Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:04 PM

443 posts, read 1,345,706 times

Advertisements

I'm getting married in Ireland this summer...plane tickets for the June-July timeframe are still ridiculously expensive! From Houston or Dallas still over $1000 round trip. Last summer we were paying $600-$700 round trip from Houston to Dublin.

I'm wondering if the cutback in routes and supply of seats on many carriers has driven the price up...especially for peak tourist season this summer..UGH!

We are going to lose so many of our American guests if the prices don't at least drop down to the $800 range.

Anyone have any insights??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 07:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
I really don't know. This is a tough year for destination weddings.

Last season was crazy with the up-and-down, this season seems prohibitive, and more like the distant past. Is it fuel costs, or something more? dunno.

We went ahead and booked for our son to fly Paris to Denver for a May wedding in Santa Fe. With the exchange rate, the cost of the ticket was $750--that's high for shoulder season, at least compared to recent years.
Airfare might go down, but we just decided not to wait any longer.

Are you checking Aer Lingus every day? Signed up with Yapta and/or Farecompare? Checking ITA and Kayak?

I wonder if Aer Lingus would cut you a deal...but I realize your guests are probably scattered all over the place.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:59 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,240 times
I'm paying over $1400 with British Airways in June (direct flight + $60 for prebooking my seats) - it's just incredible how expensive these fares have become. Even the flights with layovers are roughly the same price.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:34 AM

443 posts, read 1,345,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I really don't know. This is a tough year for destination weddings.

Last season was crazy with the up-and-down, this season seems prohibitive, and more like the distant past. Is it fuel costs, or something more? dunno.

We went ahead and booked for our son to fly Paris to Denver for a May wedding in Santa Fe. With the exchange rate, the cost of the ticket was $750--that's high for shoulder season, at least compared to recent years.
Airfare might go down, but we just decided not to wait any longer.

Are you checking Aer Lingus every day? Signed up with Yapta and/or Farecompare? Checking ITA and Kayak?

I wonder if Aer Lingus would cut you a deal...but I realize your guests are probably scattered all over the place.
Yes, I have the kayak fare alert sending me updates every day. We think we are still just a bit too early, hopefully. We've never bought tickets this far in advance so we are hoping by early March some of the larger carriers will institute their summer discounts. My fiance is coming from Dublin to Houston in April for 3 weeks on British Airways and the ticket was only $585 round trip! That is giving us hope at the moment...

Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times
I had to purchase last minute tickets (2 day notice) to Krakow a couple of weeks ago and paid under $800/ticket, which is unbelievably cheap. I was expecting them to be well over $1000. Maybe wait closer to the date and try then.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:51 PM

Quite often there are sales in February, but usually there are sales in January, and I sure didn't see much of anything.

Younger people can be flexible, but any guests with children would probably need to make their plans well in advance.

I've found good deals posted here from time to time:

Cheap Flights/Eurotrip (http://www.eurotrip.com/category/forums/europeantravel/cheapflights - broken link)

Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,120 times
I don't think they will ever go down for a simple reason: it's the period of the year when children are on vacation, so that's the period when families travel the most! The times when schools are closed have always been the most expensive!

Old 02-04-2010, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I don't think they will ever go down for a simple reason: it's the period of the year when children are on vacation, so that's the period when families travel the most! The times when schools are closed have always been the most expensive!
Yes, it is understood that an ahead-of-time booking in July is usually going to be pricier than a last-minute ticket in January.

But 3 years ago, we were able to get cheap tickets (under $700) to Europe for July travel. Those were the good old days, I guess.

If any of the OP's friends are students, they should check out Student Universe or STA travel.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:40 AM

182 posts, read 540,478 times
I hope they come down some, but they probably won't. Last year I booked my non-stop flight from NY to Rome for $1006 in April. 2 weeks before that it was $880. I was so mad! The price continued to creep up to $1300 by the time June came around. My advice, if you see any price drop in Feb book it, if not, just book it for whatever the price by the middle of March.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:32 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times
We also flew to Paris in September from JFK and paid under $500 round trip for each ticket. So the deals are out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel