Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:11 AM

118 posts, read 537,467 times

Advertisements

Allow me to lay out my situation..

I am going to Dublin this June. I live in Columbus, OH. I'm flying American from CMH/ I have a layover at O'Hare, then nonstop to Dublin from there. I have never flown at all, let alone International. SO i have a few questions...first, i only have from 6:25 pm to 7:15 pm local time to get off my plane in Chicago onto another plane for Dublin. I booked the whole package together so it seems like the airline would allow enough time for the connection but it doesnt seem like very long. DO i have to go through customs and check baggage and all that in Chi?

Basically, can someone explain to me the process please?!

I believe I'll be entering and leaving from the same terminal in Ohare, too.

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:41 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
That is a short connection. Better pray that the plane leaves Columbus early and gets a good tailwind. YIKES! Even for a domestic change that is tight. The airlines do this all the time so they do know that your connection time is tight. I'd call the airline and see if there is an earlier flight out of Columbus to Chicago just to give you some cushion. Even 3-4 hours would be fine. You would have time to spare IF something delayed the plane from taking off at Columbus. If it happens to make it on time that gives you a few hours to find something to eat and not have to scarf it down in a hurry. Buy something to read, go to the restroom, make any last minute calls, etc before having to board your plane onto Dublin.

Now, when you check in for your flight at Columbus you will check your bags ALL THE WAY THRU! You will never see your bags in Chicago except for whatever you carry with you onto the plane. You won't be going thru customs either in Chicago on your way out. Once you show the ticket agent at Columbus your passport and travel documents and go thru security you won't have to do it again. Unless you leave the secured area in Chicago so do NOT do that. I'd still call and see about getting an earlier flight out of Columbus. Even though the airlines KNOW that someone is coming in on another flight that may be running late they won't always hold the connection flight for you.

Now on your return flight.......... I do hope you have a LOT longer of a layover coming home then. This is when you WILL have to claim your bags, go thru customs and recheck them to get onto the next flight. Your first leg will be an international flight but the second leg will be domestic. So EVERYONE on that international flight will be getting off, claiming their luggage, going thru customs and rechecking their bags IF they are continuing on another flight to another destination. Depending on the setup of the airport and their customs area some have a counter right there for these passangers to recheck their luggage once they clear customs. Again, depending on the airport you may have to go thru security AGAIN just to get to your domestic leg of the journey. I'd allow plenty of time for this layover for sure.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:06 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
What momof2 wrote was correct.

Short answer - if you are a U.S. citizen you don't have to "go through customs" as you embark. Just show your passport as you get your boarding pass, check in your luggage, go through normal security, and you are on your way. Almost no difference from a domestic flight.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:45 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
That is a short connection. Better pray that the plane leaves Columbus early and gets a good tailwind. YIKES! Even for a domestic change that is tight. The airlines do this all the time so they do know that your connection time is tight. I'd call the airline and see if there is an earlier flight out of Columbus to Chicago just to give you some cushion. Even 3-4 hours would be fine. You would have time to spare IF something delayed the plane from taking off at Columbus. If it happens to make it on time that gives you a few hours to find something to eat and not have to scarf it down in a hurry. Buy something to read, go to the restroom, make any last minute calls, etc before having to board your plane onto Dublin.

Now, when you check in for your flight at Columbus you will check your bags ALL THE WAY THRU! You will never see your bags in Chicago except for whatever you carry with you onto the plane. You won't be going thru customs either in Chicago on your way out. Once you show the ticket agent at Columbus your passport and travel documents and go thru security you won't have to do it again. Unless you leave the secured area in Chicago so do NOT do that. I'd still call and see about getting an earlier flight out of Columbus. Even though the airlines KNOW that someone is coming in on another flight that may be running late they won't always hold the connection flight for you.

Now on your return flight.......... I do hope you have a LOT longer of a layover coming home then. This is when you WILL have to claim your bags, go thru customs and recheck them to get onto the next flight. Your first leg will be an international flight but the second leg will be domestic. So EVERYONE on that international flight will be getting off, claiming their luggage, going thru customs and rechecking their bags IF they are continuing on another flight to another destination. Depending on the setup of the airport and their customs area some have a counter right there for these passangers to recheck their luggage once they clear customs. Again, depending on the airport you may have to go thru security AGAIN just to get to your domestic leg of the journey. I'd allow plenty of time for this layover for sure.
this is right on - could definitely have some stress making that connection, but you will not have to worry about luggage/customs, etc while leaving the country

I was on my way back from mexico, getting to phoenix via charlotte a few years back

For some reason the plane was delayed about 2 hours in cancun, then they put us on the plane and we sat there on the plane for another hour and half before taking off

thankfully we didn't check any bags and only had to deal with our carry ons - the people around us were cool with us getting off the plane quickly and the flight staff was great

we met a line at customs which was not at all sympathetic (more the agents than the fellow pax)

by the time we got through that we needed to clear security again

got through there and sprinted through the airport with my bag in one hand, shoes in the other

made it to the gate right when they were closing up - if we missed that flight it would of been a nice night of sleeping in the charlotte airport

we thought we left plenty of time on the connection, but sometimes things happen - even if 90% of the time things go smoothly

Old 04-13-2009, 02:27 PM

228 posts, read 1,000,523 times
Momoftwodfw, gave you some good advice..having that close of a time line would make me nervous, but Im a big time planner and worry about everything! (Just a thought.. Does American show that you DO change planes, or does it just take this long to refuel and board new passengers?)

