Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:59 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times

Advertisements

Thinking about spending a month in Paris during the summer. Any idea where one could stay for a month? Hotel is obviously out of question, since that's like 150 a night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 01:16 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Thinking about spending a month in Paris during the summer. Any idea where one could stay for a month? Hotel is obviously out of question, since that's like 150 a night
You may want to check into hostels in Paris. Here's a link:

Hostels in Paris - Paris Hostels

You could also do a Google search for more. Good luck

Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,719 times
Paris hotels and lodging in general there is expensive (the hostels there were dumpy and more expensive than the ones in London). There are fleabag hotels out there that you probably could get for under 80 a night. If you are going with a few people, might be worth while to just sublet (what I have done).

Old 02-01-2010, 02:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
Paris hotels and lodging in general there is expensive (the hostels there were dumpy and more expensive than the ones in London).
I've stayed at Le Village hostel and it was sparkling clean, much nicer than some bed and breakfasts and hotels I've stayed in. (Terrible breakfast though.)
Hotels might cut you a deal for long-term, but it's probably not worth the research.
Quote:
If you are going with a few people, might be worth while to just sublet (what I have done).
Absolutely.
Check out this link (no I am not connected with them in any way.)
Paris Apartment

Old 02-01-2010, 02:48 PM

365 posts, read 1,252,812 times
There are plenty of apartments to rent on a short-term basis. Check craigslist.org, and also go to youtube.com and search on "Paris Apartments," or something similar. I've never asked a hotel for a monthly rate, but I'm sure they might have something cheaper than $150/night if you're staying for a month. Wow. A month in Paris. I'm envious!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:08 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I've stayed at Le Village hostel and it was sparkling clean, much nicer than some bed and breakfasts and hotels I've stayed in. (Terrible breakfast though.)
Hotels might cut you a deal for long-term, but it's probably not worth the research.

Absolutely.
Check out this link (no I am not connected with them in any way.)
Paris Apartment
I was there in the summer a few years ago and checked out reviews on different hostel review websites. The overall reviews on Paris hotels said the places were filthy.
BUG Backpackers Hostel Reviews: Europe > France > Paris & Région Parisienne (Île-de-France) > Paris

Last time I stayed in hostels though was last year in Israel. All of those were fine but didn't have much of an atmosphere. Was more for people who kept to themselves, or needed a place long term.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:36 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,408 times
Quote:
I might check out the 5th arrondisement, not far from the Sorbonne and near the Cluny La Sorbonne and Maubert-Mutualite metro stops.
see this map: 5eme, paris - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/yfottxf - broken link)

This area is pleasant, in the heart of Paris, and the proximity to the university provides numerous housing options.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:34 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Do you own your house ? If so then I would go with home exchanges. You get someone's house/appartment ( and their car) and they get yours. We've done it for over 20 years now ( and we'll be having our 51st exchange next month).

Much better than staying in a hotel, and you only have to pay for your flights and fun stuff like going out and visits to museums etc...

We love it. Complete freedom , the luxury of an entire house/appartment /car and feeling like a visitor rather than a tourist as you get to shop locally, interact with neighbours etc... if you chose to of course.

Some home exchangers actually only want home sitters which might work and of course there are home-sitting websites too.

http://www.homelink.org/index.jsp

http://www.intervac.co.uk/

http://www.mindmyhouse.com/

Old 02-02-2010, 04:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I was there in the summer a few years ago and checked out reviews on different hostel review websites. The overall reviews on Paris hotels said the places were filthy.
BUG Backpackers Hostel Reviews: Europe > France > Paris & Région Parisienne (Île-de-France) > Paris

Last time I stayed in hostels though was last year in Israel. All of those were fine but didn't have much of an atmosphere. Was more for people who kept to themselves, or needed a place long term.
Looks like BUG seems to like the one where I stayed, Le Village, but regardless, hostels are not exactly the Ritz, no doubt about that.
Usually hostels are for people who *want* to meet other people, but I know they can vary from country to country and town to town--the ones I stayed at in Germany were both friendly and immaculate, and so was Le Village, but that was several years ago. Le Village did not have much atmosphere, it was not a 'party' place, but I suppose its location (Montmarte) made up for that--and the price was right.

The fun thing about Paris is the spiral arrondisements, the city is fairly compact and easy to get around. You can stay in what might be considered a cheaper area, but still easily get to the well-known sights.

If I were the OP, I probably would look into renting an apartment, but if Moose's suggestion would fit, that would be wonderful. (I keep thinking we should do it, but who wants to take care of two slobbery dogs?)

Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Looks like BUG seems to like the one where I stayed, Le Village, but regardless, hostels are not exactly the Ritz, no doubt about that.
Usually hostels are for people who *want* to meet other people, but I know they can vary from country to country and town to town--the ones I stayed at in Germany were both friendly and immaculate, and so was Le Village, but that was several years ago. Le Village did not have much atmosphere, it was not a 'party' place, but I suppose its location (Montmarte) made up for that--and the price was right.

The fun thing about Paris is the spiral arrondisements, the city is fairly compact and easy to get around. You can stay in what might be considered a cheaper area, but still easily get to the well-known sights.

If I were the OP, I probably would look into renting an apartment, but if Moose's suggestion would fit, that would be wonderful. (I keep thinking we should do it, but who wants to take care of two slobbery dogs?)
Lots of people , including us love looking after slobbery Dogs, even though we have none of our own. I think that is one of the attraction to Home exchanges for many people , that someone will look after their pets. We have looked after quite a few assorted Canines, Felines and even a Pig and Horse !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel