U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 05:56 AM

28,230 posts, read 47,671,613 times

Advertisements

BANGKOK -- Thailand is continuing to offer insurance coverage worth $10,000 to anyone harmed in riots and demonstrations as it seeks to attract tourists scared off by political turmoil, officials say.

Other carrots range from a waiver on all visa fees to discounts on airline landing fees.

Thailand Offers Tourists Free Insurance - Irresistible News Story - WCVB Boston (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/irresistible/22735843/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 02:38 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,663,272 times
Friends just got back from going to Thailand for great cheap dental work. The cost of the entire trip was good price. They enjoyed the time the spent! and saved thousands for the dental work that was done really good. Although the dentist only spoke two words. Open and spit.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,953,083 times
The annoying thing about these incentives is that they are only offered at the international airports and not at the border crossings. If you enter Thailand overland, you are SOL; you still have to pay visa fees and handle your own travel insurance.

Still, a Thailand visit is worth every Baht.

Because I often visit, I get all my dental and medical work/checkups/etc. done when I am in Taiwan. A regular workup plus medication without insurance will set you back maybe $20 tops. Less than a copay for a yearly checkup on a multi-thousand-dollar US insurance "plan"!

A dental cleaning plus X-rays runs about $15. The technology in the office of the dentist I go to is amazing! They X-ray you upstairs and then put a 360-degree view of your entire mouth on a plasma screen in front of the dentist chair while the dentist goes over it with you. Also, the techs just do tech work; instrument cleaning, paperwork, patient prep, and the dentist does all the cleaning and inspections. They're super-efficient about things so they can see dozens of patients in a day. I'm always in and out under a half-hour even with no appointment. It's such a switch from the US where you're lucky to see a dentist for 10 minutes during your 2-hour thumb-twiddling pre-scheduled visit where a tech does all your cleaning.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:38 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,421,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
BANGKOK -- Thailand is continuing to offer insurance coverage worth $10,000 to anyone harmed in riots and demonstrations as it seeks to attract tourists scared off by political turmoil, officials say.

Other carrots range from a waiver on all visa fees to discounts on airline landing fees.

Thailand Offers Tourists Free Insurance - Irresistible News Story - WCVB Boston (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/irresistible/22735843/detail.html - broken link)
The $10k coverage is specific to damages and injuries arising from riots and demonstrations. Tourists will still require a standard travel insurance.

FWIW, this travel agent opined:

Quote:
Keep this in perspective due to the nature of the incident. The facts are still coming in about this mans occurrence Costa Rican hospital, and I'm not totally certain he did not have travel coverage, but in my professional opinion, if he did have a reputable comprehensive travel medical policy, I truly believe this situation would not have happened.

source: http://articles.sma****s.com/article...hospital-.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or