U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:44 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,415,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
My 1st choise is USA! I have USA from the bottom of my heart!

I have visited some places in USA and in the last few years (2 or 3 ..) I have been to Orient.

Now, I'm curious to visit Shanghai and Hong Kong. I think that Taiwan (Taipei city) is wonderful also.

Which cities do you prefer?
Now is a good time to revisit USA imho. Many hotels offer deep discounted rate. For example, I recently stayed for less than U$100/night at Hilton Palmer House Hotel Accommodation - Chicago, United States | Lowest Rate Guaranteed | Otel.com

Are you planning to visit Shanghai in August of 2010 or 2011?
Shanghai is currently hosting the World Expo 2010, from May to October 2010. Hence, hotel accommodation and air-tickets to-fro will cost more than usual and hard to book.
Expo 2010 Shanghai China
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 02:19 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,498,455 times
Hello everyone!
Thanks for your answer!

I would like to visit these cities next August (2010).
I'm very fashinating from modernity and skycrapers!!

About accomodations...I think to go to some hostels

Old 05-14-2010, 09:17 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,938,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
Hello everyone!
Thanks for your answer!

I would like to visit these cities next August (2010).
I'm very fashinating from modernity and skycrapers!!

About accomodations...I think to go to some hostels
Strongly recommend avoiding Chinese hostels. Hostelling is a western thing, and thus comes with western prices. Hostellers (and owners) tend not to care much about the property, so they are generally run down and grotty with dorm-style 12-bed rooms. This is fine in Europe, where hostels are often the cheapest thing around (and I've stayed in plenty from really great to just gawdawful). But in China, stiff competition means there are many cheaper hotels with much nicer, cleaner, and better-appointed private rooms for the same price as a dorm-style hostel bed.

For instance, the Hostelling International (HI) hostel in Xi'an offers smoke-stained dorm-style lodging for 180 Yuan per person. Just down the street, a 3rd floor local hotel has private rooms with attached bath, free wi-fi, etc. for 150 Yuan apiece.

Now, often the "business" hotels are really "love hotels" and will have an hourly rate as well as a daily, but one thing they are pretty good at is whitewashing/bleaching the crap out of their sheets, carpets, walls, showers, and curtains. Just unplug your phone if you don't want calls from prostitutes all night long.

Needless to say, you ought to be carrying a sleep sheet to keep the creepy-crawlies out no matter how white the sheets look, but given the choice, I'd take a love-hotel queen to a dingy hostel bunk any day.

Anecdote pasted from my travel blog:

It was a little business/love hotel combination (as are most business hotels in China). As happens disturbingly often, there was no door on the bathroom right next to the bed. Fortunately, the fan was strong enough and the shower compartmented enough that the steam was sucked away. The room was also large with a fair view so we stuck with it for our entire visit. Most bothersome of all, however, was the exhibition toilet. It was behind a CLEAR glass partition right next to the bed. It was clearly visible from EVERYwhere in the room

As we mentioned before, “business” hotels tend to have clear windows between the bed and the shower. It’s pretty clear that this is so that “businessmen” can watch their prostitutes shower if they choose. Usually there is a curtain which you can lower for some privacy. In this hotel, however, not only could you see into the shower, you could also watch your prostitute pooping. In fact, you really had no choice, unless you wanted to stand in the closet facing the wall.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:38 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,498,455 times
Hi!
I have read a lot of good reviews about some hostels.
I will go only to Shanghai and HK not in the other places of China.

Moreover, I prefer hostels with private double room and with private bath

In Japan, for example, in Tokyo, I have had a good experience! In Europe also!
The same in Singapore ..

Have a nice day

Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 PM

9 posts, read 13,811 times
I live in Hong Kong, let me know if you have any questions!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,705,471 times
I've been to Shanghai, it's good for maybe a couple days if I was a tourist and just able to pick a couple places on the mainland I'd probably do Beijing and Xian.

Beijing has lots to see and is relatively tourist friendly, while Xian has the warriors and a pretty interesting Muslim/Chinese vibe. They are both obviously on the major transportation hubs.

If for some reason you are thinking Shanghai because of proximity then I'd try to bail and visit either Suzhou or even one of the smaller canal towns like Tongli.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or