U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 11:52 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,354,208 times

Advertisements

The Transportation Security Administration concedes that a 4-year-old boy heading to Walt Disney World for a birthday celebration should not have been forced to remove his leg braces during an airport-security screening in Philadelphia, a Philly columnist writes. (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/84368492.html - broken link)

The Philadelphia Inquirer's Daniel Rubin writes that the incident occurred last March when Ryan Thomas was flying to Orlando with his parents, Bob and Leona, but that the TSA apologized last week only after the columnist got wind of it.

Rubin says Ryan was born 16 weeks prematurely and started to walk only last March because his ankles are malformed and his legs have low muscle tone.

TSA screeners insisted that Ryan take off his braces and walk through the detector unaccompanied.

Rubin writes that the TSA, in its apology, said Ryan should have been taken into a private area and swabbed for traces of explosive materials.

TSA apologizes for forcing 4-year-old to remove leg braces at airport screening -

Out-fricking-rageous.

Apologize??!! They need to be burned at the stake for crimes like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
I love the word "concedes." Like there was ever any question?

The TSA is the biggest money sucking boondoggle ever seen in this country, and should be disbanded, period. Instead of a bunch of inept idiots--many who came off welfare and on to the TSA payroll, the FBI or Air Marshall service should be running the show at airports.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:21 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,968,392 times
This is crazy. I can't imagine how that poor little boy felt...

Old 02-17-2010, 08:08 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,052,375 times
The TSA is nothing but an appearance of safety.
It is the most ridiculous deterrent to air travel I have ever seen.

On the other hand I feel completely safe in Europe's airports/train stations with military walking around with machine guns.
What is the grossly overweight TSA employee going to do to a bad guy? Sit on them?
Most I've seen could not chase anyone down.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,804,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
The TSA is nothing but an appearance of safety.
It is the most ridiculous deterrent to air travel I have ever seen.

On the other hand I feel completely safe in Europe's airports/train stations with military walking around with machine guns.
What is the grossly overweight TSA employee going to do to a bad guy? Sit on them?
Most I've seen could not chase anyone down.
That's assuming they wake up long enough to spot the bad guy . Honestly, I've never seen a bunch of people less interested in their jobs and more interested in wielding their power.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:48 PM

28,240 posts, read 39,890,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Rubin writes that the TSA, in its apology, said Ryan should have been taken into a private area and swabbed for traces of explosive materials.
This caught my eye even more that the "We're really stupid" portion.

They concede they screwed up then decide they should have swabbed a 4 year old with obvious problems for explosive materials instead?

Intelligence is dropping at an alarming rate and now we have no common sense in this country.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:03 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,543,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
This caught my eye even more that the "We're really stupid" portion.

They concede they screwed up then decide they should have swabbed a 4 year old with obvious problems for explosive materials instead?

Intelligence is dropping at an alarming rate and now we have no common sense in this country.
hey, haven't you ever seen Dennis the Menace? those little boys can be very dangerous! obviously, the TSA was doing its due diligence stopping and fully inspecting this terrorist threat to our nation.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:05 PM

3,951 posts, read 6,933,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
hey, haven't you ever seen Dennis the Menace? those little boys can be very dangerous! obviously, the TSA was doing its due diligence stopping and fully inspecting this terrorist threat to our nation.

I think from now on, when we travel, eat lots and lots of chili before going through security.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 PM

1,041 posts, read 4,035,268 times
Philly airport is THE worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or