U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,486,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I agree about Amtrak.......I have been comparing prices and Amtrak is cheaper and a much better option IMO than Greyhound.
You sure Amtrak is cheaper from Colorado Springs to Cleveland ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 07:06 PM

14,278 posts, read 24,050,959 times
Quote:
I agree about Amtrak.......I have been comparing prices and Amtrak is cheaper and a much better option IMO than Greyhound.
On that route, the rates are very similar. And you probably will get their quicker on Greyhound as the trains through Chicago are always significantly delayed.

Personally, if I was the poster, I would find a way to Denver and catch a flight to Cleveland as the fares are very similar to the cost of the bus or the train and you will get there in five hours witha connection in Chicago.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:52 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,529,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
You sure Amtrak is cheaper from Colorado Springs to Cleveland ?
I don't know about that route, but a trip from SC to Kissimmee, Fl was cheaper on Amtrak than Greyhound. And quicker.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I don't know about that route, but a trip from SC to Kissimmee, Fl was cheaper on Amtrak than Greyhound. And quicker.
The route makes a SIGNIFICANT difference.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:20 PM

17,465 posts, read 21,309,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I traveled from Boston to Denver once on the Greyhound.
Besides being the most uncomfortable way to travel except maybe on a donkey, you will be surrounded by the dregs of society.
I was always amazed when I woke up that someone hadnít stolen my shoes while I slept.
Uncomfortable? Sleeping on a plane is far more uncomfortable. At least, there are stops along the way where you can get out and stretch your legs, have a cigarette, whatever.

Dregs of society? Do you have any idea of how many people, rich/middle class people who have never flown in a plane even if you gave them a free flight and thousands of dollars in incentives to do so? I have two relatives alone, elderly, have never flown in a plane, and never, ever will!

I worry far more about getting ripped off by well-dressed thieves. The best of the thieves are the ones you'll entrust the most, falsely judging them by the clothes or the cologne they wear. Thefts never happen on planes, when you fall off to sleep on a long-distance flight?

And the cost of bus tickets today? How on earth can the poor even afford them? I recently rode some Greyhound buses in December, first time in 20 years, and I will definitely do it again and again. But I was shocked at how expensive it had become, in 20 years time! So how do the poor do it today?
Hitchhike?

Myself, I enjoy congregating and socializing with the homeless/poor. Far more friendly people than you'll ever enounter at an airline terminal or in an airplane.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Uncomfortable? Sleeping on a plane is far more uncomfortable. At least, there are stops along the way where you can get out and stretch your legs, have a cigarette, whatever.
Yes, but a flight fron Colorado Springs to Cleveland in TWO hours; by bus or train, it is close to 37 hours according to the timetables on the Amtrak or Greyhound websites.

I have done my share of bus travel on Megabus recently but eight hours on a bus is about my limit.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:15 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,412,150 times
Amtrak is significantly different from a bus. It's more like a cruise ship, you can get up and walk around, move from car to car, sit in a comfortable place and chat with other passengers, take food on board with you and have a comfortable place to eat. If the train is crowded, there might be less opportunity to wander about, but the trains are not often crowded.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:24 PM

325 posts, read 991,195 times
I have to agree with the other posters.....try to price Amtrak. It has to be much more comfortable and chances are there will be fewer transfers. I am not one to judge others but I must admit that I feel very uncomfortable with some of the Greyhound passengers. Once I took a bus from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia and vowed to never do it again. I am terrrified to fly and chances are I never will but when I travel I always use Amtrak. In fact I have a nice long trip planned from Pittburgh to Disney World this May. I splurged this time and purchased a sleeping car.....now those are EXPENSIVE.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:46 AM

32 posts, read 114,838 times
hi sammy here i tried amtrak to go to kissami florida from amtrak and its more transfers than greyhound. amtrak is also very hard to get a window seat even if u ask for one on greyhound u can sit by a window easy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or