U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 03:04 PM

18 posts, read 57,168 times

Advertisements

this is my favorite sites for researching reviews of hotels, destinations etc. Great forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 03:06 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,159,413 times
I agree - it is FABULOUS. I don't make a booking for a hotel before I go to tripadvisor and get the best price for the highest rated property!!

I have also found some really great out of the way gems for dining on there!

Old 03-06-2010, 03:10 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,940,607 times
I like it too, but you have to read over several opinions to make a decent judgment. I laugh when I read somebody outraged that, say, a Hampton Inn doesn't have room service...hello? It's a different type of hotel!

Old 03-06-2010, 03:23 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,958,366 times
Agreed! I go to hotels.com, travelocity- whatever....and before I book, I check out tripadvisor for reviews.

Always remember to 'review' your stay...that way the site stays up to date.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:57 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,413,601 times
I read the reviews, but don't base my decision to stay at a particular hotel solely on those. Some people will complain about any little thing. I think my favorite to date is the person who went to Krakow and complained about the tv playing only Polish channels. Also, it's been known for hotel staff to write positive reviews to boost up the ratings of their hotels.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:48 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
The good part about Trip Advisor is that it gives you some idea of what you will get when you stay at a particular hotel or resort.

However, for it to be useful, you need to spend a while looking at a couple of dozen reviews to get a reasonable picture of the hotels.

So many people post such petty concerns about anything that was not perfect. My favorite was a person who complained that they would not let her keep the room for an additional FIVE hours on a holiday weekend at NO CHARGE.

It is pretty easy to determine when the hotels are being reviewed by their staff. Generally, they are not very good at hiding their affiliation.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:37 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,844,169 times
My favorite site for trip planning, with Virtual Tourist a close second. I actually found CD through TA, as I was looking for something where you could learn what it was like to live in a city, not just travel in it. I just happened upon someone on TA mentioning CD. Their forums are Trying different google searches didn't turn up CD oddly enough.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:30 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,917,231 times
I like Tripadvisor, Virtual Tourist, and Eurotrip. There are many others, but those are my favorites. (The last one is more for backpackers, cheap airfare, and budget trip-planning.)

I do agree that you have to sort of read through the lines of some of the reviews in Tripadvisor. Some guests are petty, and some of the reviews just sort of ring false. I do not make a hotel decision solely on Tripadvisor reviews.
But they help.
And the forums are helpful for logistics.

I think CD could (if they wanted) be a competitive force in the online travel forum world, posts from here have shown up for me while googling.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:30 PM

791 posts, read 2,459,914 times
I've mentioned the Trip Advisor site to several questioners on this forum. However, the moderator of the "Maryland" forum deleted my post, claiming I was violating the City-Date rules about "advertising" other sites. The moderators of other States' forums however don't seem to mind my mentioning "Trip Advisor" so I will continue to do so, whenever I think it will be of help.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:19 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,917,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
I've mentioned the Trip Advisor site to several questioners on this forum. However, the moderator of the "Maryland" forum deleted my post, claiming I was violating the City-Date rules about "advertising" other sites. The moderators of other States' forums however don't seem to mind my mentioning "Trip Advisor" so I will continue to do so, whenever I think it will be of help.
This happened to me a couple years ago, when CD wanted no mention of what could be perceived as competition. I had a Tripadvisor post deleted.
In the Florida forum, I even posted the website of a hole-in-the-wall oyster eatery and it was deleted.
I think the rules have relaxed a bit, but maybe they still look at such things on a case-by-case basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or