So, I wont repeat any of this advice, but...since you have never flown, relax and enjoy the experience! I LOVE to fly, especially if it would take me to some place like Dublin! Ive never been there, but its certainly on my list of places Id love to visit.

Make sure you KNOW what you can take onboard and what you cant. You can visit Americans website to find out all this info. I like to know what movies they are showing, and if its nothing Im going to be interested in, I would make sure I had something to entertain me/my family. I have a very hard time sleeping on an airplane, where as my hubby is asleep the minute he sits down. I usually make sure that I have something to keep me warm, whether its a light blanket/sweater/jacket.

And,dont forget, its a long flight, so make sure you drink plenty of water, and do get up often. I dont know how old you are, or how good of health you are, but I have noticed I dont do as well flying now, as I use to when I was much younger and in better health. They also have excersises (find these online too)that you can do in your seat. I thought this pretty silly, but actually if its a long flight, you need to keep your circulation going! I didnt drink enough water nor move around as much as I should have on flight a few years ago coming home from Europe, and my ankle started swelling, and it really gave me a scare. Not trying to scare you, but just be aware of how to survive a long flight (to me thats anything over 3 hours).

Dublin!! How exciting, sure wish I was going to be on that flight with you!!Enjoy, and have a very smooth flight!! Dot

Old 04-13-2009, 03:10 PM

515 posts, read 1,329,953 times
That should be enough time. I've had shorter layovers. Unless there's a problem you should be ok.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:31 PM

DotLib,

there are different flight numbers, so i assume it is a different flight. That's an interesting thought though. And I'm 20, so I feel like i should be okay with the health issues haha.

Thanks everyone and keep advice coming if possible.

If i cann and try to get an earlier flight, what are the chanceS? Is it free?

Old 04-13-2009, 07:47 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt486 View Post
DotLib,

there are different flight numbers, so i assume it is a different flight. That's an interesting thought though. And I'm 20, so I feel like i should be okay with the health issues haha.

Thanks everyone and keep advice coming if possible.

If i cann and try to get an earlier flight, what are the chanceS? Is it free?
It might not be free and it will depend on what class of service you booked and what is available on an earlier flight how much it may cost you. It could be anywhere from $50-600. Here is the thing though......... how much will it cost you if you MISS the connection to Dublin out of Chicago? I don't care, for an international connection that is WAY TOO SHORT of a connection. I wouldn't dare try it even if it was just me flying solo and I know the layout of the airport like the back of my hand. Way too many variables can come into play and keep you from making that connection. Coming home I'm hardly ever worried about making a connection but to get to my vacation destination......... no way. I want to make it easily with no worries.

Someone else mentioned getting up and moving around. That is the key. Another is to wear very comfortable shoes. If you take your shoes off on that long flight to Dublin and they were a "perfect fit" when you got on the plane........ they may not fit at all for you to put them on to get off the plane. So wear shoes that have plenty of room and are very comfortable (and you can RUN in to make the connection ). And shoes that are easy to slip off and on when going thru security. They do have chairs for you to sit in once your thru security but if your in a hurry..... no need to wait to slip on shoes and tie them. You will be surprised at the number of people in sandals nowadays.

I'd carry a backpack instead of a regular carry-on for ease of hustling in a hurry to make the connection as well thru the airport. Easily can throw over your shoulder and go. I also like backpacks for touring around once at our destinations. Same goes for the fanny packs even though they are not as stylish and such they are good for traveling. Instead of those (the fanny packs) though now I have a small purse from Vera Bradley that has a long enough strap that fits over my head and shoulder and easily holds all pertinent info and close to my body in front of me.

Stores like Target now carry very small travel sized items of things like hand wash, deodorant, toothpaste, etc. Pick you up some of those for your carry-on as you may want them near the end of that long flight over. And JUST IN CASE your checked baggage does not make the connection in Chicago (your only giving the baggage handlers 40 minutes to unload all of the luggage on the flight from Columbus and then get it sorted and your bag over to the plane to Dublin and loaded - YIKES) you have some to get you by. Just make sure these travel sizes are 3 oz or less and they are all in a ziploc bag. Same goes for any and all meds. Put them all in a ziploc bag. Don't get hung up on the quart size either. I have a child with asthma and our meds take up an entire gallon sized freezer bag and no one has ever said one word about the size of the ziploc and that is for domestic and international flights.

If you know where your going and can and don't mind you can always check on shipping your luggage ahead of you. A lot of airlines do this now or you can use FedEx and UPS. With what it is costing now for luggage it is almost getting to the point this is a very viable option. Then you don't have to worry about any checked baggage during your trip and it is at your lodging waiting on you when you get there. We have also shipped things home. Like dirty clothes... bad, I know but hey, it was cheaper than paying the airline the oversized fee and all. And it wasn't like I was going to need our ski clothes once we got home to Dallas

Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 PM

I read that if my flight was booked on the same itinerary, I can just take the next plane if delays cause me to miss my connection. Any truth?

Old 04-13-2009, 10:15 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
One thing I would suggest is finding out in advance gate numbers and knowing how far you need to truck in the terminal to get from one gate to the next. They should have a map of O'Hare online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel