U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:25 PM

12,251 posts, read 18,390,529 times

Advertisements

This is why this subject, winter driving,needs a sticky or something. These are all within the last 2 months and took me all of two minutes of scrolling through the last 5 or 6 pages.
All can be answered by one simple answer - watch the weather forecast a few days before leaving and plan your route accordingly:

I-90 In Winter - Please help and give advice!!
Any concerns weather wise about driving from Kentucky to Washington state at the end of January???
Driving the I 5 from So Cal to Western Wa In beg of Feb
Driving to Las Vegas from Fargo in January...Best route?
Mid-December travel to Michigan via I-77
driving from Philly to Oakland end of December- weather concern!
Road Conditions along I-80 in April
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 10:04 PM

28,230 posts, read 39,866,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Keep and eye on long term forecast and be flexible.

I have had better luck on I-90 (in bad weather) than the unpredictable and very busy (but shorter) I-80.

I hope you get a 'clear-sail' That is entirely possible. (coming from an ex-trucker whose route was WY, NE, SD, CO)

Looks good today!!!
Climate Prediction Center - 8 to 14 Day Outlook

Just remember, WY weather can change in a flash.

There is a thread on WY forum about what to carry in car during winter.

My 'short list' =

New filters, (especially fuel), Wipers, belts, and hoses installed BEFORE trip
Carry cable chains, small shovel
extra 6V Lanterns, + candles for freeze protection
Blankets, sleeping bags, food and water
Flares, reflectors, and a tall bicycle flag (in case you get stuck in a drift).

Be safe, good luck with the move and new job.

I drive at night for less traffic and to have 'sleeping kids'. You can get a cheap rate at a motel during the day. Or pull into a community activity center and snooze while kids play or swim (then they will sleep better).
To add to the list:

A large metal can for melting ice in case you run out of water. Heavy pie tins can be cooked on.

12 hour candles are better, Check camping stores.

Reflective "blankets" that reflect body heat back instead of letting it escape. We bought these at Walmart a few years ago. Camping stores should have them also.

Power bars. Peanuts (or other nuts)

If you do get stuck in a storm and you are running the engine get out and check the exhaust pipe once in a while and clear it if it is getting covered with snow.

Do not DO NOT leave your car in a blizzard for any reason. Walking in a blizzard is very disorienting and you most likely will get lost and walk in circles until you exhaust yourself. Lousy way to die.

Large, strong flashlight in case you need to attract attention.

Good warm boots in case you do have to walk somewhere.

If the truckers are pulling off follow them.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This is why this subject, winter driving,needs a sticky or something. These are all within the last 2 months and took me all of two minutes of scrolling through the last 5 or 6 pages.
All can be answered by one simple answer - watch the weather forecast a few days before leaving and plan your route accordingly:

I-90 In Winter - Please help and give advice!!
Any concerns weather wise about driving from Kentucky to Washington state at the end of January???
Driving the I 5 from So Cal to Western Wa In beg of Feb
Driving to Las Vegas from Fargo in January...Best route?
Mid-December travel to Michigan via I-77
driving from Philly to Oakland end of December- weather concern!
Road Conditions along I-80 in April
That "simple" answer may be true for those of us who live with this weather every year. For those who don't that "simple" answer is a poor one at best, dangerous at worst.

Try being more productive and less complaining.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:19 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,774,488 times
By the way, PDXby7, let us know which route you go and how it went.

Hope you have a good, safe trip.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:22 PM

30 posts, read 118,122 times
Hi all! We are now in Iowa. We ended up taking 80/84 after all. We left on Tuesday, stayed in Pendleton OR that night. Twin Falls ID the second night, Rawlins WY on night 3, Kearney NE the last night. It took some extra time because of weather concerns. We were aiming to go Pendleton, Salt Lake, Cheyenne. Hit a *surprise!* storm just outta Rawlins & stopped early. We also chose to not travel after dark, for safety of the kids. (It was the longest trip of my life! I can't believe people do that weekly!!)

Something we didn't foresee happening was our car beginning to stall out at the top of the last pass in WY. High altitude & lack of oxygen, or something? It's never done it before, and hasn't since. Weird. Oh, and issues with windshield wiper fluid, even though the bottle claimed to be good to -20F, it was frozen solid half the trip. Other than that, it was a pretty uneventful trip. I was pretty shocked at the loaded semi's flying by us when we were doing 80+mph. Lol. We managed to escape any damage from slush/salt/rocks though, thankfully.

I just have to say-- I think I-90 is a much more scenic drive. That stretch through eastern ID to eastern WY was so boring & dead I almost cried for joy when we saw the rolling hills of Nebraska!

Old 02-28-2010, 04:20 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,652,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXby7 View Post
Hi all! We are now in Iowa. We ended up taking 80/84 after all. We left on Tuesday, stayed in Pendleton OR that night. Twin Falls ID the second night, Rawlins WY on night 3, Kearney NE the last night. It took some extra time because of weather concerns. We were aiming to go Pendleton, Salt Lake, Cheyenne. Hit a *surprise!* storm just outta Rawlins & stopped early. We also chose to not travel after dark, for safety of the kids. (It was the longest trip of my life! I can't believe people do that weekly!!)

Something we didn't foresee happening was our car beginning to stall out at the top of the last pass in WY. High altitude & lack of oxygen, or something? It's never done it before, and hasn't since. Weird. Oh, and issues with windshield wiper fluid, even though the bottle claimed to be good to -20F, it was frozen solid half the trip. Other than that, it was a pretty uneventful trip. I was pretty shocked at the loaded semi's flying by us when we were doing 80+mph. Lol. We managed to escape any damage from slush/salt/rocks though, thankfully.

I just have to say-- I think I-90 is a much more scenic drive. That stretch through eastern ID to eastern WY was so boring & dead I almost cried for joy when we saw the rolling hills of Nebraska!

Tip for the future:

Since you now live in Iowa, be aware that your washing fluid problem won't go away.

Solution: Every time you fill the reservoir, pour in a pint of rubbing alcohol.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:44 PM

Welcome to Iowa!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,522 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Thx for the update.

You took the most unpredictable Rte (but shortest) and succeeded!! Best of luck with the job and new digs.

And just so you're not too bored... I did a Denver > Rock Springs, WY trucking run daily for a few yrs. I was SO happy to come screaming back down Highway 287 to Ft Collins each morning at 2-3AM!! the 'lights' of civilization were a warm welcome after 10 hrs in a blizzard. (and yes.. my fuel tanks gelled more than once due to cold), Those moonlit nights on glistening snow is something I miss in the Portland area. (62F today, but rain by tomorrow, and until June..)

Where-bouts in IA did you light?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or