Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:11 AM

2 posts, read 20,167 times

Advertisements

A couple friends and I are going to Vegas in a couple months. I've never flown before. I'm not afraid of actually flying, but I'm nervous because I've never done it before. So I guess I just have a couple of questions.

1) Can you explain the process from say, leaving the house to go to the airport up until leaving the airport in Vegas?

2) I know a little about the security rules, but not much. I have to use prescription eyedrops. Are these included in the 3.5 oz rule or are they an exception because they're a prescription? Do they need to be placed in a bag? Do I need any documentation proving that they are prescribed to me?

3) Any advice for a first-time flyer?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 05:00 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Check out: TSA | Transportation Security Administration | For Travelers (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm - broken link) .

Old 02-02-2010, 08:22 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
Make sure you really get to the airport when they say, it will make it less stressful for you. One guy that wokrs for me, when he was taking his first flight ever, didn't really realize why he needed to get to the airport early. So, he arrived just before his flight, checked in, went through security, and when he arrived at the gate his plane was gone. He sat at the airport for about 8 hours until he caught another flight and missed the entire day of the conference.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsobeer View Post
A couple friends and I are going to Vegas in a couple months. I've never flown before. I'm not afraid of actually flying, but I'm nervous because I've never done it before. So I guess I just have a couple of questions.

1) Can you explain the process from say, leaving the house to go to the airport up until leaving the airport in Vegas?

2) I know a little about the security rules, but not much. I have to use prescription eyedrops. Are these included in the 3.5 oz rule or are they an exception because they're a prescription? Do they need to be placed in a bag? Do I need any documentation proving that they are prescribed to me?

3) Any advice for a first-time flyer?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
For 1:
a.) Drive to airport, look for long term parking lot (assuming you will park at airport)
b.) From parking lot look for terminal, walk into termal to your airlines check in area, you get boarding pass and check in luggage here (assuming you did not pre-print boarding pass, etc). Note that, depending on airlines, you may have to pay for some checked in luggage and may have a limit on carry on luggage.
c.) From airline counter you will then proceed to the gate area, this requires passing through TSA security. Wait in security line, follow all instructions and go through security.
d.) Your boarding pass should have gate number, look at signs and go to your gate. At the gate you simply wait for your flight to announce boarding. Gate should have a podium with information (flight departure time) and an airline employee to answer any questions.
e.) When gate agent announces boarding, then get on board (some airlines board by "zones" or aisles, don't embaress yourself by trying to board when they call out for first class only). Ticket will also say what seat you are in (dependent on airlines, some do not have assigned seating).

For #2 - unsure, I think there is an exception for prescription medicien. Refer to TSA website.

For #3 - Tips -
dont' bring too much carry on luggage, but bring at least one change of clothes in case your luggage is lost.
Be prepared for late departures (just part of the nature of flying). Carry on luggage space is limited on a plane.

Bring a book or something to keep you active.

Be aware of TSA rules before you leave.

When you board - put away your carry on luggage and SIT THE F*CK DOWN. Standing in the aisle delays the person behind you from getting to his seat which in turn will delay the plane.

Be aware of the noises a plane makes and don't panic - landing, taking off, landing wheels retracting, etc.

You can recline your seat in coach, but just remember the person behind you. Have some consideration. In my opinion I consider it impolite to recline a seat in coach with anyone but a child behind you.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 AM

My continuation on part 1 above, to include flight and arrival:
f.) On plane you will probably stay seated for the duration of your flight, particularly and most importantly during landing and take-off. Bathroom breaks are the exception of course but don't wait until near the end of the flight because you must stay seated for the last 20 minutes of the flight or so.
g.) Endure the flight. Not much else to say, you will be in a metal tube in a cramped seat for a few hours. Look out the window, read a book, etc. I assume this is a non-stop flight. The flight attendant will likely make one run down the aisles for drinks (fruit and softdrinks), expect no food, maybe peanuts or crackers.
h.) Upon arrival in Vegas you disembark from your plane (make sure you got all your belongings) and walk through the terminal to luggage claim. Usually you can safely just follow the crowds from your flight, but all airports are well marked and should have luggage claim directional signs.
i.) The luggage claim area should have several conveyor belts with luggage revolving around. This is moderatly confusing because you have to identify which conveyor has your flight, but they should be marked in some way with your flight number. Expect to wait about 20 minutes at least before the bags start off-loading (union airline employees aren't the quickest).
j.) Identify your bags correctly, lots of luggage looks the same.
k.) Then go to your mode of transportation - if you have a rental car then the airport should have a rental car counter very close to the baggage claim area. If you need a taxi then the airport should have a specific taxi stand area just outside the baggage claim street area (don't take gypsy cabs unless you want to be ripped off, use the taxi stand). Most airports should be well marked with directional signs for your mode of transporation.

Last edited by Dd714; 02-02-2010 at 10:56 AM..

Old 02-02-2010, 11:11 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,801 times
Quote:
Are these included in the 3.5 oz rule or are they an exception because they're a prescription? Do they need to be placed in a bag? Do I need any documentation proving that they are prescribed to me?
No prescription documentation needed, but the eye drops must be in the ziploc bag.

Quote:
Any advice for a first-time flyer?
Yes, relax. Fear of flying is very irrational, not unlike being afraid of the dark. The most dangerous part of your trip will be riding in the car to and from the airport.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:37 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Be at airport at least 1.5 hours before flight. Bring chewing gum.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:55 AM

OK, clarification on the prescription medicine, from the TSA site:

"Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint."

Old 02-02-2010, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 20,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
No prescription documentation needed, but the eye drops must be in the ziploc bag.

Yes, relax. Fear of flying is very irrational, not unlike being afraid of the dark. The most dangerous part of your trip will be riding in the car to and from the airport.
Thanks. Like I said, I'm only afraid because I've never done it before. I'm not actually afraid of flying itself. I think I'll actually somewhat enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
OK, clarification on the prescription medicine, from the TSA site:

"Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint."
Thank you

Old 02-02-2010, 02:18 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
My best advice is to be patient. Security lines will probaby be long, people move slow as turtles getting on and off the plane. If you are in the back of the plane, it might take 20 minutes (literally) to deboard once they open the doors.

If you hear loud noises during take-off and landing, don't worry. Probably just the landing gear.

If the plane is shaking in the middle of the flight, you are just colliding with clouds, which have a physical mass (turbulance) and all will be fine. Don't panic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel