U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:06 AM

7,977 posts, read 11,652,026 times

Advertisements

I haven't traveled much for pleasure and am wondering about this. I have AAA and could use their travel agent service but do you pay a lot for that convenience? How much cheaper is it to try to book airfare and hotel and car on your own? Do you not have to worry so much about ending up in a crappy hotel with AAA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 06:29 AM

37,090 posts, read 45,584,713 times
They do not charge for their services. It's included with your membership. I'd say the service is pretty much obsolete for road trips (remember trip tics?), but if you are planning a foreign vacation or a cruise, I would want to have a human being to answer questions and smooth out all the coordination.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:14 AM

7,977 posts, read 11,652,026 times
Right, the service is part of what I pay for road service, auto insurance etc.

By pay I guess I meant in higher prices as in - they don't get you the best deal? Honestly I'm not sure I can find all the good deals other seem to but I wonder if they typically book more full price stuff.

For me, not interested in cruises etc. Usually I'm going somewhere specific for birdwatching, wildlife viewing that may or may not be off the beaten path versus more normal tourist destinations.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:53 AM

39,522 posts, read 47,675,353 times
In our experience with AAA they always seem to get us the best deal offered at the time. They do not get sub par conveniences. And if you show your AAA card when you go to make any purchases or on the road and stop someplace on your own, you'll usually get a courtesy AAA discount.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:13 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Unless you are very, very savvy about negotiating rates with hotels, they will get you the best deal.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 PM

8,239 posts, read 11,102,038 times
Default Yes, they're cheap

WHen I booked our rooms in Tampa in December I ended up paying about $ 10 more than the bottom price online but the convenience,maps etc was worth it. THere have been other times in the past when AAA really was the cheapest. I always check them before booking flights. And their service is excellent.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:01 AM

3,948 posts, read 6,928,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They do not charge for their services. It's included with your membership. I'd say the service is pretty much obsolete for road trips (remember trip tics?), but if you are planning a foreign vacation or a cruise, I would want to have a human being to answer questions and smooth out all the coordination.
You know, I miss the trip tics. They used to contain some useful information and history on the areas.

Their tour books have taken a hit too. They used to contain a lot of history about the areas. Now its only a few brief paragraphs.

I still use them as a guide and reference, but I do most on my own.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,535,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
You know, I miss the trip tics. They used to contain some useful information and history on the areas.

Their tour books have taken a hit too. They used to contain a lot of history about the areas. Now its only a few brief paragraphs.

I agree. Their tour books are largely irrelevant in the information age. You will get more accurate, more extensive, and more up-to-date info online. Also their maps suck! We have found them to be of less quality and sometimes inaccurate compared to a good store bought map. Of course all the AAA stuff is free (if you are a member) but I guess you get what you pay for.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,774,488 times
I miss the trip tics, too.
When I was young I used to travel a lot alone across the entire country several decades (cough, cough!) ago and used the trip tics quite a bit. They were great when you were unfamiliar with certain routes, services or attractions.

Not a member any more, but I used to find their travel services got as cheap a price as was available.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post

I have belonged to AAA for about 30 years. The only reason I am renewing with AAA is the road service. If you break down anywhere in the US and Canada, they will get a wrecker out to get you. You may have to wait a little longer but they get to you pretty quickly. Other services will pay you for charges you incur but will they call the wrecker at 3 am and get them out there,

The Tour Books are disappointing as they miss many of the newer sites. They do a very POOR job of fact checking. You will find attractions that closed two years ago in the book. Times of attractions are often wrong. I cannot believe that they can't hire someone to verify the information.

Their travel agents generally do a pretty good job. They do a GREAT job on Disney, Las Vegas and cruises. OTOH, in the day of Priceline and Hotwire, you can always do better. Of course, that takes a lot of effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or