Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:12 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times

Advertisements

Avalon08, a quick tip when those fast-approaching Interstate signs come up: The three-digit EVEN numbered Interstates i.e. I-295, I-495 are loops AROUND a city. The odd three-digit interstates; I-395 etc. are spurs that go the the city's downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 03:58 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Crew, thanks....not sure anything would've helped. I had the instructions written down and had just looked at them, but I think to get on 495, I had to take the 395 exit first or some such thing....then, meanwhile, the GPS was flashing some other route, so I was second-guessing myself. A complete nightmare all around.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Crew, thanks....not sure anything would've helped. I had the instructions written down and had just looked at them, but I think to get on 495, I had to take the 395 exit first or some such thing....then, meanwhile, the GPS was flashing some other route, so I was second-guessing myself. A complete nightmare all around.
If it helps, I STILL make mistakes, even as a trained professional... The freeways near downtown Cincinnati are confusing, even if you've driven them before. I once ended up on the city streets downtown with my 53' trailer when I confused the exit for Fifth Street with the access for I-471...

I can't picture the junction of I-95 and I-395/I-495 in my head since it's been awhile since I've driven it. But I-95 and I-495 run together around the East side of D.C. so you can just follow the signs that have BOTH I-95 and I-495 on it. i'm thinking it's probably to the right as you approach.

I know GPS is a GREAT tool. But I worry that we will become SO dependent on them that we lose our "situational awareness" when we're behind the wheel. There are plenty of truckers who run into overpasses and bridges because they're so glued to that GPS...

Old 03-13-2010, 11:23 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
When I travel from Charlotte up to NJ, I'll take I-77 up to I-81, then cut across I-66 to the I-495 Capital Beltway to I-95 North.

At Baltimore, I like to take the older I-895 tunnel (I think that's the one).

On the southbound side (return trip), I'll get off onto Hwy 7 in Delaware, stop to eat and take the backroads down to rejoin I-95 in Elkton, MD, thereby bypassing the one toll anyway!

Old 03-14-2010, 03:02 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Don't think we missed the Md/Del tolls but instead of 13 we've taken 301 (just past Wilmington) which is a decent more leisurely ride that bypasses the worst of the Washington area , hitting l-95 again around Ruther Glen,Va.
Other ways, to the west of Wash may be too far out of your way, depending on where you are in Jersey.....like picking up 81 around Harrisburg.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:31 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
It's not the tolls but the idea of Delaware and Maryland charging for what is offered in VA, NC, SC, GA, etc. for free.......
That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is that VA, NC, SC, and GA are foolish to let people drive for free when they could charge them tolls.

If you look at the stretch of I-95 in the First State you'll see that a very large percentage of travelers are from out of state, just passing through. I think the voters of Delaware are quite rational to charge these out-of-staters a toll -- these visitors pay for a major road that, without their presence, would not be necessary for just local traffic. What's more, its a clever way for the people of Delaware to have people from out of state provide a significant portion of state government revenue.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:02 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
If it helps, I STILL make mistakes, even as a trained professional... The freeways near downtown Cincinnati are confusing, even if you've driven them before. I once ended up on the city streets downtown with my 53' trailer when I confused the exit for Fifth Street with the access for I-471..
The signage is really confusing throughout the Cincinnati area. I headed NORTH on I-275 coming eastbound on I-74 as the signed showed I-75 N to Dayton on the signage. I wanted to stay on I-74 to I-75.

I knew something was goofy when I was coming up to the Ronald Reagan freeway.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The signage is really confusing throughout the Cincinnati area. I headed NORTH on I-275 coming eastbound on I-74 as the signed showed I-75 N to Dayton on the signage. I wanted to stay on I-74 to I-75.

I knew something was goofy when I was coming up to the Ronald Reagan freeway.
Don't feel bad; I STILL have to think through the direction I want when I run through that I-275/I-74 mess...And, as previously discussed in the Cincy forum, the I-71/OH 562/Ridge Avenue mess gets my vote as one of the worst junctions in the U.S.A...

Old 09-28-2016, 05:53 PM

34 posts, read 37,656 times
I just came back from Boston, MA to Chesapeake, VA using my GPS. I programed it to "Avoid All Tolls" however I ended up on the Garden State Toll road in NJ and the camera took our photo! I was in a rental car so I hope it isn't going to be much! That was the only toll road we were on. It did take me about 16 hours but we did stop a few times to take a nap and to get refreshed. I have to fly back in Oct. and rent a Uhaul truck. I could take that route again, but it was very scary on I think 287 in NY? The road had a concrete barrier right on the dotted lines and seemed to go on for miles! It made me feel very uncomfortable and I drive a school bus! If I take the toll roads how do I do it in a Uhaul or should I just avoid them again? I just don't want to drive that stretch of road again where they were doing the construction!

Old 09-28-2016, 06:01 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
I've been driving on Rte 95 from Boston to Florida since I can remember (56 y.o.). I remember when sections of the highway in the Carolinas wasn't even complete and we'd have to get on and off Rte 301.

I think the entire Northeast Corridor sucks. From Boston to Richmond, it's terrible. We have almost always taken 287 over the Tappan Zee to the Garden State Parkway and hooked up with the NJ Turnpike near Woodbridge. We've done the PA route before but that isn't much better. We generally take the Francis Scott Key Bridge around Baltimore (695). Longer than going through the tunnel, but it's almost habit. We take 495 around Washington (towards Alexandria/ Woodrow Wilson Bridge) and then 95 the rest of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel