U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 10:22 AM

3,111 posts, read 7,018,037 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I will be traveling from the US to Sao Paulo...
Sao Paulo to Montevideo...
Montevideo to Buenos Aires...
Buenos Aires to Santiago...
and Santiago to Cusco.

I plan on taking the bus from Montevideo to BA, but I won't have time for long bus trips to the other cities.

My question:
What would be the most affordable way to book everything, as I am mostly sure of my schedule, but if something changes, my schedule will be off, therefore throwing off the prebooked flight dates.

I usually only travel to a few places at once, so this situation is different for me. I'm not the type of person to stick to a strict schedule, and would rather buy a ticket as I go. However, I don't know if this is possible, or if it is, may be way out of my budget.

Thanks for you help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 03:16 PM

6,156 posts, read 6,323,627 times
If it were me I would use a full service travel agency. It sounds like your travel plans could be somewhat complex. There will be more chances for the unexpected to jump up and cause headaches. By using a travel agency, if your plans change, all you have to do is call and let them figure out how to accommondate the changes. It could cost more than if you do it yourself using online travel agencies. But then again maybe not. The more complex the plans, the better the chance of a full service agency being the cheapest.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:38 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,187,465 times
Since you are not sure when you are leaving etc.. go see a travel agency see what they can do. If not you can always book flights a day or two in advance but this will cost more then buying plane tickets now.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
It is almost always cheaper to fly within a country, than international, because IATA regulations force airlines to conform with international pricing of tickets. So you might consider flying Buenos Aires to Mendoza, then take the bus from there to Santiago. Also, fly Santiago to Arica, then take the bus to Tacna, Peru, and connect to Cuzco. Most South American countries have a number of small airlines, and very good deals are possible on short hauls.

It might be cheaper to fly from Sao Paulo to Buenos Aires, and just take the ferry from BA over to Uruguay and back.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:56 AM

2,412 posts, read 6,466,896 times
Check out the following South American air pass options available to people from outside of the region:

OneWorld Visit South America
LAN South America AirPass
TAM South America AirPass

(LAN and TAM are two big airlines in South America that most Americans have never heard of...do a Google search)

One thing to keep in mind: South American airlines can be VERY strict about baggage weight and size on domestic/intra-South America flights. A traveler on a long trip from the U.S. could be carrying quite a bit and can easily get hit with expensive checked/overweight bags fees. Be sure and do your research on this.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:00 AM

3,111 posts, read 7,018,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Check out the following South American air pass options available to people from outside of the region:

OneWorld Visit South America
LAN South America AirPass
TAM South America AirPass

(LAN and TAM are two big airlines in South America that most Americans have never heard of...do a Google search)

One thing to keep in mind: South American airlines can be VERY strict about baggage weight and size on domestic/intra-South America flights. A traveler on a long trip from the U.S. could be carrying quite a bit and can easily get hit with expensive checked/overweight bags fees. Be sure and do your research on this.
Thank you for the links! I have read of this pass, but I did not realize it is more affordable than I thought.

I think I will explore this option, as it appears much easier than a mix of busses and flights.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:15 AM

5,687 posts, read 8,596,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Hello,
I will be traveling from the US to Sao Paulo...
Sao Paulo to Montevideo...
Montevideo to Buenos Aires...
Buenos Aires to Santiago...
and Santiago to Cusco.
you could try plugging in the whole thing as a multi-city itinerary on sidestep.com, it may work. If not, I would just buy an open jaw US-Sao Paulo, Cuzco-US and then buy intermediate segments as OW tickets.

I just priced some of your intermediate non-stop segments on sidestep.com for early April departures, Sao Paulo-Montevideo $275, Buenos Aires-Santiago $206, Santiago to Cuzco was pretty expensive at $740ish.

It is cheaper for you to start your journey in Santiago and work anti-clockwise through Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Peru and cover that stretch of Chile with your US-Santiago ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or