U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 07:57 AM

51,816 posts, read 29,901,232 times

Advertisements

Here's a list of airports that are a little tricky and in some cases scary to land in. Many of those require pilots to get extra training on simulators in order to master the final approaches and landings. In some of the videos that are included in the list, they show commercial jetliners like Boeing 747s, 757s, and Airbus A319/A320s, performing very sharp banks (turns) in the last stretch of the final approaches just before touch-downs in order to line up the aircraft with the center line of the runways.

I forgot which runway it was, but I overshot one of them and ended up on the sand of the beach, on the flight simulator a number of times, in a small twin engine Beechcraft, before finally mastering the landings on it. You have to skim over a hill that's just before the threshold of the runway. Once you clear that hill, you'll have to do a steep final, with the nose of the aircaft in a dive just before touchdown. The runway is also short, so you don't have much room to work with, and you have to touchdown with as much length on the runway as possible, otherwise go around, or touch and go to avoid overshooting the end of the runway.

World's Scariest Runways - Articles - Travel + Leisure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 11:56 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,449,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Here's a list of airports that are a little tricky and in some cases scary to land in. Many of those require pilots to get extra training on simulators in order to master the final approaches and landings. In some of the videos that are included in the list, they show commercial jetliners like Boeing 747s, 757s, and Airbus A319/A320s, performing very sharp banks (turns) in the last stretch of the final approaches just before touch-downs in order to line up the aircraft with the center line of the runways.

I forgot which runway it was, but I overshot one of them and ended up on the sand of the beach, on the flight simulator a number of times, in a small twin engine Beechcraft, before finally mastering the landings on it. You have to skim over a hill that's just before the threshold of the runway. Once you clear that hill, you'll have to do a steep final, with the nose of the aircaft in a dive just before touchdown. The runway is also short, so you don't have much room to work with, and you have to touchdown with as much length on the runway as possible, otherwise go around, or touch and go to avoid overshooting the end of the runway.

World's Scariest Runways - Articles - Travel + Leisure
Mike, the landing you describe sounds a lot like Toncontin airport in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, except they land jets there (and there's no beach)! Here's a video of a 757 landing there. Notice how close the aircraft is to the hill before it gets to the runway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_z5HtME9n8

By the way, there was an earlier thread about this very topic (I remember it because I posted this video there, too):
The World's Scariest Runways

Last edited by jdavid93225; 02-06-2010 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-06-2010, 01:06 PM

51,816 posts, read 29,901,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Mike, the landing you describe sounds a lot like Toncontin airport in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, except they land jets there (and there's no beach)! Here's a video of a 757 landing there. Notice how close the aircraft is to the hill before it gets to the runway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_z5HtME9n8

By the way, there was an earlier thread about this very topic (I remember it because I posted this video there, too):
The World's Scariest Runways
Thanks JD - I don't think the air strip I was talking about was Toncontin, it was much shorter than the one in the video and it was not designed for heavy jets like the 757-200 we saw in the video you posted. I might have the flight saved on the simulator, I'll have to check it.

I also didn't know that a topic was already posted about this.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:31 PM

60 posts, read 122,799 times
St. Barts?, here is a guy who should have gone around but looks like everyone was okay so good video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z2o0acIlm4

Old 02-09-2010, 07:58 PM

2,412 posts, read 6,467,887 times
I remember the first time I flew into Hong Kong's (now shuttered) Kai Tak airport on a PanAm 747. It was harrowing. The approach was like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKqO6gdJIz8

but this is how close to the ground the plane flew:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyU9OLqQ8XA

Old 02-11-2010, 01:45 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,334,945 times
Many years ago I flew into Kai Tak. I knew it would be interesting when the flight attendants showed us how to use life jackets just prior to the approach. However, flying so close to the buildings and seeing the bustle of Hong Kong was so exciting, I forgot to be scared.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:15 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,806,866 times
I actually miss Kai Tak airport, as old, rundown and grungy as it was. Even the approach from the harbour side could be exciting as all you could see was water on either side and no runway until the plane actually touched down followed by massive screeching of brakes as the pilot tried to stop the 747 before it ploughed into the Regal Oriental across the road. Not to mention the extreme left bank on takeoff to avoid hitting the mountains on Hong Kong Island. Happy days

Does anyone know what they're planning to do with the old airport? Last I heard people were trying to keep it running as an airport so pilots could practice difficult landings and takeoffs there.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:31 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,665,435 times
I'm not a pilot but flying into and out of John Wayne (Orange County, CA) is a definite E-Ticket ride. As it was explained to me, because of noise abatement laws takeoffs can be at or near full power. Apparently pilots gun the engines while holding onto the brakes before takeoff? And the angle of the climb is truly exciting. I've looked over at people taking off from John Wayne for the first time and seen looks of absolute horror cross their faces.

Plus you can drive on the 405 next to the airport and have jets flying 75 feet over your car!

Old 02-11-2010, 02:41 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,334,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm not a pilot but flying into and out of John Wayne (Orange County, CA) is a definite E-Ticket ride. As it was explained to me, because of noise abatement laws takeoffs can be at or near full power. Apparently pilots gun the engines while holding onto the brakes before takeoff? And the angle of the climb is truly exciting. I've looked over at people taking off from John Wayne for the first time and seen looks of absolute horror cross their faces.

Plus you can drive on the 405 next to the airport and have jets flying 75 feet over your car!
Yep, they do a short field takeoff. I love them. Great sensation of power as they accelerate down the runway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel