Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how it is? Because Im going to be taking one from Colorado Springs to Cleveland sometime in the near future. And is it easy when you have to transfer from one bus to another bus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 04:27 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
It's better for short haul than for overnight journeys but you CAN sleep (everyone will be sleeping) and the prices are dirt-cheap, especially if you qualify for the senior discount. Transfers are easy- just tell the driver what you need to do The station personnel tell you what gate to line up at etc. You'll be fine, just make your needs known. You can book everything online. Have a great trip!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
...you CAN sleep...
I traveled from Boston to Denver once on the Greyhound.
I swore I would never ride the bus again.
Besides being the most uncomfortable way to travel except maybe on a donkey, you will be surrounded by the dregs of society.
I was always amazed when I woke up that someone hadn’t stolen my shoes while I slept.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:33 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times
It often similar to the price of flying when going lost distances, and can be a huge pain. The routes are generally indirect so you squirrel your way all over the place. To get from point A to B you havta go to C, D, E, and F as well.
Traveling in the NE is nice and easy, but elsewhere, greyhound is not always so great.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:49 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
ok if you can get on an express route from A to B.

Beware of traveling long distances and the bus stops at nearly every small town.

It happened to the wife as her ticket got screwed up and they had her on a bus that stopped at nearly every small town between St Cloud MiN and Memphis.

Minneapolis couldn't/wouldn't change the ticket mistake.
Chicago said they did ( but didn't)

Finally, Memphis was able to change it and the rest of the trip to Pensacola FL went smoother.

Memphis said Minneapolis and Chicago could easily have corrected it ( but they didn't. They just said it was corrected )

Old 02-08-2010, 03:13 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
I did it once many, many years ago, on a two or three day Greyhound trip from Oklahoma to Ct. I still have nightmares about it. LOL, seriously, it was most unpleasant. Transfers are not difficult. But as someone else pointed out, you'll be sitting next to some unsavory types, and after a day or more of travel some of them are not smelling very good....

Old 02-08-2010, 03:39 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I traveled from Boston to Denver once on the Greyhound.
I swore I would never ride the bus again.
Besides being the most uncomfortable way to travel except maybe on a donkey, you will be surrounded by the dregs of society.
I was always amazed when I woke up that someone hadn’t stolen my shoes while I slept.
Hate to say I've found this to be true as well.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:07 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,126 times
It's been a while since I rode the Greydog, but I'll just say it would be my absolute last resort as a travel option, especially on a long trip

Old 02-08-2010, 06:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
It can be just as cheap to fly, if you book far enough ahead and are lucky to have the right airlines going where you go. But unless you have someone taking you to the airport and picking you up, flying is also a nightmare, except for the small part of your trip that you're actually on an airplane. Consider Amtrak, which is a great deal more comfortable than the bus.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It can be just as cheap to fly, if you book far enough ahead and are lucky to have the right airlines going where you go. But unless you have someone taking you to the airport and picking you up, flying is also a nightmare, except for the small part of your trip that you're actually on an airplane. Consider Amtrak, which is a great deal more comfortable than the bus.
I agree about Amtrak.......I have been comparing prices and Amtrak is cheaper and a much better option IMO than Greyhound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel