Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 01:29 PM

310 posts, read 1,694,724 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to to take a flight from Charlotte NC to Jacksonville FL in a little over 2 weeks. But my driver's license expired last June, 8 months ago. I actually don't drive/don't own a car so I let the license lapse (after renewing it for decades, very easy to do in New York State where I'm originally from but here in NC they make it difficult to switch from an out-of-state license or renew one.)

I don't have any other picture ID (what would be acceptable for that besides a driver's license?) Has anyone else had problems presenting an expired driver's license for ID when taking a flight? Or presenting an expired license at a hotel where you have reservations? I was just about to reserve my flight online & reserve my hotel stay but then realized this situation, don't want to throw away my money. Or should I just take my chances & go through with the reservations? Will I lose my money if they refuse me on the flight? And what about my return flight? (BTW, I'm an American citizen, a short female over 45 yrs old & don't look "suspicious" at all.)

The last I drove was just briefly, over 20 yrs ago & I've never owned a car so have just used my drivers license as picture ID. And since it expired, anytime I've presented it for ID, no one seems to notice the expiration date, never questioned me about it, there's been no problems. But I haven't flown at all since last June (last time was in August 2008) and didn't think about this till today. It would be nearly impossible for me to renew the license before March 6th when I'd like to take my flight-- from what I've heard, North Carolina is very tough on people from other states with expired licenses. They would make me take a road test again & I'd fail it (in New York State all I had to do to renew my license was pass a vision test,) Been meaning to to take care of this situation before now but kept procrastinating. Now I probably won't have time before my planned trip.

Am I scr*ewed? Will I have to postpone this trip? And if I can't get a driver's license in the future, what about other forms of ID? I know I sound a little ditzy today, hopefully someone here is sympathetic about my situation. Any helpful feedback or suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,800,013 times
You don't need an actual license, just an unexpired government issued ID> TSA may or may not catch that it's expired.

Why not just go to NC DMV and get a non-driver ID card? Don't let on that you have the expired NY license.

Info here:

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Identification Cards (http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/other_services/general/pictureID.html - broken link)

They will still let you fly with the expired license, but you will be subject to very, very thorough screening which will include pat downs, wandings, and every single inch of your carry on and check luggage searched. If you do go that route, expect a minimum two hours extra for security at the airport.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,601,096 times
Get to the airport early!
They will accept the ID, but not all by itself. You will have to undergo additional screening, which can be anywhere from 10 minutes to a hour depending on how quickly they can identify you and make sure you are you and not some terrorist with a fake ID trying to get on the plane. An expired ID is not that big a deal if you have alternative ID. If you have nothing, the expired ID is a red flag and if it expired months ago, they have to wonder why you havn't obtained a valid ID since that time. Is there something preventing you from getting one, like your illegal or on some terrorist list? You can call TSA and ask them directly what to expect and they will tell you what alternatve documents to bring.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
An expired ID is not that big a deal if you have alternative ID. If you have nothing, the expired ID is a red flag and if it expired months ago, they have to wonder why you havn't obtained a valid ID since that time. Is there something preventing you from getting one, like your illegal or on some terrorist list? You can call TSA and ask them directly what to expect and they will tell you what alternatve documents to bring.
To "PacificFlights": what's preventing me from renewing my drivers license is that I haven't actually driven in over 20yrs and moved to North Carolina about a year before my New York State drivers license expired. For over 20 yrs I always renewed my license in NY state with no problem since all you have to do there is pass a vision test. But here in North Carolina, they make you jump through hoops at the DMV, it's one of the strictest states to switch from an out-of-state license or renew an out-of-state license, many people complain how complicated/difficult they make it! (Charlotte NC has had so many transplants from other states, especially from the Northeast, especially from NY state-- maybe they're trying to discourage more newcomers?) So I avoided the DMV office here in Charlotte & now I'm screwed (Again, I don't actually drive or own a car-- I'm not behind the wheel endangering anyone on the roads! Instead, I'm the one at risk as a pedestrian & bike-rider here in NC!)

I do have other alternative ID, just not picture ID. And after I calmed down a while ago, I phoned the US Airways 800 cust service ph# & was told that presenting a social security card and a credit card with my name will probably be OK. Also, the rep just about admitted they might not even notice the license has expired, but to get to the airport a little early anyway. (Just passing along this info in case anyone else here is in the same situation!!)
Thanks to those who responded.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:28 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,800,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
To "PacificFlights": what's preventing me from renewing my drivers license is that I haven't actually driven in over 20yrs and moved to North Carolina about a year before my New York State drivers license expired. For over 20 yrs I always renewed my license in NY state with no problem since all you have to do there is pass a vision test. But here in North Carolina, they make you jump through hoops at the DMV, it's one of the strictest states to switch from an out-of-state license or renew an out-of-state license, many people complain how complicated/difficult they make it! (Charlotte NC has had so many transplants from other states, especially from the Northeast, especially from NY state-- maybe they're trying to discourage more newcomers?) So I avoided the DMV office here in Charlotte & now I'm screwed (Again, I don't actually drive or own a car-- I'm not behind the wheel endangering anyone on the roads! Instead, I'm the one at risk as a pedestrian & bike-rider here in NC!)

I do have other alternative ID, just not picture ID. And after I calmed down a while ago, I phoned the US Airways 800 cust service ph# & was told that presenting a social security card and a credit card with my name will probably be OK. Also, the rep just about admitted they might not even notice the license has expired, but to get to the airport a little early anyway. (Just passing along this info in case anyone else here is in the same situation!!)
Thanks to those who responded.
The US Air rep didn't have a clue as to what they were talking about. US Air doesn't control access to the planes, the TSA does.

TSA: ID Requirements for Airport Checkpoints

Without ID they can prevent you from boarding. As I said, your best bet is to get a state issued ID card.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:40 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,754,305 times
I had a license expired at one time (let it lapse for a few weeks) and they would not accept it as proof of ID at that point. I knew it was expired and, really, I was curious to see if they would catch it or not - they sure did. Luckily I had my passport ready for that eventuality and was able to provide that. Without it, I would not have been able to board.

To annerk - it was the airline check in agent that caught it while checking in luggage. I have no doubt they would have refused to give me a boarding pass at that point.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:10 PM

111 posts, read 434,442 times
You need to go get a government issued state ID. Not a drivers license, just an ID. Even if you get lucky and they don't catch that your license is expired when you're at the Charlotte airport, they may catch it when you're at the Jacksonville airport trying to get home.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:54 PM

To the last two who responded: Thanks for the warnings, I would hate to miss my return flight back home! Guess I'll look into going to a DMV to get a non-driver ID before I take my flight. Unfortunately, all the DMVs here are located in areas that that are convenient for drivers with cars, not for those of us who have to take buses to get there!!
(Hmm,, I wonder why)

Old 02-17-2010, 12:57 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,645,110 times
Why don't you get a passport? They're good for ten years and nothing gets you through airport lines faster. Just a thought.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:39 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,082,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Why don't you get a passport? They're good for ten years and nothing gets you through airport lines faster. Just a thought.
It would be unwise to try to get a passport 2 weeks before your departure. Mine ended up taking about 3 months.

Just run to the DMV and get a non drivers ID. If it ain't crowded it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel