U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 12:06 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,498,455 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
Have you ever been in these places?
In positive case, what do you suggest me?
Places, hotels...

I would like to go there next August for my Summer holidays.

I love modernity and oriental style. I think that Shanghai and Hong Kong are the best. (I have visited Japan yet).

Many thanks!
bye
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,938,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
Hello everyone!
Have you ever been in these places?
In positive case, what do you suggest me?
Places, hotels...

I would like to go there next August for my Summer holidays.

I love modernity and oriental style. I think that Shanghai and Hong Kong are the best. (I have visited Japan yet).

Many thanks!
bye
I wouldn't consider Shanghai and HK to be a good blend of modernity and "oriental style."

HK is simply a business center modeled along the lines of a typical British colony. The marks of the old empire are everywhere, and where it's not british, it's rabidly westernized with a laser-focus on profit and globalism.

Shanghai shows obvious signs of the old Communist attitude that "We're going to take everything that the West has and build it bigger and better." Most of the original city has been leveled or (at best) forced into strictly-regulated tourist centers. There's a few pockets of kitch in a thoroughly westernized city. With the 2010 expo, things are even worse with huge tracts of the old town being knocked down to make way for expo-related stuff.

For my money, Japan and Taiwan are good examples of modernity mixed with Japanese and Chinese style respectively. Both economic systems are more or less capitalistic, so western influence has fused organically with the original culture's sensibilities. Temples and tea farms look down upon the modern heart of Taipei from the misty mountains that surround the city. In Kyoto, the palace of the Shogun welcomes visitors in a respectful and Japanese-style-immaculate park, feeling less like the bulldozer money-machine kitch of China and more like real history carefully and considerately preserved for it's own sake.

That's not to say you can't have fun in China, but the cultural revolution (and the modern focus on king Yuan) has really wrecked any sense of history or culture, IMO.

Another good option includes Bangkok with stunning temples and almost equally-amazing shopping malls!

If you do insist on going to HK or China, I recommend Hanting Express or a similar business hotel if you can convince them to take foreigners. Clean rooms, efficient service, at set Chinese prices. The "hospitality industry" in China will try to press-gang you into the typical western digs at obscenely inflated (for China) prices. Spend a night there if you must, but you can save a lot of money and stay in equal or better comfort if you finagle your way into a local business hotel.

Go up in the tallest building in Shanghai; it's the one that looks like a shopping bag, NOT it's next-door neighbor which looks like a jungle-gym. All the signs point tourists to the Jungle-gym. IGNORE THEM and head for the shopping bag.

Ride the maglev out to the airport and back if you don't take it when/if you fly in. It is FAST!

Walk down the main shopping drag and ignore six million people trying to sell you "best watch cheap."

Ride the weird underground tunnel tram across the river. "HEAVEN AND HELL!" Yeah it's a total ripoff, but do it anyway.

Visit a top-end club like E3. Then visit a dive like Shelter for comparison. Find the local clothing market and be the only westerner there.

Drink Taiwan Boba Milk Tea. Chocolate iced is best. To order one large say: "Ee da chocolee boba bing cha, shi-shea."

Drink tea.

Visit kitchy old town. Buy lots of cheap junk for MUCH less than it costs at WalMart.

Skip all brand-name western goods stores. They're cheaper in the USA. If you can find knockoffs (tough in China, easier in Thailand, easy as pie in Malaysia), pick some up for a laugh.

Eat hot pot.

Take a day or two trip to Huang Shan. You'd think going on your own would help you avoid rip-offs. It won't. Even if you speak Chinese. Book a tour with one of the bazillion travel agencies and get the rip-offs over with up front.

Someone else do HK.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:20 AM

wow!
many thanks for your answer and information! It's really good!

yes, I know Malaysia, Japan and..yes, I visited Bangkok, Dubai .. last Summer.
I love these places!

My 1st choise is USA! I have USA from the bottom of my heart!

I have visited some places in USA and in the last few years (2 or 3 ..) I have been to Orient.

Now, I'm curious to visit Shanghai and Hong Kong. I think that Taiwan (Taipei city) is wonderful also.

Which cities do you prefer?

Thank!
have a nice day

Old 05-08-2010, 03:24 AM

Are there any people that has visited Hong Kong and Shanghai?

I would like to see these places

Old 05-11-2010, 12:17 AM

3,511 posts, read 5,455,709 times
Ive being to shanghi, and to be honest did not like it very much either, sponger is pretty well spot on.
What to do? Walk down the Bund? All the buildings are european in style, you will feel right at home.
Marvel at all the crazy architecture, go up one of the buildings and you might be lucky to a get a view if its not a bad pollution day. (my trip up the oriental pearl tower rewarded me with a view of next to nothing) Visit the famous garden and, well thats about it really. Shanghi is all about development and any traditional stuff is pretty hard to find. It does however have a wicked nightlife, brings lots of money.

Oh and make sure you catch the fast train from Pudong International to the city.

Also will back up sponger on the prices of brand name goods in China, you think they would be cheap, their not.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 05-11-2010 at 12:49 AM..

Old 05-11-2010, 01:26 AM

11 posts, read 21,445 times
Hong Kong is amazing!

Old 05-11-2010, 01:32 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,608,421 times
Shanghai was fantastic! I disagree with the 'communist style' comment. There are many art deco buildings from the 1920's and 1930's. We stayed at the Astor House Hotel.
Astor House Hotel (Shanghai, China) - Hostel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 05-11-2010, 10:38 AM

Holy shrunken wallet, batman!

You can stay at the Astor House for nearly USD 200/night

Or you can stay at Hanting Express for closer to USD 20/night. I haven't been, but I can't imagine the Astor is 10 times better, considering the number of fun and interesting things you can do with $180 in China.

Here's the tripadvisor page of the Hanting I stayed at. Booking ahead is okay (if you can), because it's hard to get below rack rate if you don't speak Chinese.

Budget Hotel in good location - Review of Hanting Hotel (Shanghai Shanxi South Road), Shanghai, China - TripAdvisor

It's a fair walk to the subway, but cabs aren't bad if you don't want to hoof it. There's fun a night-market-like food and entertainment district to the north around the metro station and higher-end resturants to the south depending on which line you want to walk to.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:08 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,608,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Holy shrunken wallet, batman!

You can stay at the Astor House for nearly USD 200/night
That might be for the top rooms. We paid about $100 per night for our rooms. Standard twin is $83, I just checked Expedia.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:58 PM

My mistake. I just glanced at expedia and saw the cheapest room at 180-something. I must not have looked close enough.

The Bund is a pretty good area to stay, central with metro access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or