Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:47 PM

310 posts, read 1,700,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I also use this as a very quick simple search, yahoo travel using flexible dates:

Cheap Plane Tickets - Yahoo! Travel

All the databases, including the above are picking up that Airtran rate of $164, United, US air, and Delta are about $20 more if you want to pick up FF miles.

But, dude, I just realized it can't be more than a 5 hour drive from Jax to Charlotte. Could be even quicker to drive when you consider parking at the airport, security, etc.
Hey Dd714,
Thanks for the suggestion about Yahoo but 1) I'm not a dude, I'm female and 2) I'm not planning to drive to JAX because I don't like driving, have never owned a car, have no interest in ever owning a car nor any interest in renting a vehicle, haven't driven in about 25 years, let my drivers license expire about 8 months ago and would be perfectly fine never driving again, prefer other forms of transportation!

And Guess What-- I'm planning to live in JAX without a car and without driving!! How can that be? (Isn't it Impossible? Can't be Done in the Land of Sprawl?) Well, I plan to do it by by making the choice to reside in a safe, walkable, bikeable neighborhood, (yes, believe it or not, they DO exist!) with public transportation nearby, close to shopping, restaurants, other necessities, riding my bike for most of my transportation needs but also taking public transit when necessary, even BUSES!!
I can hear it now: Yikes!! the Horror of it All! !!! How can she possibly live that way??

Sorry if I've shocked you, just need to let loose once in a while-- I get so tired of all the assumptions that EVERYONE drives/has a car or SHOULD drive/own a car and the assumption that NOT driving/not owning a car is strange, somehow suspect and even possibly "UnAmerican?!!

(Hey dude, think of me as a rebel, "The Militant NonDriver" !!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 09:44 AM

310 posts, read 1,700,407 times
Default Sorry about the Rant!

Hey, just tried to edit my last "angry" post here but couldn't do it.

Guess I was in a "tizzy" yesterday when I posted my Angry NonDriver Rant, hope I didn't offend anyone, but I do get frustrated with the Car-Centric Culture & Car-Centric assumptions in this country!

Peace for now............

Old 02-19-2010, 01:18 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Hey, just tried to edit my last "angry" post here but couldn't do it.

Guess I was in a "tizzy" yesterday when I posted my Angry NonDriver Rant, hope I didn't offend anyone, but I do get frustrated with the Car-Centric Culture & Car-Centric assumptions in this country!

Peace for now............
No need to edit it! I liked it. Dudette.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:51 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Bing has acquired the 'farewatch' website. They search all the other travel websites (airlines, discounters like expedia and kayak) for the cheapest fare. They also, for most cities offer a prediction of 'buy' or 'wait'.

Bing Travel page

I used it to find fares a couple of months ago for a last minute trip (funeral), and managed to find very affordable fares (less than $300, flying from DC to Cedar Rapids IA).

Old 02-22-2010, 02:10 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I use Side-Step. What you see is what you get. They post the cheapest, and not-so-cheapest on 'Real Time', and the rates include the fees and taxes ~ which I like.

Something that infuriates me is the difference in how rates are quoted between travel sites and even airlines. There was one that seemed to offer really low rates comparatively; however, their fees and taxes were a lot higher than everywhere else. Thus, it added up to the same. It's all marketing.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I use Side-Step. What you see is what you get. They post the cheapest, and not-so-cheapest on 'Real Time', and the rates include the fees and taxes ~ which I like.
The only thing I didn't like about Sidestep was the way it sort of "took up residence" in my computer. They've probably changed it, it's been awhile since I uninstalled it. Skyscanner is real time, too.
Quote:

It's all marketing.
Yup.
I just use ITA and a little bit of everything else, and diligently search.
Buyer beware.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Bing has acquired the 'farewatch' website. They search all the other travel websites (airlines, discounters like expedia and kayak) for the cheapest fare. They also, for most cities offer a prediction of 'buy' or 'wait'.

Bing Travel page

I used it to find fares a couple of months ago for a last minute trip (funeral), and managed to find very affordable fares (less than $300, flying from DC to Cedar Rapids IA).
I like that site by BING! Thanks!

One question, if you don't mind, or anyone else that would like to chime in; would you possibly wait until the last minute to book a flight in hopes of landing a cheaper fare, say, perhaps five to eight days before the set date of the plane taking off to destination?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Buyer beware.
What would be some of the things you would tell a novice like me searching for airfare over the internet?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post

One question, if you don't mind, or anyone else that would like to chime in; would you possibly wait until the last minute to book a flight in hopes of landing a cheaper fare, say, perhaps five to eight days before the set date of the plane taking off to destination?
I would probably advise against that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
What would be some of the things you would tell a novice like me searching for airfare over the internet?
Well, it's pretty much in this thread.

ITA, Airfarewatchdog, Farecompare, Kayak, Yapta
These are search engines

Then there are the budget airlines
Southwest
Airtran
Jet Blue
Spirit
Frontier

As we have said: Be flexible about dates if you can. Search diligently.
Try to book from the airline's own website, but do not rule out the consolidators, such as Orbitz. If you do use a consolidator like Orbitz, Cheaptickets, or Travelocity, be sure to read how much the *entire* fare (with taxes) will be before purchase. I would advise a novice to avoid Priceline. I did okay with it, but it can be kind of tricky.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:55 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Cheapest website to buy airline tickets will ALWAYS be the airlines website. Don't be fooled by The Shat (Williams Shatner) or the expedia sites, etc. Those are for people that don't know better.
Not true, I just did this search right now and Expedia is cheaper than the airline.
Attached Thumbnails
Your favorite website for bargain flights? Best way to track lowest fares?-flight.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel