U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:21 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,917,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You can get the raw cultural experience without dwelling in poverty, trust me.
Agree.
Years ago, we had an interesting time in the woods on Lake Atitlan in Guatemala, this guy had put together a sort of minimalist b & b hut, all local foods.
There are places in Central America that are like Costa Rica before it became discovered.
A friend (female) of mine had an excellent time trekking in both Mongolia as well as Namibia.
I had a guy friend who kinda freaked out during a visit to India. I don't know, I've never been, but I guess he had a bit of culture shock and just wasn't quite ready for the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,873,644 times
What about Northern Brazil, I've been told pretty beaches but very 'rustic'.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:28 PM

28,240 posts, read 39,890,612 times
If we could go back in time we would put you up at the house I grew up in. If you have to pee at night in the winter you have 200 feet of running to do and a very cold seat to sit on when you get there....

Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,357,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If we could go back in time we would put you up at the house I grew up in. If you have to pee at night in the winter you have 200 feet of running to do and a very cold seat to sit on when you get there....
????? Why on earth didn't you use a thunder jug? (chamber bot, gazunda) My mother lived in Colorado in the 1950s and more than one morning they had to break the ice in the wash basin before they could use it! She would have been in big trouble without her chamber pot! LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-27-2010, 06:50 PM

202 posts, read 404,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, since Haiti has gone kaput my interest in visiting it has waned somewhat. I am still trying to find a great 3rd world country, however, that has had minimum western influence.

I am now thinking about maybe Peru or Equador. I am looking for raw culture here folks. No Hiltons, or Marriotts. The real thing. Real culture unsullied by the taint of Western civilization. We're talking minimal electricty, virtually no indoor plumbing (preferably none). Positively NO western food.

Any of you wonderful world travelers have any suggestions?

20yrsinBranson
Wow. While that is a bit too primitive for me, I admire those who are willing to do stuff like that. I'm not prissy, but i'm partial to indoor plumbing. Though I can remember when some of my family in VA didnt have indoor bathrooms when i was a kid. This is when they were living in a town of about 1,000 people. Thank God that changed.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:52 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,357,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Do you want deserted sandy beaches? Misty snowcapped mountains? Dusty blasted highlands? Steamy jungle swamps? Rolling blue-sky steppes? Endless firey golden dunes? I've got more suggestions, but I need to know what you want?
I am quite fond of jungle or rain forest. I like warm, tropical, humid. I like rain, clouds, shade. Not overly fond of the bright sunshine. I like a rural environment but not wilderness. I have thought that Napal would be of great interest because I have a keen interest in Buddhism.

The Philippines was someplace I had thought about going to once or twice. A small rural, agricultural island.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-27-2010, 07:03 PM

202 posts, read 404,389 times
Quote:
I am quite fond of jungle or rain forest. I like warm, tropical, humid. I like rain, clouds, shade. Not overly fond of the bright sunshine. I like a rural environment but not wilderness. I have thought that Napal would be of great interest because I have a keen interest in Buddhism.

The Philippines was someplace I had thought about going to once or twice. A small rural, agricultural island.

20yrsinBranson

Have you thought about Costa Rica? There are rain forests there, right? LOL Go easy on me, because my knowledge of places is obviously not that good.

I was supposed to go on a trip to Costa Rica with my hiking club 2 years ago, but my mom fell and broke her ankle, so i had to stay and take care of her. I guess Costa Rica may be a bit too US influenced for you though. I had the choice of going there, or South Africa. I picked Costa Rica because it was a cheaper trip, not as many diseases to worry about, and I thought it would be easier for me to adapt.

Maybe one day I will be able to go.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,941,187 times
The Philippines are nice but quite strongly influenced by past US colonialism and present Asian tourism. I'm sure you can find what you are looking for there, but it won't be near Manila.

SE Asia sounds right for you. Cambodia, Laos, and Southern China seem to fit your bill. Maybe the northern hills in Thailand or inland Vietnam as well. Maybe between monsoon seasons.

Nepal might work, but not if you don't like bright sunlight or Malaria as those are your two choices (highlands or valley). I think you might really like the island of Sumatra or possibly even Java in Indonesia. Plenty of rain and clouds during the right season.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 AM

12,291 posts, read 18,405,549 times
Quote:
I I have thought that Napal would be of great interest because I have a keen interest in Buddhism.
Two notes on Nepal to clear up innacuracies - 1.) Nepal is a Hindu nation, although many in the mountanous areas are Bhuddist, 2.) (from another poster) I don't remember Malaria being a problem in Nepal (only in certain parts of India).

I think my experience in Nepal might fit what you are looking for - spent a week on the mountanous trails of Nepal (rather away from the common Everest tracking trails). No roads up there, only pack trails, rudimentry electricty does exist but mostly outdoor plumbing (outhouses). Lots of little rural villages a couple miles apart. You stay at little lodges, maybe a dollar a night.
Take a reality check however, you sound young with not much travel experience - trips such as above are hard logistically to plan, hard to get to, and takes planning, you will have language problems, you will have money problems.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:08 AM

96 posts, read 240,302 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
in thailand they have some of the biggest buddhas i ever saw and one whole mountainside with his image drawn on it.
they are very devout buddhists with monks everywhere and it is a custom to give them tips and food.
my girlfriends always wore this golden pendant with a clear cover and a miniature gold buddha inside.
i found it much too humid and hot and very polluted in the cities.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel