U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 PM

8,037 posts, read 16,093,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Well yeah, but it would seem common sense that if you're flying a budget airplane you're not going to get all the perks you would flying a legacy airline, yes coca cola is a perk with budget airlines

I could see someone who has never flown budget airlines and then flies one could be in for a real shock though!
Thankfully, B6 is the biggest LCC out of my primary. I prefer it to some of the legacy carriers. It's comfortable, roomy and service is good. Not all budget airlines are created equal.

The other one that people seem to despise is Airtran. I've had nothing but good experiences with Airtran (when I was going West a lot a few years ago, I used to fly them BOS-MKE-SFO before I started doing Jetblue's nonstop). They HAVE put me up in hotels due to weather (Crowne Plaze, ATL Airport) and given me a number of free upgrades to business.

SW, on the other hand, is one of my least favorite experiences. I just prefer an assigned seat (especially since you can pick yours out online in advance on most airlines now) and I've found the shuffle while boarding and the customer service to be mediocre. From my region, anyway, SW is rarely the cheapest flight. Since Airtran and SWA are now the same company, I hope they retain their differences as I MUCH prefer Airtran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 10:00 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,269,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Thankfully, B6 is the biggest LCC out of my primary. I prefer it to some of the legacy carriers. It's comfortable, roomy and service is good. Not all budget airlines are created equal.

The other one that people seem to despise is Airtran. I've had nothing but good experiences with Airtran (when I was going West a lot a few years ago, I used to fly them BOS-MKE-SFO before I started doing Jetblue's nonstop). They HAVE put me up in hotels due to weather (Crowne Plaze, ATL Airport) and given me a number of free upgrades to business.

SW, on the other hand, is one of my least favorite experiences. I just prefer an assigned seat (especially since you can pick yours out online in advance on most airlines now) and I've found the shuffle while boarding and the customer service to be mediocre. From my region, anyway, SW is rarely the cheapest flight. Since Airtran and SWA are now the same company, I hope they retain their differences as I MUCH prefer Airtran.

AirTran never flew out of my city, so I never really had the opportunity to fly it, however SW does fly out of it. I've always been weary to use SW, especially with the fact that they don't assign seats. Something about that just really makes me feel weird, so I never buy a ticket through them.

I will for the most part defend Spirit to the end, I always have very good service with them and find the seats to be just as comfortable as any other airline out there.

I fly more than average, but not a LOT. If I chose to fly one airline I'd maybe make Silver.. which would get me absolutely nowhere. I basically just go for the best fare, because there's really not much of a difference between a budget and legacy unless having the free drink is a big deal to you OR you're a business traveler and racking up frequent flyer points is actually beneficial.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:10 AM

8,037 posts, read 16,093,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
AirTran never flew out of my city, so I never really had the opportunity to fly it, however SW does fly out of it. I've always been weary to use SW, especially with the fact that they don't assign seats. Something about that just really makes me feel weird, so I never buy a ticket through them.
It's even worse if you have to travel with someone. I know a lot of people who swear by SW, but I've never liked them. I feel like cattle being rounded up at boarding time. I know you can pay extra for priority boarding, but why?

Quote:
I will for the most part defend Spirit to the end, I always have very good service with them and find the seats to be just as comfortable as any other airline out there.
I think you feel the way about Spirit that I feel about Airtran. While it's far from perfect, I've never had a horrible experience. To be clear, I've never had a problem with Spirit and I don't fault them for not putting a traveler up in a hotel. Most airlines won't do that.

Quote:
I fly more than average, but not a LOT. If I chose to fly one airline I'd maybe make Silver.. which would get me absolutely nowhere. I basically just go for the best fare, because there's really not much of a difference between a budget and legacy unless having the free drink is a big deal to you OR you're a business traveler and racking up frequent flyer points is actually beneficial.
It's only in the past 2 years that I've started to loyal to one airline (Jetblue). They have the most nonstops out of Boston, they are very comfortable and convenient (a lot of legroom, Satellite TV, etc), and they're often among the cheapest. One thing I've done in addition to becoming more loyal, is open up a Jetblue credit card. It's actually amazing how quickly the reward points add up. My one beef with Jetblue is that they don't offer codeshares on too many other airlines (Lufthansa is one.. and they have a limited partnership with American). Still, I used to simply book the cheapest fare (sometimes still do if the difference is THAT much). But between the credit card and frequent flights, the points make it worth occasionally paying $10-20 more per rountdrip.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:09 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,566,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Spirit is a pretty bad airline, that is one of their problems after people fly them once they never fly them again.
Count me as one of those people. I flew them twice and hated the experience both times. Once, I can chalk up to random bad luck. Twice and I will take my business elsewhere. (Of course, now I prefer not to fly any commercial airline but that is due to TSA, not any individual airline).

Old 04-07-2016, 11:42 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,842,624 times
I dont like this airline

Old 04-07-2016, 12:25 PM

5,279 posts, read 2,714,475 times
Ive flown spirit from Chicago to Orlando... The plane was half empty lol ... we actually enjoyed the flight.. we were on a airbus which seemed nicer than a boeing ... no complaints

Old 04-09-2016, 12:26 PM

11,754 posts, read 6,322,781 times
Spirit Airlines seemed to be a huge ripoff when I tried booking it one time. "Hidden" fees kept on being added on that, by the time I got to checkout, I would be paying more than I would on a "normal" airline. I can't speak about reliability, though, as I never actually booked with them.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:13 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,821,591 times
One of the worst airlines I've ever flown. I'd never use them again.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 481 times
is ok but watch out at the parking lot . LOL.."http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2255887/Spirit-Airlines-jet-carrying-162-passengers-clips-plane-landing-Florida-airport-leaves-hole-tail-section.html "

i think the pilot was celebrating xmas season way too much..lol

Old 04-11-2016, 01:15 PM

5,477 posts, read 2,935,468 times
Read ALL the fine print. ALL OF IT.

It is one crazy airline, just read all the print.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or