U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 07:07 AM

3,872 posts, read 7,779,496 times

Advertisements

we're doing the budget thing this summer - going w/ my husband on his business trip to Orlando. His job will pay for $109/nt towards hotel, we have to pay the difference. Found a resort hotel that has a special going on - 3 bedrooms, kitchen, living room, jacuzzi, 2 pools, etc for $159/nt and amazing reviews on tripadvisor.

I'm going to be looking for a crockpot at goodwill and garage sales this summer to take w/ us (don't want to take my old trusty b/c I don't want it to get broken) so we can have a few meals ready when we get home from the pool or parks. We're only eating out once a day, since we'll have a full kitchen. He gets $54/day for food which can be divided up however he wants to use it, so we might use that towards dinner/lunch each day.

I'm also thinking of getting some restaurant.com gift certs, although for the ones in Orlando, they seem to mostly be for Indian restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 12:41 PM
JH6

1,333 posts, read 2,620,488 times
you can do much better than that.

Read the priceline bidding assistance forums, then bid on a 4 star hotel. You won't pick the exact hotel before you buy it, but you will get a nice room.

Also you can rent a whole condo or house in orlando, just use something like VRBO.

This route usually has a full kitchen with all appliances and dishes/kitchen tools.

We usually make a stop at the local Publix, and do a little bit of shopping. Yogurts and granola for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, then we go out to eat for supper most nights.

Rentalcars.com for the rental car, and then book through the car rental agency itself. Look for coupons online or codes.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:03 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,779,496 times
we do have a condo. $40/nt out of pocket. can't complain about that.

we're driving up. It's cheaper, plus they'll pay gas and mileage. On the way back, we're gonna stop in the Carolinas for a day or two.

Publix is ok (love their ham croquettes) but superwalmart is cheaper, so we'll probably stop there instead.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:38 PM

1,785 posts, read 3,026,210 times
I know I am going to look SO cheap in saying this, but even when I stay at 4 star hotels, I stop off at a local grocery store and buy some fruit, milk, water, wine. I travelled for YEARS on business and am a HUGE tea addict. It irked me that I (my company) was paying $10 for a pot of tea to be delivered to the room lukewarm. I started travelling with a mini tea kettle, my own teabags and would stop off and get the milk. Endless cups of tea whenever I wanted them without the hassle of room service!

Even when in Vegas with friends, I buy wine after checking in and this way we can have a nice drink in the room before we go out rather than paying over-inflated prices on booze. And buying bottles of water for my room is a MUST. Why would I use the lukewarm water sitting on top of the minibar and pay $3-6 for it when I could get a case for that price?

I know, I know - I'm cheap - but it is about my own convenience too. Don't even start me on being in foreign countries for extended times and my smuggling in of PB&J (goes so well with a cup of tea at the end of a long day!!!).

Oh, and I agree with JustinH - renting a condo off of VRBO is a great idea. Very cost efficient, great condos with everything that your family will need/desire close at hand, and no worrying about Housekeeping banging on your door just as you got the kids to sleep.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:31 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,038,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
we do have a condo. $40/nt out of pocket. can't complain about that.

we're driving up. It's cheaper, plus they'll pay gas and mileage. On the way back, we're gonna stop in the Carolinas for a day or two.

Publix is ok (love their ham croquettes) but superwalmart is cheaper, so we'll probably stop there instead.

I guess that is ONE way of looking at it. It is just that many people on this forum could find a great place to stay for under $100/ night in the Orlando area and pay $0 out of pocket. That would be MY expectation on a business trip considering that NEARLY all the resort hotels in Florida are BEGGING for customers.

I went on to Hotwire with some random dates in June and I am seeing 3-4* 1BR and 2BR condos, with the overwhelming majority of them UNDER $100. If you are uncomfortable with the opaque sites, you can find some pretty good deals in Hotels.com.

Last April, I traveled throughout Florida on Priceline bidding BELOW $35 for 3* hotels and generally getting places like Staybridge Suites.

BTW, if you get vouchers from Restaurant.com, make sure that you read all of the terms of conditions as most end up being discount coupons.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,379,050 times
1. Pack your bags. Put on your travel shoes. Pick up your bags and walk a couple of blocks down the street and then back home again. Repack. Don't spend all your money on taxis.

2. It's good enough. Don't spend your whole vacation looking for something better or cheaper. In most cases, your first choice of hotel, restaurant, etc. is good enough. Deal with it and have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel