U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 08:19 AM

3,872 posts, read 7,771,050 times

Advertisements

We're driving down to Orlando this summer and we thought on the way back we'd stop there to eat and tour the city before moving on. Is it worth it, or should we go somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 08:31 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,836,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
We're driving down to Orlando this summer and we thought on the way back we'd stop there to eat and tour the city before moving on. Is it worth it, or should we go somewhere else?
There is generally a long wait. There are a number of threads in the Savannah/GA forum about this.

I would try Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House if you want the experience of Southern Food.

Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room

Paula's brother/cousin? owns a seafood restaurant on Wilmington Island--''Bubba's" or something like that---I would be inclined to try that restaurant before the Lady and Sons.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:32 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,253,959 times
While I have not eaten there, I have friends who did last year. They really enjoyed the experience, even with the wait, and Bobby Deen was there that day, had pictures taken with everyone, signed autographs, etc. She said he was very gracious. However, I have heard the Mrs. Wilkes is excellent.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:14 PM

274 posts, read 764,241 times
I ate there last year and we were fortunate to walk in between lunch and dinner no problem. we had the hot buffet and it was absolutely great and the give you desert. I would say it's worth it. Also we stopped at Bubba's and I had the charbroiled oysters and they too were good. Check out both.

If your ever in the Atlanta / Marietta GA area Paula has a cousin that has a restaurant, Gabrielle's, that's known for her lunch and bakery items that are good also

Old 02-21-2010, 04:21 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,771,050 times
thank you!

I would love to try Mrs. Wilke's, but my husband doesn't want to eat family style like that. argh.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 AM

63 posts, read 190,825 times
We visited savannah last year and ate there. It was well worth the wait. The most delicious fried chicken and southern sweet tea ever! Waited about 2 hrs, but entire family enjoyed it.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:36 AM

63 posts, read 190,825 times
Sorry, I didnt post what the pictures were. The people are in line to get a table at Lady and sons. It was about 2 hours in line. They serve a buffet and my plate was full of the food from the buffet. We went in October.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:54 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,804,983 times
The food is delicious! Here is my story.... A few years ago we were stopping to spend the night in Savannah and we hit downtown about 7:00 pm. It was the Thursday before Labor Day weekend. We happened upon Lady and Sons right away and parked, but I knew I really just wanted to go into the gift shop. My husband said 'But don't you want to eat here?' - I told him of course!, but we had to get in line at lunchtime and get on a list and there was no way we could get in now. I went to the gift shop and my husband comes over to me and says 'Are you ready?' He had walked right up to the door, and they had plenty of seats available!! Well, even the hostess said this was unheard of but we walked right in. I was shaking I was so excited!!

Anyway, the food is very very good, but I would never wait in Savannah heat for hours to eat a meal .

On a side note, Savannah is AMAZING!!! We loved our very short stay in the city. The scenery, the architecture - it is just a not to be missed stop. Plus, you can always hit the gift shop at L&S as a last resort!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:17 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,231,994 times
Well I haven't eaten at Lady & Sons, but I did eat at Mrs. Wilke's last year.

It is an interesting and unique experience, but it is not fine dining, that's for sure. Extremely overcrowded and loud dining room, overcooked forgettable food. You get about fifteen minutes to pass around a dozen dishes, eat, and clear your own table.

I don't regret that I went at all, it was different than anything I've ever done. But if it is fantastic food you are looking for, Mrs. Wilke's isn't the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or