U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Here, here, me too. Europeans in general are better educated on politics, history, geography, ecology, etc. So they are often passionate about current issues. And American culture is everywhere, TV, movies, food, cars, etc., AND their economies are quite effected by ours, so you can't really blame them for having angst toward Americans.
I absolutely disgaree with this.

I don't find them any more or any less in tune than any other cross section.

they have a more in depth understanding of history and culture for their area - which is to be expected .... where we go wrong is think that translates into this greater knowledge because it's also the part of the world where many of us derive from so we study that history as well

also the reason why US culture is everywhere is because people can't buy it up fast enough

in my experience, regardless of where you travel, people who care about such things are very interested and knowledgeable about their immediate area - they then know a little about other high profile places that get attention (english knowing about NY & LA, americans knowing about London, germans knowing about tokyo, etc) ......... then the low profile places really aren't too widely known except for a couple talking points

europeans are really good on european history - americans have some knowledge on european history because it influences our culture - americans are really good on american history - europeans share some of that history with us

people are people the world over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,157,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I absolutely disgaree with this.

I don't find them any more or any less in tune than any other cross section.

they have a more in depth understanding of history and culture for their area - which is to be expected .... where we go wrong is think that translates into this greater knowledge because it's also the part of the world where many of us derive from so we study that history as well
I am curious as to how one makes an assessment as to who is better educated in world affairs, ecology, politics, etc., and comparing the depth of understanding that resides within people's brains. How does one go about determining who is better educated in history and culture? Or in anything for that matter

Old 03-10-2010, 09:30 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Despite this, I'm often surprised how Euros don't seem to be aware of the diversity in America. They think New York City is typical America! I tell them to go to middle America and rural areas to find mostly white, Republican voting backward folk who doubt science, hate the government, and just think it'll all take care of itself as long as you don't ask for more taxes.
Wow, do you really believe what you wrote here? Talk about Europeans not knowing about the US...

Old 03-10-2010, 09:40 AM

604 posts, read 656,752 times
Now we're getting into politics? Everyone has different opinions, and the minority will always look different in the eyes of the majority...no matter who it is or where it is.

Europeans do have a higher quality education, at least for teenagers if they choose to pursue it.
I've got a friend who lived in Germany, one in England, one in Italy, all have lived in the US and understand how their system works, and the United States is lagging in educational areas because Democrats (had to throw something in there) throw money at school and assume we'll get smarter

Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,408,296 times
Here's an article on how to avoid looking like an American when traveling. How ridiculous! I'll have to remember to pack my ketchup packets on the next trip..... Somehow I don't think any of these tips would help me blend in with the locals in Ethiopia.

How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist | Interesting Pictures

Old 03-10-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post

Europeans do have a higher quality education, at least for teenagers if they choose to pursue it.
I've got a friend who lived in Germany, one in England, one in Italy, all have lived in the US and understand how their system works, and the United States is lagging in educational areas because Democrats (had to throw something in there) throw money at school and assume we'll get smarter
Do you have anything to suppport your widesweeping statements?

The 2009 Legatum Prosperity Index

Germany ranks 19th out of 100 countries for education.
The UK ranks 21st.
Italy ranked 17th.
The USA ranks 7th.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:11 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Here's an article on how to avoid looking like an American when traveling. How ridiculous! I'll have to remember to pack my ketchup packets on the next trip..... Somehow I don't think any of these tips would help me blend in with the locals in Ethiopia.

How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist | Interesting Pictures

That middle one looks more eastern european to me...

Old 03-10-2010, 12:17 PM

604 posts, read 656,752 times
Sorry for all the links, this is the main site...
NationMaster - Education Statistics

and here's just some other stuff
Grade 12 advanced students math (most recent) by country
Grade 12 advanced students science by country. Definition, graph and map.
Reading literacy statistics - countries compared - NationMaster
Scientific literacy statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

Hey, we ranked 2nd in attainment at least...

Educational Attainment tertiary (most recent) by country

They do have different time schedules and better nutrition, don't waste their time as much (will prove this too if you'd like?) etc. etc.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Sorry for all the links, this is the main site...
NationMaster - Education Statistics

and here's just some other stuff
Grade 12 advanced students math (most recent) by country
Grade 12 advanced students science by country. Definition, graph and map.
Reading literacy statistics - countries compared - NationMaster
Scientific literacy statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

Hey, we ranked 2nd in attainment at least...

Educational Attainment tertiary (most recent) by country

They do have different time schedules and better nutrition, don't waste their time as much (will prove this too if you'd like?) etc. etc.
So you are proving my point. Thanks. Italy and Germany both scored worse than the USA in reading literacy and in scientific literacy. And all three of your "better countries" - Italy, Germany and the UK, all scored worse in educational attainment than the USA.

And incidentally, UK students can leave school at age 16 - which is why those taking the grade 12 math and science are the keeners doing their O and A levels.

I'd say 'nice try' but you have succeeded only in blowing a huge hole in your own argument

Old 03-11-2010, 01:13 PM

12,264 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Pose as canadian??? WHAT THE HELL FOR??? This cannot be a serious post. Are you that f*%^cking delusional that you think you need to do that?

By the way I am in Europe right now, the thought would never occur to me in a million years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel