U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:20 PM

5,541 posts, read 5,727,717 times

Advertisements

The Canadian side is embarassingly better.

If you remember the old Superman movie with Christopher Reeve, there's a part where the kid jumps or falls over and Superman saves the kid....that is the Canadian side. It's sort of like a theme park or a touristy beach area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 PM

18 posts, read 29,169 times
I will suggest you Canada the people are very friendly and services are good .

Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 PM

7,187 posts, read 11,244,324 times
We always stay on the Canadian side. It's a much better choice than the US side for the reasons mentioned in this thread.

However, be sure to do some of the touristy stuff on the US side (especially the Cave of the Winds & Hurricane Deck!)

Old 04-02-2010, 04:22 PM

56,778 posts, read 81,126,018 times
Keep in mind that on the US side, the quaint villages of Lewiston and Youngstown are worth checking out. Here's some more good information about the area on the US side: Historic Lewiston, NY
Chamber of Commerce - Lewiston NY, Youngstown NY, Porter, Ransomville, & Sanborn ..::.. Lower Niagara River Region Chamber of Commerce
Artpark: Western New York's Premier Destination for Music, Theatre, Family Fun
Search Results - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Search Results - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Old 04-07-2010, 04:17 PM

4,909 posts, read 3,403,749 times
Another vote for the Canadian side for all the reasons enumerated by others. If you have the time downtown Toronto is not too far away and also an excellent spot.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:57 PM

39,591 posts, read 47,849,351 times
We were there 2 years ago on the Canadian side. Fantastic. More to do, lot's of beautiful scenery. We ate off the main tourist part of town. Just go about 2 blks inward and you'll find a lot of reasonable places to eat.
Niagara on the Falls is a spectacular small town as said above. A must if you have time. If I remember correctly it's about a 30 minute or so drive.
All of the posters above that say Canadian side are correct, you'll love it.
We also city toured Toronto and it was an excellent trip too. Especially the CN Tower.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 PM

160 posts, read 568,653 times
Default Travel update

Quick update on our trip. It was fantastic. Very relaxing. We spent two nights at NOTL at the Angel Inn. Although it was kind of gloomy and we did get some rain, we really enjoyed it. It was not too busy since "tourist season" had not started yet. What a great town!!! We then went to the Falls area and stayed at the Marriott. Wonderful views from the hotel. Did the Maid of the Mist and the Butterfly place. All in all, a great time. Thank you for everyone's advice.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:12 AM

645 posts, read 1,290,178 times
I kinda liked Niagara Falls, me and the s/o went last August, it was nice, but a tad overrated.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:32 AM

160 posts, read 568,653 times
Its funny you should say "overrated" - I thought the same thing. It was pretty amazing seeing the Falls from the Maid of the Mist - but just looking at it from a distance - it wasnt that impressive. I think the reason we enjoyed it so much is because it was just relaxing. However, with that said, it still was pretty neat to see it. We also took a tour of the power plant that uses the water energy and that was interesting.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:51 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,695,412 times
We were there last year. My take on the place is that they ruined it with all the development. It could have been done better - kept it as pristine & natural as possible. That road along the Canadian side should be ripped out and turned back to nature. I hate seeing massive hotels so close to it. But it's all too late, what's done is done. I guess I felt that way about the place because I'd just spent 2 weeks in the American Southwest prior to that, enjoying some gorgeous national parks where nature took precedence, not man and his crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel