U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 PM

96 posts, read 240,428 times

Advertisements

amtrak new york to san francisco via provo in 3 days.
shinkansen tokyo to mount fuji in japan.
autotain virginia to orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,757,475 times
Amtrak: Savannah to New York 1984. Great trip! We also had the sleeper cars. There was a goodie basket with some cheese and other things and the wine when we boarded.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:23 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,299,861 times
Have made a few trips by Eurail, great to do when you're in your 20s! It was interesting to be in more than one country in the space of a day, and to be able to see the subtle changes across borders. Not so scintillating in the tunnels though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I took one from Tampa to New Orleans in Summer 2005. Well, technically from Orlando to New Orleans, as we had to take an Amtrak bus out of Tampa. I loved it. You have access to views that are sometimes impossible to replicate when traveling by car. Amtrak staff was great...they always were very friendly and helpful. Don't expect to get anywhere on time, though. Amtrak shares the tracks with freight trains, which have the right-of-way.
We took our first Amtrak journey from L.A-New Orleans earlier this year, about to do it again in March. The staff are wonderful, it's an amazing experience. I haven't been on a cruise ship, but I wonder if there is still a little glamor left in train travel, that perhaps no longer exists on cruise liners. It'll never be what it was, but there's just 'something about it'.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:58 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,609,832 times
My wife drives trains hauling coal.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:20 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,385,408 times
Amtrak will get better as in faster in the coming years, but for now its fastest sections are the Northeast Corridor & Keystone line average 130mph , max 150 soon 190mph. I rode the Keystone Express back in November form Newark Penn Station , to Exton,PA.

heres sum videos

Northeast Corridor - Construction zone - Speed Restricted to 40mph - towards then end increasing to 80mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hfv4ZetDY

Entering 30 Street Station in Philly - a slow process due to the Train congestion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEUXyYvzckI

After Philly , before Exton,PA - speeds of 90-110mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiVpI8nKPVI

It was nice , the crew were friendly and my goal this year and next year is to Travel & take advantage of the Northeastern US's Largest Rail network.

~Corey

Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,464,035 times
I've never been on a train.

The wife took Amtrak from Minnesota to Fla once .

It involved 3 different lines-----Empire Builder from St Cloud MN to Chicago. -----after a 4 hour layover----City of New Orleans to New Orleans-------few hours delay-- the Southwest Chief ( ??? ) fron NO to Pensacola.

She took a notebook to describe for me the towns she went thru, then quit writing when she remembered/realized train tracks don't run thru the most scenic parts of a town/city.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:44 AM

17,412 posts, read 21,254,176 times
I understand you have a nice light rail system going in St. Louis, hop on!

I'm increasingly taking light rail vacations. Next stops: L.A., San Francisco, Sacramento.

A stress-free no-car vacation!

Old 01-27-2010, 01:09 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,676,091 times
marmac: Thanks for the reminder on something...

"City of New Orleans" is a song I just love. Written by Steve Goodman and made popular by Arlo Guthrie.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:40 PM

202 posts, read 404,688 times
I have taken the train (Amtrak) a number of times. I live in MA, and I have mostly taken it to NYC, and to Virginia. I love the train because the seats are roomy, there are a decent number of bathrooms (important..i always gotta go..lol) and there are electrical plugs for computers, etc if you have them. You can also get up and walk around from car to car to stretch your legs.

My only complaint is that it's slow. It stops at every cow patch. I wish they had some faster trains that would take out certain stops to get to the big name places like NYC, DC, etc..and on down the line.

I have not yet rode a sleeper train, though i would like to do that. I would think that would be even better, as you have a place to lie down.

Also, while in San Jose CA in 2008, I took the CalTrain from San Jose to San Francisco. I loved it. It was a double decker train, and I had never been on one before. I wished I had more time in San jose, as I would have taken the train to other places in CA. I wouldn't have to worry about driving there.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:07 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,676,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickAussie View Post
My wife drives trains hauling coal.
More info! Please, more info!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel