U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 12:24 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,157,024 times

Advertisements

We are planning a two-week trip to Mexico this summer and are looking for an all-inclusive resort. It doesn't have to be fancy but would like it to have some great swimming pools, scenery, beach sports, decent food and various tours/activities either onsite or nearby.

I have been to the Royal Decameron in Nuevo Vallarta (and liked it) but would like something that is possibly close to some historic sites and other activities.

We'll be travelling with a 12-year old, so need something relatively family oriented, and, as we are already coming from the UK and will be booking/flying out of Toronto, need a good deal!! As in inexpensive

Has anyone vacationed in Mexico in the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 03:49 PM

668 posts, read 2,460,062 times
We went to the Iberostar Tucan in Playa del Carmen (fly into Cancun) in July a few years back. It was a really great resort, good food, friendly staff, and we found the best "deal" there. We were able to visit some Mayan ruins, Cozumel, and an ecological park called Xcaret. I would check it out.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,560,303 times
I stayed at the Barcelo Tucancun in Cancun in December. Got a good deal and the place was nice enough. Its not huge so 2 weeks may be a little long there. Although after a week of tequilla i'm usually burnt out, haha.

G Man

Old 02-26-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
We went to the Iberostar Tucan in Playa del Carmen (fly into Cancun) in July a few years back. It was a really great resort, good food, friendly staff, and we found the best "deal" there. We were able to visit some Mayan ruins, Cozumel, and an ecological park called Xcaret. I would check it out.
Thanks - how was the weather in July? I've been in June before and it was pretty hot and humid, but am guessing that July would be similar?

Old 02-26-2010, 12:44 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
i stayed at the moon palace just south of cancun at the end of july

my trip was delayed and i was switched over from my original destination due to a hurricane

we spent 10 days - the first two were king of gloomy as the storm continued to pass through - after that it was sunny, warm and humid

for some reason, it really didn't bother me too much - probably because we were being active and enjoying ourselves and able to swim frequently

i was happy with the resort and the company - by coincidence my brother went there with his family last june and had a blast as well

Old 02-27-2010, 07:01 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,213,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
i stayed at the moon palace just south of cancun at the end of july

my trip was delayed and i was switched over from my original destination due to a hurricane

we spent 10 days - the first two were king of gloomy as the storm continued to pass through - after that it was sunny, warm and humid

for some reason, it really didn't bother me too much - probably because we were being active and enjoying ourselves and able to swim frequently

i was happy with the resort and the company - by coincidence my brother went there with his family last june and had a blast as well
We stayed at the Moon Palace too, in August of '07. It's sort of like a little village. There's 13 or 14 restaurants and the pool is very large. Although the beach doesn't have the pretty blue water you'll find in the main hotel zone, it's still really nice and well maintained.
My kids, who were 12, 10, 7, 5 and 4 had a great time there. We went to Xel-Ha, a marine park with amazing snorkeling (here's their website: XelHa | Natural Wonder - Home) and had a blast..even my 5 and 4 yo's snorkeled. Another fun thing we did was the Selvatica Canopy Tour (ziplining through the jungle! Zip Lines and Canopy Tour Expedition in Cancun, Mexico, Selvatica The Adventure Kingdom - Exceeding your Expectations).

The Cancun area is a great place to visit, with or without kids!

Old 02-28-2010, 01:43 PM

Thanks everyone - great feedback and greatly appreciated!!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:28 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
We stayed at the Moon Palace too, in August of '07. It's sort of like a little village. There's 13 or 14 restaurants and the pool is very large. Although the beach doesn't have the pretty blue water you'll find in the main hotel zone, it's still really nice and well maintained.
My kids, who were 12, 10, 7, 5 and 4 had a great time there. We went to Xel-Ha, a marine park with amazing snorkeling (here's their website: XelHa | Natural Wonder - Home) and had a blast..even my 5 and 4 yo's snorkeled. Another fun thing we did was the Selvatica Canopy Tour (ziplining through the jungle! Zip Lines and Canopy Tour Expedition in Cancun, Mexico, Selvatica The Adventure Kingdom - Exceeding your Expectations).

The Cancun area is a great place to visit, with or without kids!
yeah - the place we were originally booked had less of a beach than moon palace, but was adult only

we were concerned about kids being our honeymoon and all, but the place was massive and there was plenty of room to stretch our legs and we didn't even really go near the kid oriented areas

was also nice taking the shuttle up to the sister properties in the hotel zone so we could see that picture perfect water and beaches ..... as I mentioned earlier there is something cool about sipping a margarita while you have a t-bone being grilled for you while standing on the beach watching the waves crash in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or