U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:08 AM

218 posts, read 654,976 times

Advertisements

I wonder how far in advance people will have to book accommodations, I would love to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 01:56 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,640,072 times
Quote:
Another serious problem to consider is the Russian visa regime. Right now it's like pulling teeth--and very expensive ones at that--to get a Russian visa. There is really no telling how the Russian will propose to solve the visa problems in order to let in thousands of foreigners. I can't imagine them letting go of their draconian visa requirements, but they will have to do something very different from what they're doing now if they expect to admit an Olympics full of foreign tourists.
Hmm... For me as a european citizen it is not so complicated to get a visa, I am not quite sure if it is the same for US citizen, but you only have to apply for at an embassy or a visa agency can do it for you, so there is no need to visit any Russian embassy and your Visa will be sent to you. It cost about $80-100 so it should not be that expensive part of your travel.

I always recommend people who want to visit Sochi also to visit Moscow and St.Petersburg as this cities are very beautyful and if you once have a visa for a certain amount of days, you can travel within russia as you wish.
Russia is pretty good in organizing that kind of events I think they will solve problems regarding accomondations and tourist infrastructure. I have been to Surgut this year and I was impressed about the infrastructure, very modern airport, very good roads, very new and modern university.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:41 AM

218 posts, read 654,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Hmm... For me as a european citizen it is not so complicated to get a visa, I am not quite sure if it is the same for US citizen, but you only have to apply for at an embassy or a visa agency can do it for you, so there is no need to visit any Russian embassy and your Visa will be sent to you. It cost about $80-100 so it should not be that expensive part of your travel.

I always recommend people who want to visit Sochi also to visit Moscow and St.Petersburg as this cities are very beautyful and if you once have a visa for a certain amount of days, you can travel within russia as you wish.
Russia is pretty good in organizing that kind of events I think they will solve problems regarding accomondations and tourist infrastructure. I have been to Surgut this year and I was impressed about the infrastructure, very modern airport, very good roads, very new and modern university.

Russian Visa Online, Moscow, Russia. Tourist, Business, Multiple-Entry Travel Russia Visa Support Invitation Services. Russian Federation Visa Requirements, Embassy and Consulate Application Form. Visas to all CIS Countries: Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhs is a good link for obtaining a Russian Visa. It looks pretty easy and straight-forward.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:19 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,296,090 times
I heard Russia has a very high rejection rate of US citizens, only behind saudi arabia ?

Old 07-14-2010, 04:35 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,372,609 times
Having much experience with Russian visas, I stand by my original statement firmly.

And the visa/visitor grief goes far beyond the actual visa. One needs a Letter of Invitation in order to even apply for a visa. Then there is the entry migration card. The official registration required once inside Russia. Foreigner de-registration if one goes elsewhere inside Russia for more than 72 hours, and then re-registration in the new locale. Trust me, it's insane.

And yes, the visa form for Americans visiting Russia is different than the visa form for citizens of other countries. The American version is about six pages long and wants info like the name and address of your high school, any clubs or organizations you've ever belonged to, other countries you've visited in the last 10 years, on and on and on.

Russia is notorious for it's expensive and convoluted visa regime.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:48 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,609,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Having much experience with Russian visas, I stand by my original statement firmly.

And the visa/visitor grief goes far beyond the actual visa. One needs a Letter of Invitation in order to even apply for a visa. Then there is the entry migration card. The official registration required once inside Russia. Foreigner de-registration if one goes elsewhere inside Russia for more than 72 hours, and then re-registration in the new locale. Trust me, it's insane.

And yes, the visa form for Americans visiting Russia is different than the visa form for citizens of other countries. The American version is about six pages long and wants info like the name and address of your high school, any clubs or organizations you've ever belonged to, other countries you've visited in the last 10 years, on and on and on.

Russia is notorious for it's expensive and convoluted visa regime.
I have heard to get a multi entry business visa as that seems to work best.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 AM

2,537 posts, read 8,136,188 times
My wife traveled to St. Petersburg on business (and a business visa obviously) a couple of years ago on relatively short notice. Her visa application was a headache even though her corporate travel partner assisted with it. We discussed my joining her on the trip and spending some time travelling after her conference concluded, but it was nearly impossible to obtain a tourist visa to do so...would've required sponsorship and an invite from a tour organization which of course costs $$$. Not to mention, Russia costs Texas $$$. A simple bottle of Coke in my wife's hotel was over $10 and her average room in an upscale business class hotel in St. Petersburg was almost $600/nt.

So given the high costs and complications of travel to Russia, the country missed out on our tourism dollars and we went to Spain together following another of her business trips. It seems crazy to me that a country which would use economic infusion from tourism would make it so difficult for folks to travel there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel