U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2010, 08:14 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,763,716 times
Reputation: 13025

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Study: Only 3 Percent of Americans Live Healthy Lifestyle
I'm in those 3%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2010, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,393 posts, read 24,242,632 times
Reputation: 8883
Quote:
I'm in those 3%.
And 97% are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,763,716 times
Reputation: 13025
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
And 97% are not.
And your point is? We need to stop rewarding bad behavior. If someone CHOOSES to abuse their body so they can't fit in a standard seat, then they need to suffer the consequences and buy two seats. We shouldn't be making it easier for people to abuse their body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Status: "Send HIM back- to Queens!" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Eureka CA
8,350 posts, read 11,195,605 times
Reputation: 12720
Default Still don't get it?

Kevin Smith's incident had nothing to do with weight and everything to do with the fact that he has a movie coming out. Check the Chicago Trib website for an entertaining slideshow of other celebs who have been ousted from planes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 11:32 AM
 
12,050 posts, read 21,670,678 times
Reputation: 11908
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That study is flawed in that it doesn't take into account the additional money put into the system by healthy people who don't leave the workforce early or on a regular basis for treatments related to obesity or smoking.

I might live longer than a woman the same age who weighs 300+ pounds, but I'll also work and pay into the system for an additional 20 years after the other woman begins to collect SSDI and medicare at the age of 45. My additional taxes and health insurance premiums more than cover the longer lifespan--by about 500%.
Point is it's relatively cheap to treat obesity but is expensive to treat long term illnesses that healthy, longer living people get. I'm not sure if they ignored the points you make as I wasn't able to find the actual write up of the report, my guess is you weren't either so you're really just taking a stab in the dark. A long term illness costs hundreds of thousands if not millions to treat as well. What percentage of obese people "retire" at 45 and receive disability? I doubt very many, in fact if XX% of the population is overweight/obese I would say it's negligible but neither of us have any facts to back that up. All we can go on is the Dutch study.

On a side note if you truly feel like you come across on these forums you'll have a heart attack by 50 from stress so no worries there - those obese people will outlive you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 12:02 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,763,716 times
Reputation: 13025
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Point is it's relatively cheap to treat obesity but is expensive to treat long term illnesses that healthy, longer living people get. I'm not sure if they ignored the points you make as I wasn't able to find the actual write up of the report, my guess is you weren't either so you're really just taking a stab in the dark. A long term illness costs hundreds of thousands if not millions to treat as well. What percentage of obese people "retire" at 45 and receive disability? I doubt very many, in fact if XX% of the population is overweight/obese I would say it's negligible but neither of us have any facts to back that up. All we can go on is the Dutch study.

On a side note if you truly feel like you come across on these forums you'll have a heart attack by 50 from stress so no worries there - those obese people will outlive you!
My blood pressure is just fine.

The last time I was in a position where a 400 pound lady tried to claim 50% of my seat, it wasn't pretty for the airline. I wasn't even able to fasten my seatbelt because she was sitting on it! They ended up refunding me my ticket and putting me into first class because I asked for the CRO to mediate the situation. I paid for a full seat--which means armrest down and stay on your own side. If you can't do so, buy two seats. I tried to be discrete about it, but she ended up raising a stink because it wasn't "her fault" that the seats were so small. This woman wouldn't have fit into a first class seat she was so large. Puh-lease! She absolutely should have known she needed two seats, she was just too cheap or foolish or inconsiderate to buy them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 12:16 PM
 
12,050 posts, read 21,670,678 times
Reputation: 11908
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My blood pressure is just fine.

The last time I was in a position where a 400 pound lady tried to claim 50% of my seat, it wasn't pretty for the airline. I wasn't even able to fasten my seatbelt because she was sitting on it! They ended up refunding me my ticket and putting me into first class because I asked for the CRO to mediate the situation. I paid for a full seat--which means armrest down and stay on your own side. If you can't do so, buy two seats. I tried to be discrete about it, but she ended up raising a stink because it wasn't "her fault" that the seats were so small. This woman wouldn't have fit into a first class seat she was so large. Puh-lease! She absolutely should have known she needed two seats, she was just too cheap or foolish or inconsiderate to buy them.
Wow that's a great story, you should print it out and frame it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 12:48 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,763,716 times
Reputation: 13025
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Wow that's a great story, you should print it out and frame it.
Did I strike a nerve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 01:37 PM
 
12,050 posts, read 21,670,678 times
Reputation: 11908
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Did I strike a nerve?
Yeah I can hardly fit into airplane seats and can't wait to squish those like you in the process.

I get the best seat in the house in the plane, really I feel bad for the common folk. Mine is lined with sheepskin (at least I think it is, looks similar).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 03:40 PM
 
Location: The Raider Nation._ Our band kicks brass
1,854 posts, read 8,764,555 times
Reputation: 2310
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Yeah I can hardly fit into airplane seats and can't wait to squish those like you in the process.

I get the best seat in the house in the plane, really I feel bad for the common folk. Mine is lined with sheepskin (at least I think it is, looks similar).
You can be sure that your seat is the best sheepskin available. We change them out on a regular basis, and we hardly ever coat them with Sky-drol.

Of course it has been rumored that the last pilot that really torqued off his mechanic got black carbon stripes on his white shirt, courtesy of the logbook pages getting rubbed on his shoulder harness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top