U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 AM

50 posts, read 132,745 times

Advertisements

going to key west in a couple weeks, just wondering if anyone who has been there has any tips on fun things to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:53 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,444,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker0217 View Post
going to key west in a couple weeks, just wondering if anyone who has been there has any tips on fun things to do
We stopped there in December on our cruise for a day...we really wished we would have had more time to visit as it seemed like there was a lot too see that we just didn't have time for (nor a car). We walked to the southern most tip of the US (mainland any how) where you are 90 miles from Cuba. My wife of course found the coach outlet store! I'm sure there are others who can offer lots of pointers on what to see/do, but just wanted to say that it seemed like a neat place to visit.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:48 PM

32,112 posts, read 33,023,250 times
Visit Ernest Hemingway's former home which is now a museum honoring his life:
Key West - HEMINGWAY HOME & MUSEUM

Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 PM

21,364 posts, read 21,922,845 times
Get a car so you can see some of the middle and upper keys.

The undersea treasure hunter family of Mel Fisher has a very interesting museum there...
Mel Fisher Maritime Museum and Mel Fisher Maritime Heritage Society in Key West, Florida

We've also done the swim-with-the-dolphins program in Islamorada which is about 1/2-way back up towards Miami but well worth the trip...
Swim With Dolphins - Theater of the Sea, Islamorada, Florida Keys

Because of traffic, try not to be heading South at the beginning of a weekend or holiday or North at the end of a weekend or holiday.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:30 PM

1,802 posts, read 7,303,682 times
So much to do! Of course there are tons of restaurants and bars. You have to eat at Pepe's Cafe at 806 Caroline Street - the oldest eating house in the keys. The food is great and the atmosphere is pure Key West. My 3 favorite bars are Capt Tony's Saloon on Greene St. (the original Sloppy Joe's), The Hog's Breath Saloon on Front St., and the Green Parrot Bar on Whitehead St.

As Chava61 suggested the Hemingway House is a must, and the Lighthouse is just across the street, so after you visit the Hemingway House climb to the top of the Lighthouse. The view is fantastic. I also enjoyed the tour of the Truman Little White House, the Butterfly and Nature Conservancy (I thought it was going to be lame but it was really cool), the Mel Fisher Museum, the Curry Mansion Museum and the Key West Aquarium.

Set a day aside to take the high-speed boat or the seaplane out to Ft. Jefferson at the Dry Tortugas National Park (75 miles west of Key West). The snorkeling is great, but even if you're not into that the trip is worthwhile. The fort was used as a prison during the Civil War, and afterwards Dr. Samuel Mudd was imprisoned there for his role in the plot to kill President Lincoln.

Definitely do the Sunset Party at Mallory Square, but also try to do a sunset cruise one evening. They're offered all over so you won't have trouble finding one.

There are tons of water sports if you're into that - snorkeling, scuba, parasailing, fishing, kayaking, etc. Lots of shopping. The ghost tour was fun.

I love Key West! It's been a little over 2 years since I was last there and I'm starting to get the itch again. Hope you enjoy it!

Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,813,797 times
Nobody has mentioned fishing?!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 AM

2,212 posts, read 4,609,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Set a day aside to take the high-speed boat or the seaplane out to Ft. Jefferson at the Dry Tortugas National Park (75 miles west of Key West). The snorkeling is great, but even if you're not into that the trip is worthwhile. The fort was used as a prison during the Civil War, and afterwards Dr. Samuel Mudd was imprisoned there for his role in the plot to kill President Lincoln.
I wholeheartedly recommend the Dry Tortugas. It ranks right up there with one of the best experiences I've had in my life (and that includes being proposed to at the top of the Eiffel Tower). Absolutely beautiful and when we snorkeled, we saw enormous turtles, tons and tons of fish, a few sting rays and even a dozen sharks. Quite literally out in the middle of nowhere but in the most beautiful water I've ever been lucky enough to get in. But...it's remote, so don't expect a minimart or a place to buy lunch. Make sure you know if your tour provides food and beverages because we saw a few people who took a boat out there and didn't even have water. It's remoteness makes it beautiful but also very primitive.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM

5,417 posts, read 5,405,023 times
We have been going to KW 2-3 times a year for 18 yrs. We stopped doing the "touristy" thing some years ago and now KW is our second home.

Where are you flying to? A car is a must so you can go up the Keys (60) mi. to Bahina State Park, it is beautiful and a gorgeous ride.

Go over to Stock Island and have a Hogfish sandwich at Hogfish Bar, get directions before you leave KW, it is only a couple of miles away, but hard to find. If you have cooking facilities, hit the fish warehouse next door. We got 2 11" lobster tails and 1/2" KW pink shrimp right off the boat for $15.00, what a wonderful dinner that was.

Our favorite Italian rest. is La Trottoria on duval, reservations are needed usually. Blue Heaven, El Siboney.

Go where the locals go and you won't pay through the roof.

Key West is one of those places once you go and leave it brings you back in.

Go on line to Trip Advisior, there are a lot of experts there that can give you a lot of pointers and good advise on Key West. Have a wonderful time. kelsie

Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,042,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Nobody has mentioned fishing?!
I will! I will! Avoid the large charter boats and spring for a private guide-we had a small boat, just me, a friend and the guide. First time I ever went fishing and didn't get my hands dirty-he did everything! We were tarpon fishing, and pulled in several good size fish. My biggest was 90 lbs. We also caught jacks, baracuda, bonnet sharks and one small stingray. Tried for a permit but he wasn't biting. It was great! Now I'm hooked on ocean fishing, which is difficult to do from Missouri...

I also highly recommend people watching. There is a wide variety of people in Key West, and just sitting back and observing can be very interesting. Avoid Margaritaville-the drinks aren't very good, just overpriced. I second Captain Tony's. Go to B.O's Fish Wagon for the best fried fish sandwiches (ask a local, no one else will know where it is near the Marina). Feed some chickens. Try the conch fritters. Eat Key Lime pie every day. Find the little bar at the Southernmost Beach and sit in the open air with a Mojito. Enjoy!

Last edited by firebll31; 02-07-2010 at 09:38 AM..

Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 PM

334 posts, read 948,073 times
We went there last fall-end of September. Since we always travel that time of year-off tourist season-we don't make lodging reservations and seldom have any problems. However, Key West nearly made us rethink that strategy. First of all, we wanted (and you'll want) to stay in the downtown area-Duvall Street, etc. That's where the lion's share of the restaurants, bars and shops, and historic sites are to be found. Because of that desirability, rooms are at a premium. Also, there are few conventional "hotels" in that area-B & B's seem to dominate. They're just not our cup of tea. But, if you want to be able to walk, window shop and drink, I highly recommend staying in the downtown area.

We made two or three "loops" scoping things out with our AAA book in hand. Ended up staying at the Hyatt Resort on Front Street. At $285/night plus a $12.00/person "resort fee" per day, it was far more expensive than our usual Best Western ($90.00 or so). But we found it to be extremely comfortable and impecably maintained. There's a swimming pool onsite and adjacent beach. The attractions of Duval Street were all well within walking distance, as are the fishing charters. Pepe's was terrific-we ate breakfast there twice. We also rented an electric car and drove around the island. We shopped, ate conch, shrimp and key lime pie and drank many Coronas. Key West is truly a beautiful tropical place that inspires "relaxation" and fun-Jimmy Buffett is right! Though we live in northern CA, we'll definitely return to the Keys to unwind.

Last edited by Jaybee; 02-09-2010 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: mis-spell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel