Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:46 PM

30 posts, read 130,199 times

Advertisements

After searching for months for employment & housing in Iowa, things are falling into place. We found out we got a house about 5 days ago, and need to be leaving Portland Oregon by the 18th of February.

My questions are:

1)which route (80/84, 90, or 5/40/35) is the 'best' route this time of year? We are leaning toward 80/84 because it is the quickest, but it's been closed for days more than once because of weather.

2) Best stopping points? Or, any ideas/suggestions for best towns to stop in? I want to drive-drive-drive until we have to stop; I'm thinking two overnights.

3) Are there any major storms rolling in that anyone has heard of?

Originally I wanted to take 5/40/35, because of weather, but it seems to be pretty rainy/snowy through that stretch as well. Now, time is of the essence... We're bringing along 4 kids, 2 cats, and a guinea pig. I'd drive straight through if I could!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 05:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Keep and eye on long term forecast and be flexible.

I have had better luck on I-90 (in bad weather) than the unpredictable and very busy (but shorter) I-80.

I hope you get a 'clear-sail' That is entirely possible. (coming from an ex-trucker whose route was WY, NE, SD, CO)

Looks good today!!!
Climate Prediction Center - 8 to 14 Day Outlook

Just remember, WY weather can change in a flash.

There is a thread on WY forum about what to carry in car during winter.

My 'short list' =

New filters, (especially fuel), Wipers, belts, and hoses installed BEFORE trip
Carry cable chains, small shovel
extra 6V Lanterns, + candles for freeze protection
Blankets, sleeping bags, food and water
Flares, reflectors, and a tall bicycle flag (in case you get stuck in a drift).

Be safe, good luck with the move and new job.

I drive at night for less traffic and to have 'sleeping kids'. You can get a cheap rate at a motel during the day. Or pull into a community activity center and snooze while kids play or swim (then they will sleep better).

Old 02-02-2010, 11:31 PM

Thanks for the tips! I'm trying to convince the other half that we should be traveling more at night, but he feels it's more unsafe without the sunlight... or something like that. *shrug*

I'll go check out that thread in the WY file. I've also heard good things about 90, and being a Portlander, well, I know how 84 through the Gorge can go.

And thanks for the link! Super helpful; weather.gov isn't very helpful for what we need.

Thanks again!

Old 02-03-2010, 06:49 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXby7 View Post
Thanks for the tips! I'm trying to convince the other half that we should be traveling more at night, but he feels it's more unsafe without the sunlight... or something like that. *shrug*

I'll go check out that thread in the WY file. I've also heard good things about 90, and being a Portlander, well, I know how 84 through the Gorge can go.

And thanks for the link! Super helpful; weather.gov isn't very helpful for what we need.

Thanks again!

Night driving is the way to go, but there is one hazard you'll probably find which is more dangerous in the dark: roads glazed with ice by winds blowing across already fallen snow. That's typical in Wyoming and eastern Montana and, if you're seriously over-driving your headlights, a patch of glazed road can spring out of the darkness and toss you into the ditch.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:57 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
I think the determining factor as to which route to take will be the weather...and you may need to be flexible enough to take either route at the last minute.

Just remember, you're going through some sparsely populated country...I've known more than one person who thought at 4-5 pm about stopping but decided to go on the the next "real" town a hundred miles further only to find that by the time they got there, motels were full. (But, then, you'll get to do the "drive, drive, drive" thing!) This can be an issue if the weather does turn nasty.

I've done this trip multiple times and found that the key is the flexibility to change your routes at the last minute to avoid the storms...and sometimes you just have to ride one out for a day or two in a motel until roads are open again.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 PM

Might it be worth it if we planned on taking the long way? I mean, down I-5, then taking the southern route through AZ & east? I'd rather have a planned extra day or two than be stranded in rural WY for 4 days....

I've never taken the 40/35 Hwy so I don't have the slightest idea how dangerous/treacherous/boring/rural it is.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:44 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
OK I have ignored this long enough. read the below post carefuly, particulary the simple message given - LOOK AT THE WEATHER FORECAST and stop bumping up your post. I can't believe you are asking us if a storm will roll through three weeks from now.

I-90 In Winter - Please help and give advice!!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:51 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXby7 View Post
Might it be worth it if we planned on taking the long way? I mean, down I-5, then taking the southern route through AZ & east? I'd rather have a planned extra day or two than be stranded in rural WY for 4 days....

I've never taken the 40/35 Hwy so I don't have the slightest idea how dangerous/treacherous/boring/rural it is.
I've been hung on I-40 in the winter, too. It's at a considerably higher elevation than many people realize.

This time of year, no matter the route, you can get hung. But it's not horse and wagon days...stay on the freeways...if they close it usually isn't for long.

Regardless of the route you take there's a lot of empty country between you and Iowa.

Watch the weather forecast. Stay flexible.

Forecast. Flexible.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
OK I have ignored this long enough. read the below post carefuly, particulary the simple message given - LOOK AT THE WEATHER FORECAST and stop bumping up your post. I can't believe you are asking us if a storm will roll through three weeks from now.

I-90 In Winter - Please help and give advice!!

Ok, uh, wow.

I didnt realize by REPLYING to what other people had posted, I was needlessly bumping up my post.

I have been watching the weather forecasts, along every possible route. I have looked at live shots of every camera along all three routes. I wasn't asking SPECIFICALLY if a storm will be rolling through in TWO weeks. I was asking for the advice of the seasoned travelers I know are on this forum.

Sorry to inconvenience you for the .005th of a second it took you each time to scroll past my post in the past. Really.

ANYWAY.

Flexibility is the key, got it. Thanks for the advice, all.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 PM

Oh, and thanks for the link-- I haven't came across that one in my million & a half searches for traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel