U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:18 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,827,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3 View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw one of these topics somewhere on this board, but I couldn't find it so it may have been another board or I may just be mistaken. What are some of your biggest pet peeves when flying?

I rarely sleep on planes, but it seems like anytime I try, somebody always wants to start talking to me. It's one thing if I'm awake and clearly not trying to sleep, but when I put my seat back and close my eyes, it means don't talk to me. I wouldn't talk to those people if they were trying to sleep.
Put on eyemask, insert earplugs, pull blanket up to your chin, wedge pillow next to your ear, turn off overhead light. That usually sends a pretty clear message that you're, um, closed for business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,352,352 times
When I have to use the bathroom and the beverage cart is blocking my access, having the flight attendant forget I ordered the vegetarian meal (it's funny how the vegetarian meal actually is fairly good), having the person in front of me not put their seat up when it is meal time, and crying babies.

Last but not least, when I go to my overhead and there is no room for myself. I take advantage as much as possible with not checking in stuff (I probably have the largest stuff you can bring without getting told to check it in). Has rarely happened to me because I like going on the plane ASAP.

Also at the airport the ridiculous prices on food. I was at Ohare and ordered a small sandwich for 8 bucks (just a sandwich at a fast food place). I asked for a cup of water and they charge you for the cup............. Granted it is 5 cents, but I just bought an 8 dollar sandwich and you can't just give me the little cheap cup?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:56 AM

11,682 posts, read 14,466,709 times
I think anyone under 12 should have to be sedated before flying.

I also don't like the reclined seat thing. The last time I flew, the woman in front of me threw her seat back as far as it would go as soon as she possibly could and didn't budge the entire time. I had her seat in my face for 4.5 hours.

And to top it off, that same seat-reclining lady brought a tuna fish sandwich to eat during the flight. GROSS. Tuna smells bad enough on it's own but she also had onions or something really pungent on it.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:06 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,430,046 times
I think anyone over 12 should be sedated before flying

Old 02-01-2010, 12:47 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,649,002 times
People who purposely sit in the wrong seat (aisle or window) then act as if they don't speak English.

People who think it's okay to hold a newspaper wide open, blocking the arm rests and getting into my personal space.

People who act as though children have no right to be on an airplane.

Folks who won't trade seats to help out a family. For instance, last time we all flew together I requested two seats and two seats together. We got to the airport 2 hours early, but still could not get seats as 2 and 2. They were available 3 and 1. To help us out, the desk clerk put our 2 year old's name on the aisle seat that was apart from the rest of us. Neither of the folks sitting 5 rows ahead of us in the middle and window seat next to that seat would trade with us, despite incentive offers from the stewardess & airline. They didn't even KNOW each other! One made the mistake of obnoxiously saying that she was in her ASSIGNED seat and HER name was on the ticket. So we insisted to the stewardess that my 2 year old should sit in HER assigned seat. We got as far as buckling her carseat into the seat before that woman switched. There was NO WAY either I or my dh could've kept a 2 AND 4 year old happy throughout that 5 hour flight on our own and I'm sure the obnoxious woman would've been the FIRST to complain about the whining!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
People who purposely sit in the wrong seat (aisle or window) then act as if they don't speak English.

People who think it's okay to hold a newspaper wide open, blocking the arm rests and getting into my personal space.

People who act as though children have no right to be on an airplane.

Folks who won't trade seats to help out a family. For instance, last time we all flew together I requested two seats and two seats together. We got to the airport 2 hours early, but still could not get seats as 2 and 2. They were available 3 and 1. To help us out, the desk clerk put our 2 year old's name on the aisle seat that was apart from the rest of us. Neither of the folks sitting 5 rows ahead of us in the middle and window seat next to that seat would trade with us, despite incentive offers from the stewardess & airline. They didn't even KNOW each other! One made the mistake of obnoxiously saying that she was in her ASSIGNED seat and HER name was on the ticket. So we insisted to the stewardess that my 2 year old should sit in HER assigned seat. We got as far as buckling her carseat into the seat before that woman switched. There was NO WAY either I or my dh could've kept a 2 AND 4 year old happy throughout that 5 hour flight on our own and I'm sure the obnoxious woman would've been the FIRST to complain about the whining!
With the last one, could there have been any particular reason they wanted the seat? Reason why I ask is I deliberately pick a sit that is in the aisle and has an outlet for me to watch DVDs or do work on my laptop (battery is crap and lasts one hour). I hate flying and need to be as relaxed as possible.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:11 PM

I think everyone should be sedated before flying! I take muscle relaxer before I go on any flight!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 PM

2,539 posts, read 8,850,942 times
Kids sitting behind me who kick my seat/yell the entire time.

/stab

Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,835,381 times
I don't fly very often, but we did just get back from vacation where we were on a plane a lot. The thing that annoyed me the most was people who bring gigantic suitcases carry-on and try to fit it in the top overhead storage. Why do you really need to carry on such HUGE luggage? I understand some people don't check luggage in (only take carry-on), but seriously, get a backpack or something.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 AM

12,375 posts, read 18,476,158 times
Most already mentioned:

-People that bring too much luggage on board.

-People that congregate outside the gate door. People - your seats are ASSIGNED, you can't get on until they call your row! Sit the f*ck down or at least step away. You block the path for people trying to board.

-Recling seats in coach with someone behind you (you do that to me and I have evil ways to retaliate).

-People getting on the plane and not seating right away, or standing up right when the plane is about to pull out (sit the f*ck down, you are delaying departure and blocking people from moving around you to get to there seat).

-People that yelp, clap, scream, or make strange noises of distress when a common airline noise like the landing wheel retracting happens.

-BO (usually occurs with European flights, and I always get stuck sitting near some frenchmen).

-Sick people - have some courtesy, if you are sick don't fly, or wear a mask.

-Parents of children. Not the children themselves, but the parents are to blame if a child is too noisy.

-Cell phones - you aren't that important where you need to keep your cell phone on. When the door closes, turn it off.

-Flight attendant irratations are a subject in itself a.) 9/11 doesn't give you an excuse to treat your customers like sh*t, b.) the galley is not an area for you to hide and read magazines for 95% of the flight, c.) no I will not remove my laptop from the overhead space to make room for the person that brought the elephant size luggage on board. I did the right thing and checked in my luggage, he didn't. Let him gate check it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel