is an invalid charge and will charge them back. At that point the rental car company has two choices - tell the credit card company that it has proof that it is a legitimate charge, or disregard it. If they disregard it it remains as an open issue between the credit card company and the rental car agency, you are free and clear provided the credit card company says that you indeed owe nothing (due to lack of response from the rental agency).

Collection agency cannot go after you since, from a legal view, it was the credit card company that did not pay them.

Similiarly, if the OP short pays the credit card bill for the amount of the ticket without disputing the charge - the rental car agency does not care because Visa, amex, etc, has already payed them. But indeed you will get a collector calling you - from the credit card company.
This is good advice!

I once got an Amex charge from Budget for a rental in Switzerland. Problem was that, while I was actually in Switzerland, I had rented from Hertz and not Budget. I disputed it through Amex and the charge went away. A couple of months later Budget put the charge back on my CC. Disputed again through Amex and the charge went away never to come back.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:41 PM

The thing I found odd is that Alamo charged our credit card for the toll but cannot produce the citation. When you call the Alamo Citation department, you get disconnected after 27 seconds. Alamo customer service says that this happens when the queue is "full" and to "keep trying". I spent 2 hours on the phone today with Alamo customer service to be told to call the State of Florida. I was told that the Citation department couldn't reconcile the rental agreement with the citation. I also don't have the Alamo rental agreement with date and license plate anymore because I discarded it after it cleared the credit card. To get a copy of the rental agreement, I have to request it from Alamo in writing and wait "about 21 days". So how can Alamo charge your credit card without a requirement to prove that you owe the money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or