U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 10:59 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,886,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
I usually use this route to New England (when I used to live in Naples). Adopting it for you to cross the Delaware is the tricky part, but may be worth investigating for you if you're that fed up.

I hate I-95 congestion, speed traps, etc and found this to be more stress-free and very scenic as well.

Only suggestion is to have some ideas of where you can eat or sleep off of exits in the rural appalachian areas or bring a GPS to tell you.

Take I-78 West and cross the Delaware at Bethlehem, PA. (Or cross at Trenton and make your way via roads to Reading or Harrisburg to I-78)

It will join with I-81 before Harrisburg, of which you should stay on I-81 until you hit I-75 in Knoxville.

It's a straight shot to Naples on I-75.

Even though you hit Atlanta (which can be planned), you still avoid JAX + Orlando (and the other areas you mentioned).

I'm also seeing you stay in SC, so you can also take I-77 in VA to Columbia SC, bypassing ATL altogether.
I know this is an old thread but you do not pick up I75 in Knoxville. You would take I 40 west from Knoxville to I 75 just before Chatanooga. I81 ends at I 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 02:50 PM

34,377 posts, read 41,463,803 times
When driving the northeast corridor on frequent trips to Florida i time it so i'm driving through the NYC to Washington section of the trip around 10pm to 4am,very little traffic at those times.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:02 PM

15,536 posts, read 13,528,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I know this is an old thread but you do not pick up I75 in Knoxville. You would take I 40 west from Knoxville to I 75 just before Chatanooga. I81 ends at I 40
I-81 ends at I-40, out east of Knoxville. A person would take I-40 west past Knoxville a few miles where you would pick up I-75 south; so I-75 is picked up technically not in Knoxville, but about 10 miles west of it. I-75 then takes a person straight to Naples.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:11 PM

3,503 posts, read 4,958,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
The traffic in Northern VA!! Where the hell are these people going? Do they all work in Washington and live in Federick??? No matter when we hit it, day or night, it is always backed up!
Y
Some 120,000 people work just in the Tysons Corner area of Fairfax County, VA alone. And Fairfax County housing is so extremely expensive, that tens of thousands of employees there commute daily from homes in the southeast suburbs of Maryland (and even further south in Maryland such as Waldorf), or from further out in the Virginia Piedmont area - or Fredericksburg VA - which are some of the only places they can afford homes.

And no new Potomac River bridges (other than Metrorail) have been added since 1965, and meanwhile the area's overall traffic volume has quadrupled. More Potomac bridges are desperately needed further upriver (linking Leesburg with Poolesville) and possibly downriver (linking Woodbridge with Indian Head) but for various reasons they will never be built.

By the way, I want to warn everyone about the town of Emporia on I-95 in southern Virginia. It's one of the most notorious speed traps in the USA.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:03 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,541,004 times
The beltway in Northern Virginia has express lanes now, which didn't exist when this thread was created. That should be some relief for traffic, but you need to have an EZpass to use those lanes.

By the way, I-95 swings around the beltway in Maryland mostly, not Northern Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or