Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:39 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,187 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are having a hard time figuring out where to go on vacation. We are planning our vacation for the second week of April, so the weather will be cool in many places. We'd like to stay somewhere near the water, but we also need a place where there is more to do than just the beach.

We were thinking of Miami, but we've been there so many times. Also, we've been to Savannah, GA, and Tybee Island, Destin, Jacksonville, West Palm Beach, FL all before for vacation. We thought about Myrtle Beach, SC, but figured the water would be too cold in April to enjoy the beach any.

Any ideas of fun vacation areas in either SC, GA, or FL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 04:05 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
If it's a beach in April, you will be sharing it with spring breakers. Your best bet might be a more upscale destination, such as Naples, FL. The water would be warmer too. My kids are on spring break in the next couple of weeks, headed towards Destin. The water is still way too cold for swimming that far north, but the college kids don't care.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:17 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Hubby and I are having a hard time figuring out where to go on vacation. We are planning our vacation for the second week of April, so the weather will be cool in many places. We'd like to stay somewhere near the water, but we also need a place where there is more to do than just the beach.

We were thinking of Miami, but we've been there so many times. Also, we've been to Savannah, GA, and Tybee Island, Destin, Jacksonville, West Palm Beach, FL all before for vacation. We thought about Myrtle Beach, SC, but figured the water would be too cold in April to enjoy the beach any.

Yeah, the water will be too cold at pretty much any beach in SC or GA during the 2nd week of April.

That said, Charleston is a great city to visit if you've never been there and if you are okay w/not being able to have fun in the ocean (the air temp may be warm enough then to at least spend some time on the beach - typically by mid-April, daytime temps are 70s or 80s).

You could take a day or two just walking around downtown viewing all the historic buildings, along the battery, spend some time in the open-air market. There's also the Charelston Aquarium, Ft. Sumter, Patriots Point Park, among many other things to see and do; if you check out the Charleston forum, there have been plenty of threads by locals who can offer a lot more to see and do.

If you want the beach/ocean though, you're probably going to have to focus on Florida.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:57 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
I second Charleston. I've been swimming in the ocean in NC in April many times; usually by April the water temps are 70+ south of Cape Lookout, and get warmer the farther south you go.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:16 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I second Charleston. I've been swimming in the ocean in NC in April many times; usually by April the water temps are 70+ south of Cape Lookout, and get warmer the farther south you go.
You are a brave soul to be swimming in the ocean in April in NC, you must have convinced your mind otherwise about the water temps being 70+ degrees! Here is a link that shows coastal cities ocean temps along the southeast coast.

US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Charleston's water temp is 64-68 on average during April.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:31 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Charleston or a nice drive through the Keys ending up in Key West

Old 03-08-2010, 09:19 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Charleston was my first thought as well.

A couple of other places that came to mind in Georgia are Jeckyll Island and Callaway Gardens.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:09 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post

Destin,Fl would be my first suggestion but youve been there already. Hilton Head Island, S.C. was one of my favorite vacation spots --- lots of sightseeing stuff, lighthouses, boat ride to Savannah for the day, nice beaches, water sports, bicycle renting, nice restaurants, romantic, live entertainment in most of the Hotels, superb Golf Course, locals seemed nice. Get a travel brochure .

Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 PM

99 posts, read 390,455 times
I like the west coast of florida sanibel/captiva island area.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
ohh i don't know about that. i live at wrightsville beach and the water is not 70+ in april; it is rarely 70+ in may. i usually start swimming in june, but the water stays nice until november.

if she wants to swim in april she should go to somewhere like miami.

otherwise, if you want to give up on swimming, my advice is to go visit Charleston or Wilmington. in april you will have great weather, and probably some festivals. of course you have the great food and historical stuff year-round.
http://www.charlestoncocktail.com/events.html
the Family Circle cup is fun.. a pro tennis tournament in Charleston, in April.

http://www.spoletousa.org/
the spoleto festival is the biggest festival in SC, and one of the more important ones in the southeast.. but it is later in the spring.

http://www.ncazaleafestival.org/
wilmington has their azalea festival in april, too. nothing like spoleto, but one of the better weekends to visit.

i'd recommend hilton head if you want a resort-style vacation. there is no "city", not many locals, it is like 80% tourists and the island is mostly behind various gates.

myrtle beach is like a huge theme park. tacky and cheap, but fun. it is a good choice for kids' entertainment.

Last edited by le roi; 03-09-2010 at 08:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel